Other Teams/other Games

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
GreenWeenie

Other Teams/other Games

Post by GreenWeenie »

For those who follow or care about what's going on elsewhere....

I'll begin with....

Tigers 5-0 since A.J. Hinch yanked Javy Baez for messing up the number of outs on a certain play.

Discipline. Pay attention. Don't play on cruise control.

Or, feast on pumpkin seeds while balls are in play.

The book gets thrown at you.
statscbl

Re: Other Teams/other Games

Post by statscbl »

I am all in favor of that and wish more managers would do that (one in particular).

However, when the Cardinal's manager Ollie Marmol called out Tyler Oneill in the post game for his wide turn and not hustling in a play he got thrown out at the plate for, it was puzzling. In St. Louis, Oneill is known for 2 things. 1) How hard he works and 2) always being hurt. Oneill heard about what Marmol said about him through a reporter. Most Cardinal fans like Oneill, while Marmol got booed last week-end. The Cardinals are 5-8 since he did this.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I prefer that managers do things privately MOST times....I didn't agree with Marmol opening up on his guy.

Our should be a bit firmer, IMO, but allow that he might be different behind closed doors.

I feel that some men should have been made to sit out the next game.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I enjoy the culture so far this year. I think most if it could be credited to Cutch, Santana and the fact that we are winning.
Watching a Rays game, they were talking about how a team priority for them is how fast the batters get out of the box. With the players we have, that might be the #1 thing I would like our players to do on a regular basis.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

All true, but those comments pertain to our team. The thread's for other teams. Just saying.

At the 10% pole, as nice a start as I'd even hope for. Two Away sweeps.

Not long ago, we went the season with none.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

GreenWeenie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:59 pm All true, but those comments pertain to our team. The thread's for other teams. Just saying.

Atcthec10% pole, as nice a start as I'd even hope for. Two Away sweeps.

Not long ago, wee went the season with none.
Next road series is at Washington and Tampa.

They have a good chance of sweeping the Nationals next week on the road. That would be three road sweeps in April alone. The Tampa series will be a lot of fun, can’t wait for that matchup.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Cards get a win today (4/19/23), Reds lose, and it looks like the Cubs and Brewers will win their games. Pirates destroyed the Rockies again 14-3.

The NL Central race should be a good one this year.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

GreenWeenie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:59 pmTwo Away sweeps. Not long ago, we went the season with none.
Oh, GreenWeenie, prior years have seen NUMEROUS road sweeps. By the other team, but still ...
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Budda bing! Everybody's a comedian. ;) But....you're right.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

NDBuc28 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:17 pm Cards get a win today (4/19/23), Reds lose, and it looks like the Cubs and Brewers will win their games. Pirates destroyed the Rockies again 14-3.

The NL Central race should be a good one this year.
The NL Central teams have the best combined win-loss percentage in the National League and the second best in baseball (next to the AL East).
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Worst record in the NL belongs to the St. Louis Cardinals. That can't be sitting well. I've had a tough prediction year, but I feel safe in saying that the Cardinals will have a new manager before opening day, 2024. I'd be surprised if they don't make a change sometime during this seaason.

They're 0-10 in series openers so far this season. That's not good.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

GreenWeenie wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:07 am Worst record in the NL belongs to the St. Louis Cardinals. That can't be sitting well. I've had a tough prediction year, but I feel safe in saying that the Cardinals will have a new manager before opening day, 2024. I'd be surprised if they don't make a change sometime during this seaason.

They're 0-10 in series openers so far this season. That's not good.
You brought up the discipline where the Tigers benched Baez and they got better. Ever since the Cardinals manager Marmol benched Tyler Oneill and called him out publicly, they have been awful.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I see those as having certain differences.

I dont know the details of the Tigers case, but I thought that was handled better than what tge Cardinals manager did

Some analysts said that Marmol made a questioble decision. Then, he not only went public with it, he doubled down on it with the media.

Personally, I think that Marmol has lost his clubhouse. I wonder whether his players care whether he stays or goes.

In the Togers case, the hosts on MLBNR have said that it was more clear cut and handled a bit more quietly.

I've heard Marmol a few times. I can see how some people wouldn't like the way he comes across sometimes.

I'm sure tgat there are other reasons why his team's losing. I dnk how much he helps or hurts matters.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Luis Roberts of the White Sox was benched a week or so ago for not hustling. Since then he has 2 homers a batting average near .500 and an on base over .500.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

The top 2 pitchers, based solely on ERA, go head to head tonight in Minnesota. It will be Alex Cobb vs Sonny Gray from Target Field tonight.

Keller currently has the 9th lowest ERA for starting pitchers that qualify.

Other top pitchers on the bump tonight: Gerrit Cole, Drew Smyly, Eduardo Rodriguez, Nathan Eovaldi, Yu Darvish and Spencer Strider.

Could be a lot of movement in the ERA standings tonight.