Early Season Observations

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
bucco boy

Early Season Observations

Post by bucco boy »

Well, we are 10% through the season and the Pirates sit at 7-9 - 4th place in the NL Central, 2.5 games out of first place. Long way to go, but I think we all will take we got so far. MLB Power rankings moved us from last to 27th. (Yipee!), Here are some of my early season observations.

The lineup
When Hayes returns, move Reynolds to CF and make Evans your fulltime left fielder. No reason to have Fowler or Alford in the lineup every day. Also, play Gonzalez more regulary at SS. Maybe 2 out of every 3 games. His bat is good for the position and although Newman has flashed some good leather, I am still not sold he can hit in MLB.

If you do what I recommend, I think this lineup can compete every day.

Our defense has been solid. What an upgrade Moran is over Bell. And when Hayes gets back, I think our team defense will be acceptable.

The starting pitching is an issue still. Keller and Kuhl have both been disappointing. Cahill is a journeyman who will give you a good start here and there but will also be pounded on a regular basis. I see him as an innings eater, but nothing more.

Brubaker and Anderson have been solid so far. If they can continue to pitch like this, we have a chance to avoid 100 losses.

Kudos to Cherington and Shelton because the bullpen has been very good. Yes, not perfect, but I like the way they have performed and Shelton has handled them much better than Clint ever did. (Early, I know, but I like what I see).

Hope they keep playing some good baseball and keep our interest. Looking forward to the rest of April.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
#9#

Re: Early Season Observations

Post by #9# »

bucco boy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:21 pm When Hayes returns, move Reynolds to CF and make Evans your fulltime left fielder. No reason to have Fowler or Alford in the lineup every day. Also, play Gonzalez more regulary at SS. Maybe 2 out of every 3 games. His bat is good for the position and although Newman has flashed some good leather, I am still not sold he can hit in MLB.
I agree with the above.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

If Evans goes to LF, one of the Fowler/Alford suckage needs dumped. They will need another infielder.
Will Difo stay then?
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Moran made a nice backhanded catch on the bounce on a throw from 3rd the other night. On the replay, he looked calm and collected.

I believe Moran will have a better season than Josh Bell.