Trade Talk

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
NDBuc28

Re: Trade Talk

Post by NDBuc28 »

Not a big fan of trading within the division, but this looks like a pretty decent trade from the Pirates perspective.

Nunez has put up some decent numbers in the minors so far in his career. 1002 AB, 41homers, 182 RBI’s .280 BA and the guy just turned 21 in March. Probably will not be ready for the majors until 2024.

Oviado is a nice young player as well, 24 year old with some upside.

Both players born in Havana, Cuba.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:39 pm Who from the Pirates get traded?

I'm thinking Gamel (though I think he'd be a great 4th OFer type of guy to keep), Quintana, and Newman.

I don't see Bednar going, unless it is a big haul. The PR nightmare is too big.
I’d move Bednar asap (for a good return of course), take advantage of the year he’s having. Trading a RP when you’re not competing should be no brained. One thing I like about Cherington is he doesn’t give a shit about the PR….last thing we need is another Archer trade.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

NDBuc28 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 am Not a big fan of trading within the division, but this looks like a pretty decent trade from the Pirates perspective.

Nunez has put up some decent numbers in the minors so far in his career. 1002 AB, 41homers, 182 RBI’s .280 BA and the guy just turned 21 in March. Probably will not be ready for the majors until 2024.

The fact that’s it’s in the division is probably why the return is unexpectedly good.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

When does the bidding for Tsutsugo and VanMeter start??
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:40 pm The rumor is the Yankees are looking to move Miguel Andujar.

He asked for a trade in June. He's added 1st base to his lost of positions played. He's 27. Has some pop.

That would possibly solidify 1st base.

Would you make a deal for him?

Who would you offer?
I remember when Cole was rumored to the Yanks the deal fell through because Huntington insisted on Andujar be included.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Rellimie wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:40 am
NDBuc28 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 am Not a big fan of trading within the division, but this looks like a pretty decent trade from the Pirates perspective.

The fact that’s it’s in the division is probably why the return is unexpectedly good.
Probably true

The Aramis Ramirez trade will haunt me forever
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

NDBuc28 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:48 am
Rellimie wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:40 am

Probably true

The Aramis Ramirez trade will haunt me forever
That’ll haunt everyone. MLB really fucked the Pirates on that one.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

This is nothing more than a straight salary dump. BOB's cash register goes CHA_CHING.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Shedman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:56 am This is nothing more than a straight salary dump. BOB's cash register goes CHA_CHING.
Quintana was making around $10 million a year over the last 4 years. He was so bad the last couple years that I think the Pirates were the only team to give him spot in the rotation. In return, Quintana settled for only $2 million. The plan the whole time was probably to hope he does well and trade him at the deadline. When he is a free agent at the end of the year, maybe the Pirates will re-sign him. :lol:
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

NDBuc28 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:41 am When does the bidding for Tsutsugo and VanMeter start??
That made me laugh. I was not happy about VanMeter joining the Pirates to begin with. More unhappy that he is in the line-up as much as he is. I will say that I glad we signed Tsutsugo at the time, but I guess I was wrong on that one. Is it too early to put Greg Allen on your list?
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

I'm starting to get disappointed.

I was hoping for some moves.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Bleacher Report gives the Pirates an A for the trade:
Pittsburgh Pirates get: RHP Johan Oviedo, 3B/1B Malcom Nunez

According to MLB.com, the Pirates got one of St. Louis' 10 best prospects in the person of Nunez. The 17 home runs he's hit at Double-A are indicative of the power he has packed into his 5'11", 205-pound frame.

Oviedo, meanwhile, had put up a 3.20 ERA with 26 strikeouts over 25.1 innings for the Cardinals. He posseses a fastball that's topped out at 98 mph, and it may play faster than that thanks to the reach afforded by his 6'5", 245-pound frame.

As Oviedo is 24 and Nunez is 21, the Pirates got two players who could be significant contributors for years to come.

Grade: A
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

I like what the Pirates did, and didn't do.

I thought Gamel would be traded but I guess no one wanted him. And I thought Van Meter would be DFA'd, but they are really thin at first base. That could still come.

In the minor leagues, generally speaking, it has been a very disappointing season. But they are making progress with the major league team. Still a few big holes to fill.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Any reports on how Bligh Madris looked at first base? I am all for giving one of our young outfielders a crack at first base, even at the major league level. Maybe Cal Mitchell or Jack Suwinski?