Rocker Watch

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Rocker Watch

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

bucco boy

Re: Rocker Watch

Post by bucco boy »

I think he's the pick. Pirates can posture all they want. Even if you take him and he busts, who can blame them for taking him. Safe pick but that's not why you should pick him. Pick him because you think he is going to be the best.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Yeah, it's going to be Rocker. For those who have not seen him pitch, check out this YouTube highlight sequence of his last start against Tennessee, rated #5 coming into the game and with a decent 2B prospect, Max Ferguson.

Two things I like about Rocker vs. Leiter. First, he has a very compact motion. Watch Giolito when you get a chance. Rocker is not quite that compact, but close. That motion allows him to be incredibly consistent, and hide the pitch type since fastball/slider have exactly the same delivery. Second, Rocker's command is superior at this point, by quite a bit and he has a much ... easier delivery. Maybe it's due to the motion, but whatever. Rocker seems like he is playing catch on Sunday morning; on the other hand, Leiter uses every ounce of his 205 lbs. on every pitch. Max effort guys do fine a lot of the time - Tim Lincecum for example - but not nearly as high a percentage as the pitchers with easy, compact deliveries.
ZelieMike

Post by ZelieMike »

I tend to agree with this. I am wary of guys who come on in rush later, like Leiter. I do think Rocker has higher ceiling, but Leiter has a better basement.

I would not be at all surprised though if they took Lawler. Last time they had this choice they took Taillon over Machado. What do you like more, a high end pitcher or an everyday SS who has Machado potential?

ZM
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Even if Lincecum is best case for a max effort guy, he effectively had 4 awesome years and 4 pretty bad years. If Leiter is that guy, that may be fine; especially if we're playing the get 5 years out of a guy and trade him game.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

These guys have us taking Leiter. Interesting Rocker doesn't go to the fourth pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-podca ... t-coverage
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

The more I read and the more I watch I'm kind of leaning more Jack.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

Leiter surpasses Rocker as No. 1 prospect.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-t ... t-coverage
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Leiter rises as a prospect and Rocker falls because ...

Rocker 55 IP, 25 H, 15 BB, 81 K's, 3 HR allowed - 94-96 mph, 84 mph slider unhittable
Leiter 55 IP, 17 H, 22 BB, 94 K's, 4 HR allowed - 92-95 mph (from what I have seen), 79 mph curveball unhittable

No explanation for the change in rankings. Both are dominating, Rocker with better velocity, much better command.

In sum, as far as I am concerned, absent some explanation such as injury, these stories about prospect rankings are a steaming pile of monkey dung.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

ZelieMike wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pmI tend to agree with this. I am wary of guys who come on in rush later, like Leiter. I do think Rocker has higher ceiling, but Leiter has a better basement.

ZM
Most see it the other way, Mike, saying Rocker has a high basement, sort of a first-floor basement, given his size, fastball/slider combination. At the absolute WORST, he is a dominant late-inning guy. If he continues to develop the change (it's a good one, he just doesn't need to use it) as a weapon against lefties, his floor becomes a 2nd story roof.

Leiter could be Roy Oswalt, but he has A LOT of Casey Mize/Mark Appel about him.
ZelieMike wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pmI would not be at all surprised though if they took Lawler. Last time they had this choice they took Taillon over Machado. What do you like more, a high end pitcher or an everyday SS who has Machado potential?

ZM
I don't think the comparison is legit, Mike. Machado was known as an other-world talent and would be 1-1 in this draft without a hint of a doubt. Machado is bigger, had bat speed that is well beyond what Lawler has to offer. Also, I read somewhere that scouts were a bit concerned that Lawler had fanned something like 17 times in 21 high school games - facing high school pitching while using a metal bat (toned down or not).
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

I wonder if any of Leiter's jump is because of the family genes? Daddy Al, uncle Mark, a cousin Mark Jr?
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Rocker reminds me a lot of CC Sabathia, and I mean that in a good way.
val

Post by val »

Kumar's got a better name. I'd choose him. I learned long ago that I have no business trying to predict future success, even in the sports I know better than baseball. With what I've read about Leiter, I'd be happy with either.
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

The baseball writers are just trying to generate interest in who the #1 pick is going to be. Seriously, click-fodder. Yesterday, Leiter goes 5 innings, throws 96 pitches, walks 3, gives up 2 HR's.

To the same team that the day before, Rocker went 9 IP, 0 BB, 1 ER, 8 K's, 109 pitches in his CG.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

Callis has Lawlor going to Bucs. Gonna be an interesting decision by Cherington and Co.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-draft ... e-coverage