MLB Post season 2022

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
NDBuc28

MLB Post season 2022

Post by NDBuc28 »

Hoping the Padres emerge from the National league, I don’t care for any of the other teams.

And anyone but the Yankees in the American League.

I am not a big fan of adding additional teams into the playoffs, but I am glad they have done away with the ridiculous 1 game wild card game. I am kind of digging this new playoff structure to be honest.
NDBuc28

Re: MLB Post season 2022

Post by NDBuc28 »

Indians 0 Rays 0

Heading into the bottom of the 12th

No ghost runners in the post season

I refuse to call them anything but the Indians

Screw the liberal loons cancel culture BS.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:09 pm Hoping the Padres emerge from the National league, I don’t care for any of the other teams.

I am not a big fan of adding additional teams into the playoffs, but I am glad they have done away with the ridiculous 1 game wild card game. I am kind of digging this new playoff structure to be honest.
Agree- Not a big fan of playoff expansion....but, I can learn to live with it.

Don't agree- I loved the WCG. Every time somebody bellyached about it and told me how "unfair" it was (boo hoo), I told them, "They could have won the division and had some other team worry about losing it. Don't like the WCG? Then, win the division. To me, it was "Game 7 without wasting time on the first six." All the marbles right from the get go.

The other thing I liked about it was that it forced managers to make more tough choices on their SP rotations. More often than not, they wanted their stud pitcher to be available for the WCG, so they'd have to look at how the rotation was shaping up during the final two weeks of the RS. It could cost then RS wins.....which could have had an effect on certain outcomes. That's not as big a deal now.

I can learn to live with the new format, too. I just preferred the former system's incentive on urgency better.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

GreenWeenie wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 pm
NDBuc28 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:09 pm Hoping the Padres emerge from the National league, I don’t care for any of the other teams.

Don't agree- I loved the WCG. Every time somebody bellyached about it and told me how "unfair" it was (boo hoo), I told them, "They could have won the division and had some other team worry about losing it. Don't like the WCG? Then, win the division. To me, it was "Game 7 without wasting time on the first six." All the marbles right from the get go.

The other thing I liked about it was that it forced managers to make more tough choices on their SP rotations. More often than not, they wanted their stud pitcher to be available for the WCG, so they'd have to look at how the rotation was shaping up during the final two weeks of the RS. It could cost then RS wins.....which could have had an effect on certain outcomes. That's not as big a deal now.

I can learn to live with the new format, too. I just preferred the former system's incentive on urgency better.
101 Win Met team would be making golf reservations under the old format. Cards would be too.

162 Game season (a marathon), deserves at least a 3 game series in the post season IMHO.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

All 4 games today are/were 1 run games.

Indians send the Rays home 1-0 in a 15 inning affair.

Mariners knock the Blue Jays out with a 10-9 win. Coming back after trailing 8-1.

Phillies up 1-0 in the 5th over the Cards

Mets 3 Padres 2 in the 5th
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:39 am
GreenWeenie wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 pm

101 Win Met team would be making golf reservations under the old format. Cards would be too.

162 Game season (a marathon), deserves at least a 3 game series in the post season IMHO.
Them''s the breaks. There's almost always going to be a good team that doesn't get in or fails to advance. I see that as a good thing. It gives those players an incentive to do better the following season, even if they go to another club.

Even marathons sometimes have a final kick. The WCG was the final kick.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Cards done

Phillies 2 Cards 0 FINAL

NL Central done

Mets 7 Padres 3 FINAL

Mets and Padres will play the only game 3 in the Wild Card round.

Way too much going on today, MLB playoffs, terrific college football games, a guy can barely keep up.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

What a disappointment the Central has been this year. The highlight was a big highlight- the three noted Cardinals ending their respected careers. Maybe a lesser one with the latest hype of all hypes, "Mr. Exit Velocity."

Two 100-losers and the Cubs languishing, for lack of a better word.

The Brewers pull a Buffalo Bills/San Diego Chargers fade. The competition's tough and they couldn't hang.

Thankfully, these things run in cycles. We've seen this quite the opposite not terribly long ago.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

I loved the last 2 days of baseball with this new play-off format. The downside is it makes the MLB season is about as meaningless as NBA. The games don't matter that much. The good teams knew they were in the play-offs for a long time. They pamper their players like never before during the season. The teams fighting for the last play-off spot had very average season. The Phillies beat out the Brewers for the last spot both finishing the season going 4 an 6. Not exciting. The only good race was the Braves-Mets, but they both made the play-offs, so who cares. If we want divisions to matter, having a division winner playing an extra round is not a big enough reward for winning the division. The Brewers were close to making the play-offs 8 games or so behind the Cardinals. All they would have had to do is win 2 games over the Cardinals to get in. Again, the last 2 days of baseball play-offs have been a blast, but it makes the season considerably worse, in my opinion. I'm with GreenWeenie on this one.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Careful. Agreeing with me is risky. :)))

That's an interesting take & observations. I hadn't considered some of those things.

To me, there is one incentive in some of these races, regardless of that "runaway factor." Matchups. What team would some other team want to play right now? I'd like to avoid playing a hot team right now, if I could.

But, yes, as far as the divisions go, the Braves/Mets was the only interesting one to me followed by the Phillies/Brew Crew, but that was for a WC. I live so far from Seattle that I had my eye on them getting in, but I wasn't as interested.

A side note? Post-Season Records mean 0 to me. "This guy has the most Post Season somethings or other." So what? I might be impressed by LCS or WS records. These extra early rounds dampen the PS records, IMO.

I usually wait until the semis (LCS) before I get really into it. I can't get enough of The Best vs. The Best.
Az Bucco fan

Post by Az Bucco fan »

Why is Arod allowed anywhere near an MLB broadcast booth? :?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Same reason Pete Rose was. :roll:
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

I'm really glad St. Louis laid an egg.

Rooting for the Mets tonight.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Ralphie wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:10 pm I'm really glad St. Louis laid an egg.

Rooting for the Mets tonight.
So far Musgrove is shutting them down.

6th inning and beyond seems to be Joes rock in his shoe.

Musgrove just gave Mets fans an ear flick.

4-0 Friars after 6 complete
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I didn't look to see if I'm right. Just eyeballing the teams, am I right to say that the Guards are the lowest-payroll remaining club?

Take note that the Cost Of Admission's not going down anytime soon.

So, when BOB says (just about anything) believe him at your own risk.