World Series Predictions-Join In!

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
statscbl

World Series Predictions-Join In!

Post by statscbl »

Let's see if we get some world series predictions from multiple readers before it starts.
I will start it off by saying Phillies over the Astros in 6.
GreenWeenie

Re: World Series Predictions-Join In!

Post by GreenWeenie »

I hope that you are right.

Since you took that, I'll go the other way, using what my head thinks rather than what my heart hopes happens.

Stros. Six.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I'll go with the Astros in 7.
val

Post by val »

Sorry to be late to this, but given that I'm a contrarian and that it costs nothing to make a prediction, I'll say Phillies in 5. And that's what I would have said yesterday at 6pm.

The Phillies have all the makings of a team of destiny to me, plus they have a couple of guys who have won it all before and love the big moment.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

GreenWeenie wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:35 pm I hope that you are right.

Since you took that, I'll go the other way, using what my head thinks rather than what my heart hopes happens.

Stros. Six.
Here is our winner.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

75% luck.

I was about as unsure of that as any prediction I've ever made. But, I seem to have a knack for calling WS as far back as a kid. I'm not good at other sports things.

I was way off on the scores, though. Some of these games were not very close.

I knew that both teams were good; the Phillies having a couple more holes. I was hoping for a Phillies win, but Cinderella's dust blew off.

Well done by the Astros. They were strong the whole season. I remember way, way back when we had teams like that. {{{ Super sigh.}}}
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

So, I'm talking to this couple in Philly.

The husband badmouths the Phils. "They suck!," he says.

This was after Game 5.

I said, "Sir, right now, your team's second best. If they wi. The next two games, they're world champions."

"They still suck," says he.

So, I come back with, "The Phillies suck? Be glad you're not a PIRATES fan like me. I'll show you 'suck.'"

He had nothing to say.

"Get on your hands & knees and thank God for what you have."

His wife laughed at him.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

GreenWeenie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:52 pm So, I'm talking to this couple in Philly.
This was after Game 5.
I said, "Sir, right now, your team's second best. If they wi. The next two games, they're world champions."
Reading this, I don't feel bad for their fans at all. Cheer when you win and turn on them when they lose. Yankees had Judge carry them all season, then they boo him when he struggles in the post-season. I listened to whiny Cardinal fans most of the year about their management or players.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I dont mind it. I wish Pirates fans standards were as high. We get the team we get....and, we lose.

The guy's comment came after the team was no hit.
val

Post by val »

statscbl wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:00 pm
GreenWeenie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:52 pm So, I'm talking to this couple in Philly.
This was after Game 5.
Reading this, I don't feel bad for their fans at all. Cheer when you win and turn on them when they lose. Yankees had Judge carry them all season, then they boo him when he struggles in the post-season. I listened to whiny Cardinal fans most of the year about their management or players.
I agree. I don't talk with fans like this, one of the reasons I don't go to sporting events live anymore, nor do I present as a sports fan in real life either. I've come to believe that fandom is more likely to bring the worst out in people than the best. Yeah, I'd hate to get no-hit in the playoffs, but as you say, their season had been a stunning success to that point in time.

Interesting your comment about whiny Cards fans... In my experience, Cards fans are usually the smartest, most knowledgeable of fans.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

To be fair, the passionate Phillies fans have been aware that their season wasn't what I'd consider a stunning success.

Stunningly successful clubs don't often have managerial changes. Some have, but nowhere near the majority.

Or, finish in third place.

14 games back.

Fact is, had that large market Milwaukee Brewers club not made a salary dump trade....then choked, we would never have considered the Phillies' season a success at all, let alone a stunning one. It would've been a good one.

The success came during the post-season. That was stunning.

This guy knew that. He anticipated that Cinderella's clock was about to strike midnight. And, it did.

28 other teams' fans would have gladly traded places.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

val wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:31 pm In my experience, Cards fans are usually the smartest, most knowledgeable of fans.
Can you give me an example or two?
val

Post by val »

statscbl wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:42 pm
val wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:31 pm In my experience, Cards fans are usually the smartest, most knowledgeable of fans.
Can you give me an example or two?
Gosh, there are many. A guy in high school. A college roommate. A guy I worked with at my first duty station. And his son.

It took me a while to realize that the Cards have more of a national fan base than any other team save Boston and the Yanks. I've just met more of them over the years, and they seem to know baseball. I have four or five friends who are Yanks fans, but they only know the Yankees. I sat in front of five Cards fans the one time I went to spring training in Bradenton. Their game had rained out so they drove half way across the state to watch us play Detroit (I think.) By the 5th inning I'd stopped talking to my friends and just moved back a row to talk with them. Then there was the Cards fan I met at the Parkland March in DC. It had been a month after UVa (#1 seed) had been knocked by #16 UMBC. This guy knew sports and just because I wanted to talk about something other than Virginia's loss, we talked baseball.

I'd never really put it these terms before, but a former long-term poster here, #9, said much the same, which sort of confirmed my bias.

Who do you think has the smartest fan base?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wouldn't think that the Cards have more of a national following than the Dodgers and Cubs. Who knows? Not sure how or even if things like that or "knowledge" is measurable.

Going by another message board out there (not this one, of course) I'm ruling out the Pirates for the answer to your question. :(

I'd say that many fans follow a team or two, but dont follow all of them. I don't follow West Coast teams as closely, or the American League as a whole. I probably have more of a passing knowledge of them. There's only so much time in a day.
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Cards were the team furthest west for a long time weren't they? Combine that with fandom trickling down through generations and the Cardinals' success over the years and it's not surprising that they have a pretty big following.