My Prediction Lineup for 2023

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

My Prediction Lineup for 2023

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Starters:
LF Reynolds
CF Bae
RF Suwinski
SS Cruz
3B Hayes
2B Castro
1B Andujar
C ?
DH ?

Bench:
C Delay
IF Castillo
IF/OF: Marcano
OF: Gamel

I'm hoping Sabol gets an opportunity to make the team and they resign Roberto Perez. Endy Rodriguez is close to ready. Davis (if he can stay healthy) is close too.
Down the road: A Sabol, Rodriguez, Davis rotation at catcher/DH/1B could be big for their bats.
urbanexplorer

Re: My Prediction Lineup for 2023

Post by urbanexplorer »

It is a bit odd we did not give Andujar more time at 1B to close out the season. Maybe they think his ceiling is only as a DH type guy. The list of free agent 1B is not great so either we trade for someone or take a guy like Sano who hopefully stays healthy.

I would like to see us bring back Heineman as the backup catcher and send Delay back to AAA. Delays' defense scares me and his offense is not much to write home about. Maybe we re-sign Perez on the cheap to mentor Endy and Henry a bit once they make it to the team in 2023 or maybe we can sign another veteran on the cheap - ne reason to invest anything more than a 1 year deal. Hopefully one of Henry or Endy can become the everyday guy before the end of next season and the other becomes the 1B guy we are missing.

I am not sold on Bae as an outfielder. He is going to need A LOT of time there and I am not seeing the "top end" speed it sometimes takes to range effectively in some of these largish outfields including PNC (his short area quickness is great though). Seems like this team is prime for a few trades to solidify the outfield. I would like to Mitchell get more time either at DH or RF at the beginning of the season - he at least projects as a non-platoon guy right now, unlike Suwinski who will need to learn how to hit lefty pitching.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

I chose Delay over Heineman because of Keller's ERA when he catches him. It was like 2.50 or so.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:30 pm Starters:
LF Reynolds
CF Bae
RF Suwinski
SS Cruz
3B Hayes
2B Castro
1B Andujar
C ?
DH ?

Bench:
C Delay
IF Castillo
IF/OF: Marcano
OF: Gamel

I'm hoping Sabol gets an opportunity to make the team and they resign Roberto Perez. Endy Rodriguez is close to ready. Davis (if he can stay healthy) is close too.
Down the road: A Sabol, Rodriguez, Davis rotation at catcher/DH/1B could be big for their bats.
LF Suwinski
CF Reynolds
RF Gallo
3B Hayes
SS Cruz
2B Castro
1B Carlos Santana
C Zunino

Bench:
Mitchell
Heineman
Castillo
Andujar

SP:
Contreras
Keller
Oviedo
Ortiz
Quintana

RP:
Bednar
Givens
Holderman
Wilson
Thompson
Crowe
De Les Santos
Ramirez
Fernandez
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

This line up is almost guaranteed to have the third consecutive 100 loss season. We need more major league ballplayers.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Shedman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:08 pm This line up is almost guaranteed to have the third consecutive 100 loss season. We need more major league ballplayers.

Yeah, 36 year old Andrew McCutchen and 37 year old Carlos Santana will be better.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:30 pm
Shedman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:08 pm This line up is almost guaranteed to have the third consecutive 100 loss season. We need more major league ballplayers.

Yeah, 36 year old Andrew McCutchen and 37 year old Carlos Santana will be better.
Almost all of the FA 1B are out of the Pirates price range. Andujar is another shot in the dark, I don’t think he is an everyday 1B. Nunez is still a year or two away from being ready. This team needs to figure something out at 1B, for some reason the Pirates brass doesn’t believe this is a premium position, they believe anyone can play the position. A good 1B can save a ton of errors, something the Pirates led the league in, by a lot.

Pirate needs: 1B, C, OF (1 if not 2), SP, RP - on a shoestring budget.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:55 pm
Almost all of the FA 1B are out of the Pirates price range. Andujar is another shot in the dark, I don’t think he is an everyday 1B. Nunez is still a year or two away from being ready. This team needs to figure something out at 1B, for some reason the Pirates brass doesn’t believe this is a premium position, they believe anyone can play the position. A good 1B can save a ton of errors, something the Pirates led the league in, by a lot.

Wil Myers is probably going to be bought out from his contract.
He's a guy who might sign knowing he could play everyday.

Making moves and spending mo ey just to make moves and spend money isn't wise.

I think the outfield will be fine with Reynolds, Bae, and Suwinski/Mitchell/Andujar/Marcano.
Suwinski needs to figure out how to hit everywhere but PNC Park.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:55 pm
Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:30 pm

For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason why we can't find a halfway decent 1Bman. When was our most recent? Was he Adam LaRoche?

We couldn't have traded for one? Picked up a castoff?

Yeah. I know ONE reason, but it shouldn't have always been external.

Why do we, as fans, just routinely accept that it has to be on some kind of shoestring budget? The Pirates have the money for at least three decent guys.

We need the guys, period. Nutting better get Cherington on it. They can figure out the "how" and "how much."
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Forgot Josh Bell. Maybe he was halfway decent or better. I'd take Josh Bell over any of the cast of characters that we tried to replace him with. He'd be The Tallest Midget in That Circus.