Trade returns looking very good for Cherington so far.

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Black & Gold

Trade returns looking very good for Cherington so far.

Post by Black & Gold »

Yes, it's early, I get that. However, I think it appropriate to give the trade losses/gains a quick overview so far.

Jameson Taillon: He looks like a back-end starting pitcher. 5.02 ERA, 4.64 FIP, 6 starts, 28.2 IP. Dealing at 94-95 mph but throwing a TON of sliders and curveballs.

The return:

Roansy Contreras RHP Altoona AA at age 21. WOW!! 2 starts, 11 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 22 (!) K's, 0.00 ERA. Dealing at 95-97 mph, filthy slider and a curveball he just developed that is a hammer. That alone would make the trade a good one.
Maikol Escotto SS Bradenton .421/.522/.579, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 4 BB, 6 K, 19 AB. He is 18 in Low A, doing well
Canaan Smith-Njigba OF Altoona .400/.526/.733, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 BB, 3 K, 15 AB. Toolsy OF'er, again doing well.
Miguel Yajure RHP Indianapolis/Pittsburgh We have seen him pitch in the majors. Command pitcher, low 90's, plus curveball.

This is a win right now. The Yankees would probably deal Taillon back to the Pirates even-up for Contreras, the best player in the deal.

Josh Bell: Wow, he is struggling massively. Hitting .134 with 3 HR's, still terrible on defense. Striking out 31% of his plate appearances. Looks lost.

The return:

Will Crowe RHP Majors 4 G, 15 IP, 4.02 ERA, looks decent when he finds the strike zone. Dealing 94-95 mph, good slider, really like his change. He can get lefties with that slider/change. Impressive his last outing, 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R.
Eddy Yean Bradenton RHP Low A 1-1, 19.29, 2.1 IP, 3 hits, 4 BB, 3 K. Roughed up first outing, 1/3 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 5 R. Went 2 IP, 0 R, 2 K's last time out. Reports indicated dealing mid-90's, really good slider. Will stay a starter, may wind up as a reliever in the majors.

Given Bell's horrible start, another good deal.

Joe Musgrove was brilliant first 2 starts, including no-hitter. Evened out, last 3 starts, 0-2, 14 IP, 11 H, 5 BB, 3 HR. Overall, he is definitely producing - but the return is impressive.

The return:

David Bednar RHP Majors Dude is legit, a late-inning quality relief pitcher. 10.2 IP, 6 H, 3 BB, 14 K's, 1.23 ERA. Dealing 97 mph, blew a 100 mph fastball by Eugenio Saurez today.
Hudson Head OF 20 years old, Bradenton High A .261/.370/.261, 2 SB's, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 8 K, 23 AB. Started off 1-11, hitting now.
Endy Rodriguez C 20-years old. Catcher. Switch-hitter. Bradenton, .391/.481/.783, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 3 BB, 4 K, 23 AB. Hitting the hell out of the ball, good defender. Switch-hitting catcher with power, plate discipline, plus arm, athletic, good defense. Yes, please.
Omar Cruz LHP Greensboro 0-1, 18.00, 2.0 IP, 1 hit, 5 BB, 4 K. I start, control issues. Lefties ...

Couple other young guys, one from the Marte trade:

Nick Gonzales RH 2B (draft), Greensboro, .348/.423/.609, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 6 K, 23 AB. Hitting well in A-ball. Great swing, bat speed.
Carmen Mlodzinski RHP (draft) Greensboro, 0-0, 0.00, 3.0 IP, 0 hits, 1 BB. 4 K. Became known at the alternate site last year, coaches were saying "watch this kid." First start, dealing upper 90's, filthy slider, overpowering.
Liover Peguero SS (Marte trade) Greensboro, .389/.450/.778, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 5 K, 18 AB. Wondering about the power, 2 bombs in his first 7 games.

Very impressive showing by Cherington in the early returns.
bucco boy

Re: Trade returns looking very good for Cherington so far.

Post by bucco boy »

That's what you do when you rebuild. Accumulate as much young talent as possible and hope some become big-time players.

Looking good so far.

Thanks for the review.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

bucco boy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm That's what you do when you rebuild. Accumulate as much young talent as possible and hope some become big-time players.

Looking good so far.

Thanks for the review.
No problem. The thing that gets my attention is basically ALL of these guys, apart from Nick Gonzales because Covid, are young for the level, and producing with significant skills. Pitchers overpowering older hitters, batters hitting for power plus contact.
Az Bucco fan

Post by Az Bucco fan »

Thanks for the update....I would say that so far so good.....they won't all make it but some good numbers...hi lite Endy Rodriguez. 8-) 8-)
#9#

Post by #9# »

Great stuff.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Love the update Black and Gold. Keep us posted.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Statscbl asked for it, you got it - some updates.

Musgrove trade:

Omar Cruz LHP 22 year-old lefty in high-A Greensboro. Massive difficulties first start, walked 5 in 2 IP. Much, much different outing last time - 4 IP, 0 H, 2 BB, 10 K's. Lefties ...
David Bednar RHP We are seeing him develop into a dominant late-inning guy. "Oh, you can find those guys anywhere." Really, how about we ask the Mets, Phillies, Braves, D'Backs Reds, Angels, etc.? So far, 15.1 IP, 11 H, 3 BB, 19 K's, 2.35 ERA, 0.91 WHIP. His ONLY negative is the 2 HR's allowed.
Endy Rodriguez C B/T B/R. Future catcher for the Pirates, I believe. Still hitting. .343/.439/.600, 3 2B's, 2 HR's, 7 RBI, 5 BB, 8 K's.

2018 Trade involving Luplow, Eric Gonzales

Tahnaj Thomas RHP 21 years old, acquired in trade that sent Luplow to Cleveland. Greensboro, high-A, 2 starts. 7 IP, 3 H, 4 BB, 15 K's, 1 R, 1.29 ERA, 2.20 FIP. Reportedly dealing up to 100 mph. As is true with a lot of younger pitchers dealing that hard, some command issues as evidenced by the 4 BB in 7 innings.

Taillon Trade

Taillon struggling. Watched him and he looks like he is afraid to throw strikes. I saw a zillion 3-2 counts. I counted them, he literally figuratively threw a zillion 3-2 counts. Mercifully, the zillion 3-2 counts actually wound up shortening the game to 17 hours, 21 minutes, one of the fastest Yankee games this year. Last start, 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 9 K's, 4 R. On the season, he now has a 5.40 ERA and 4.47 FIP. The return in a deal that more and more I think is going to make the Archer-Meadows/Glasnow/Baz deal look equitable:

Maikol Escotto SS RHB Kid can hit, and walk. Fanning a bit too much but he is 18 years old in A-ball. Most players that age are in high school, swinging metal bats. .367/.472/.467. 30 AB, 11 H, 1 2B, 1 3B, 6 BB, 9 K's.
Miguel Yajure RHP We see once again what he can do. Last start, 5 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 K's. So far this season, 9.1 IP, 5 H, 3 BB, 8 K's, 3.86 ERA.
Canaan Smith-Njigbe OF B/T L/R 22 year-old OFer at Altoona (AA). .308/.441/.654, 3 2B's, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 2 SB, 7 BB, 7 K's. I think the numbers tell the tale here.
Roansy Contreras RHP Greensboro. Last spotted walking across a lake while dealing 98 mph and fanning two batters per inning. Okay, yes, one of those claims is obviously impossible and done for comedic purposes (apologies to the devout), since I mean, come on, fanning two per inning in professional baseball, that is ... okay, the walking on water thing is the joke.

Some other updates

Michael Burrows RHP. Another guy of interest. He is a 2018 draftee, 21 years old, RHP, now in Greensboro (high-A). Saw a YouTube clip of him working out indoors with some pitching facility and he was dealing 98 mph. Smallish right-hander, 2 starts, 8 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 15 K's. Not surprisingly, his ERA is 0.00. His FIP (a statistic I once mocked and now put great reliance on) is -0.18. Yes, he has a negative FIP.

Nick Gonzales 2B B/T R/R Had his first 0-5 game that leveled his stats quite a bit. Now at .333/.395/.641, 6 2B's to lead the SAL, 2 HR's, 3 BB, 11 K's. 5th in the league in batting, 6th in OPS. Fanning more frequently than I would expect for somebody with his lightning-quick swing but this is his first season in professional baseball and he is posting numbers ranking in the top-10 in the league.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I feel like I should be paying you. A lot of factual information that has me cautiously excited about the future. It also says I should be traveling to catch some minor league games.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

statscbl wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:58 pmI feel like I should be paying you.
statscbl wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:58 pmA lot of factual information that has me cautiously excited about the future. It also says I should be traveling to catch some minor league games.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

[quote="
Taillon struggling. Watched him and he looks like he is afraid to throw strikes. I saw a zillion 3-2 counts. I counted them, he literally figuratively threw a zillion 3-2 counts. Mercifully, the zillion 3-2 counts actually wound up shortening the game to 17 hours, 21 minutes, one of the fastest Yankee games this year.
[/quote]

Love that comment. have a friend who is a huge Red Sox fan and he always refers to those matchups as Athens v. Sparta, to which I point out, "Yes and they last about as long at the actual Peloponessian Wars."
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Corsair wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:53 pmLove that comment. have a friend who is a huge Red Sox fan and he always refers to those matchups as Athens v. Sparta, to which I point out, "Yes and they last about as long at the actual Peloponessian Wars."
Baseball fans are known to get into some heated exchanges about the Peloponnesian wars, the effects of marginal tax reductions on the deficit and the prime rate, and Dickens vs. Hawthorne.

In a related story, Roansy Contreras as expected was roughed up a bit his last start. 6.2 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 6 K's, 0 R. That outing raised his ERA from 0.00 to 0.00. So far this season, the disappointing Contreras is 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 17.2 IP, 7 H, 3 BB, 28 K's and a FIP of 0.54.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Black and Gold, We are all looking forward to another one of your minor league updates.