Pirates Sign Catcher Grandal During Super Bowl

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Pirates Sign Catcher Grandal During Super Bowl

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

1 year $2.5 million plus incentives.

bucco boy

Re: Pirates Sign Catcher Grandal During Super Bowl

Post by bucco boy »

Solid signing. This is an insurance policy if Henry can't handle every day catching duties. The DH defintely helps situations like this.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

I have to think they are going to carry 3 catchers.

Keller trusts Delay. I don't think you mess with that.
Except for unforeseen circumstances, I don't see anyone grabbing Ali Sanchez off waivers with a major league deal so he can go to AAA.
val

Post by val »

I don't like this signing, or maybe I don't like what this means.

Davis was drafted #1 because he was a catcher. He spent last season shoe-horned into right, gets the opportunity of a lifetime with Endy injured (a clearer path to him getting regular reps behind the plate) and yet it seems we've signed more catchers than pitchers this winter.

If he's done as a catcher, it seems he never got a chance.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

val wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:19 pm I don't like this signing, or maybe I don't like what this means.

Davis was drafted #1 because he was a catcher. He spent last season shoe-horned into right, gets the opportunity of a lifetime with Endy injured (a clearer path to him getting regular reps behind the plate) and yet it seems we've signed more catchers than pitchers this winter.

Or do they see more value in his bat and don't want to to limit him to 120 games a season and the fatigue and grind of an everyday catcher?

It is interesting they signed Grandal.
I'm thinking they'll carry 3 catchers rotating Davis in at DH and RF.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

val wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:19 pm I don't like this signing, or maybe I don't like what this means.

So some things I read out of camp is that Davis and Grandal got pretty tight pretty quick and Grandal is teaching Davis a lot.

While I don't think Davis is spectacular defensively, He's good enough and so far this spring he has been better than good. I'm wondering if last year the issue was less about his defense and more about calling games.