What an embarrassment

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
bucco boy

What an embarrassment

Post by bucco boy »

Will Craig has been a pleasant surprise, but he will be a national disgrace on all the highlight shows tonight. If you haven't seen the sequence, it will be all over the place soon. Basically, he gave two runs away because he doesn't know the rules that every Little League kid knows. SMH. :oops:
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
bucco boy

Re: What an embarrassment

Post by bucco boy »

#9#

Post by #9# »

I've had no fewer than 10 people send that tweet to me. JFC.

JFC.
ReadingPiratesFan

Post by ReadingPiratesFan »

I knew it was gonna be bad this year, but, not this bad😩😥🤪....could it be coaching???
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

ReadingPiratesFan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:33 pm I knew it was gonna be bad this year, but, not this bad😩😥🤪....could it be coaching???
Maybe Craig's little league coaches.. :D
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

bucco boy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:54 pm
If it was Josh Harrison running the bases it would have been an inside the park home run.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Agreed. Two outs, runners on, always - ALWAYS - take the force play. Every time.

EVERY.
TIME.

Force play = does not matter what the runner(s) do, when they cross the plate, etc.

Never tag a player with two outs and anybody on base. Step on the @#$%ing bag for a force play.

Jesus, that was horrid.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

We all know Craig made a bonehead move, but my biggest problem is the lack of help from his teammates. This wasn't a bang-bang play. It was a quiet stadium. Someone should have yelled for him to run back and touch first. Leadership and communication is a must. This play demonstrates why.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

statscbl wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:26 am We all know Craig made a bonehead move, but my biggest problem is the lack of help from his teammates. This wasn't a bang-bang play. It was a quiet stadium. Someone should have yelled for him to run back and touch first. Leadership and communication is a must. This play demonstrates why.
Great point and I saw some of this on the reaction on Twitter. I think Perez was actually calling for the ball. That play shouldn't define Craig. Like I said, he has been serviceable since he has been called up. But it definitely helps the stink that Pirates have been putting out for the past couple decades (except for the three wild card years)
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

Notice Baez on the video is celebrating with a safe call at home. He actually didn't realize until a second later that he had to get to first or the run wouldn't have counted. Frazier was the other screw up here. If he is at first base, there is no run and two-run inning in a 5-3 loss. No reason for him to be anywhere else.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Great points Bucco. Before the shifts in baseball took over, I think this would have been routine. Frazier began the play on the second base bag and I think fell asleep over there.
RagleGumm

Post by RagleGumm »

bucco boy wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:42 pm Notice Baez on the video is celebrating with a safe call at home. He actually didn't realize until a second later that he had to get to first or the run wouldn't have counted. Frazier was the other screw up here. If he is at first base, there is no run and two-run inning in a 5-3 loss. No reason for him to be anywhere else.
I'm less inclined to blame Frazier. Both Craig and Perez get within a couple of feet of Baez. If either one of them tags him, the inning's over, regardless of whether Contreras crosses the plate. (And, for that reason, I actually think Contreras deserves more credit than Baez. It's his baserunning that distracts Craig and Perez.)

So I have some sympathy for Frazier. I don't know how anyone could anticipate what Craig did, let alone Perez's screwup on top of that.
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

All Craig had to do was touch first base.
“The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate”
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

No way this happens if Todd Frazier is still here.But we had to run him out of town for this.How is this bettering your ball club?
“The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate”
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

It was an embarassing cluster f**k. Great points about other players being culpable. In the grand scheme not a big deal. Just another loss to add to the pile.

Hopefully this was the team hitting bottom. Getting some of our better players back is going to help. Especially Hays.