MLB Post season 2022

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
NDBuc28

Re: MLB Post season 2022

Post by NDBuc28 »

GreenWeenie wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 am I didn't look to see if I'm right. Just eyeballing the teams, am I right to say that the Guards are the lowest-payroll remaining club?

Take note that the Cost Of Admission's not going down anytime soon.

So, when BOB says (just about anything) believe him at your own risk.
This would be something Kovie would know off the top of his head.

But yeah I believe you are correct the Indians payroll is around 27th in the majors. Just ahead of your beloved Bucs.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If we went by only the 26-man MLB amount, we're a bit lower.

The Guard reminds me of our first WC year in that, they benefitted from under-performing teams (White Sox), teams that just don't have it (Twins) and teams like the Bucs (Royals, Tigers.)

Nothing at all wrong with that. You win when you win, and they have talent.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I enjoyed the 4 games in one day. I thought it created a lot of excitement, a little like the NCAA tournament (at a much smaller scale). I understand they are spreading games out to try to help get more TV money, but the dragging it out the way do seems to hurt much of the excitement of the play-offs. 4 Teams played game 1 on Tuesday, but then don't play Wednesday or Friday. Still much better than no baseball.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Four baseball games Saturday with a maximum of four games on Sunday. A good sports week-end for multiple tvs.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm a bit concerned that what I expected would happen...is happening. Rather than making a statement, I'll ask the question in hopes of raising discussion:

How relevant is the RS now, with the revision of the playoff qualifiers?

The complaint I've most often heard about the former WCG is the (perceived) "unfairness" of teams finishing in the top 10, but having only one game to win to advance in the playoffs. So, that wasn't satisfying enough people- and owners need more money- so they expanded the field to 12.

Now, teams with previously unimpressive records got hot at the right time; rendering the RS all but meaningless as the Phillies advance and the Padres very well should join them.

A related question- Is the purpose of "the championship" to determine the best team this season....or, the hottest team in October and November?

Neither team came within a 100 miles of winning its division. The Phillies at one point were only a few games better than the Pirates; albeit in a far stronger division. The Phillies finished a distant....distant third place. At least the Pirates came close when we won 98 games that year. The field was ten teams.

"Bigger isn't necessarily better." The purpose of the NCAAT is to determine the year's national champion. Does it take 68 teams to determine the champion? I think not. We would get the same champion if the field was limited to 32. They added a couple unnecessary rounds for...the money.

MLB added a couple playoff entrants for....the money.

Andy Van Slyke was interviewed recently. Another of my expectations- People griped about the WCG...then, they moaned until they expanded the first round to a three-game series. Van Slyke and others aren't satisfied with that. They want it to be five. It's never enough to satisfy some people.

Will it take 8 NCAA FB teams to determine the champion....that four haven't? I highly doubt it. The difference between the team rated 1 and the team rated 8 will be significant more often than not.

Will fans be more inclined to do what they're already doing in many sports- ignoring the RS and just waiting for the post-season and watch the better teams play?

Finally, what will teams do as a result? Will they continue to build quality rosters for the RS by going after top talent...or, will they be less inclined to do so because teams like the Dodgers and Mets fell short after investing so much in their MLB rosters?

We've seen BOB take that garbage "just get in, anything can happen" approach, and we see the result of that today. The problem with taking the "just get in" approach is that teams don't do enough to get in, so some competitor gets in.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Let me start by saying the Dodger(111-51) lost 5 out of their 6 games to the Pirates(62-100) this year. There is so much luck in a 5 game series or a 7 game series in baseball, anything can happen. 2019 we had a world series that the road team won all 7 games.
This 162 game season, it was pretty obvious the best two teams in baseball were the Astros and the Dodgers. I will say I am finding the play-offs more entertaining this year than most, but not sure what the season was for.
Why should the Astros who finished 16 games ahead of the Mariners in the same division have to play a best of 5 to see who advances?
Why should the division champ Braves who finished 14 games ahead of the 3rd place Phillies in the same division have to play a 5 game series to see who advances?
Why should the Dodgers who beat the Padres in the same division by 22 games have to play a 5 game series to see who advances?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

One year shouldn't call for a knee jerk reaction, but there could come a time when they look at things like re-seeding.

That written, teams still need to produce when it matters, and the teams that won these series are the ones that did- this past week.

A week earlier? A week from now? It's a cliche, but it applies. The outcomes could have been a lot different. Or, not.

That's baseball. That's life!
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

GreenWeenie, I think you are right on this one. I am sure I am over-reacting, but would still like all division winners to play less rounds then the wild card teams. I missed the excitement of pennant races this year.....but I am enjoying the heck out of the upsets in the play-offs. Really pulling for the Guardians to knock off the Yankees tonight.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

People/fans. Gotta love 'em. :)

People love upsets... except, of course, when we don't!

No one knows this more than us old folks Yinzers. Back then, the two best met.

NCAAT, everybody loves the early round upsets. The cream wins.

Football? Gimme a break. The Super Bowl had the Rams vs. Bengals; not the two best teams.

Football? Tennessee just beat Alabama. Everyone outside of Tuscaloosa loved it.

The seasonis a marathon. You can't Peter out at the end. The teams left have the kick.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

GreenWeenie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:49 pm The seasonis a marathon. You can't Peter out at the end. The teams left have the kick.
I like the analogy and agree, but I view it differently. The marathon is done. So as long as you were in the top 30% of the marathon, you now qualify for another race to decide the champ. Let's now change the race to a sprint. :)
Still fun, nonetheless.
I hope they reschedule this game to tomorrow because I don't think I will be able to stay awake for the finish of it tonight.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

statscbl wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:39 am
GreenWeenie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:49 pm The seasonis a marathon. You can't Peter out at the end. The teams left have the kick.
I like the analogy and agree, but I view it differently. The marathon is done. So as long as you were in the top 30% of the marathon, you now qualify for another race to decide the champ. Let's now change the race to a sprint. :)
Still fun, nonetheless.
I hope they reschedule this game to tomorrow because I don't think I will be able to stay awake for the finish of it tonight.

Game 5 Yankees vs. Indians has been postponed

Game 5 will be tomorrow - first pitch at 4:07 Eastern
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

That's a good way of looking at it.

Another way-

The first 162 are a bunch of short sprints taken together. Most are 3 games with a few 4s.

The playoffs start at....bye for some, then 3 for some or 5, then as many as 7.

All told, I think the finalists could play as many as 179 games(?)

It's Le Tour de North America!

The griping this past week is the same as past years. The reason that it seems so much louder is because of the number of people in the cities.

When 3 million get mad, nobody cares. When 15 million moan, that's a lot of bellyaching going on.

When 3 million don't tune in or click, nobody notices. When 20 million don't click or watch, a lot of money's not being made.

For me, too bad. I'll watch the teams that advance. They deserve their reward.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I have enjoyed the discussion back and forth. Regardless of my belly-aching about fairness, I have enjoyed the play-offs this year mainly because of the upsets. We really have the both ends of the spectrum right now. In the AL, the top 2 teams are playing to get in. In the NL, the bottom 2 play-off teams are playing to get in.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Interesting, indeed.

By "bottom," we mean those low-budget Phildogs vs. the tightwad Pods.

A bottom-feeder series that a budget-conscious fan like Shed can appreciate! ;)

Just SPEND to get in.

Kind of nice to see a little new blood in there for a change.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

If they had increased the playoff field to 24 teams, we still wouldn't have made the playoffs.