Let the young guys play

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Bucs71

Let the young guys play

Post by Bucs71 »

Watching the game today it was hard to stay awake can we please cut loose with all this dead weight we have on this roster and bring the young guys up and let them play
Shedman

Re: Let the young guys play

Post by Shedman »

We have been letting the young guys play for 15 years. What we need is to send all the young guys back to AAA, and bring in some major league ballplayers to replace them.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

First of all, I love the different opinions and how we are civil with each other. Keep the differing opinions going, especially if my opinions starting sounding like I am presenting them as facts.

-One thing I am guessing we can agree on, is it is time to cut Josh Van Meter.
-My dark horse pick at the beginning of the year was Yoshi Tsutsugo. He looked good with the Pirates last year and has proved me wrong this year. I don't think anyone would complain if he was cut.
-Gamel, Marisnik and maybe Vogelbach might have value with other teams, so I would expect these guys to play another couple weeks up to the trade deadline which is August 2nd this year.
-As far as our pitchers go, I can't keep track of them all, but they have done better than I expected this year.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

There's growing pains with young guys.
Ken Griffey Jr was a minor leaguer at one time. So was Stargell, Clemente, and Parker.

This team reminds me of the 2011 team. The June record of 1-2 games if reversed or were evenly split, people would have a different view of the team.

Depth is the problem and losing Reynolds just exposed everyone.

I have been for ballplayers not the Roger Dorn's.
McCutchen did that here. I lost a lot of respect for him for it.
val

Post by val »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:09 am

I'm not sure of what you're referencing here.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Cutch was probably the most exciting Pirate for the last 20 years. He ran hard to first, made spectacular plays and ignited all kinds of energy to the ball club. Later I think there were contract issues and seemed pretty upset they gave Marte his center field spot. He seldom ran hard to first anymore, the energy seemed negative. The smile was not there. That was just my take and could be totally wrong.
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

Cutch was great but Giles was my favorite Pirate of more recent years.

Yoshi is terrible but our options at first are very limited. Certainly Gamel and Marisnick should be traded if anyone will have them. Vogelbach I would trade if the offer is right, but otherwise keep because we could use him next year.

Otherwise there is not much to trade, other than Quintana. Maybe Stratton.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

val wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:24 pm
Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:09 am

I'm not sure of what you're referencing here.
He went from playing baseball to being a baseball player. He got his extension and money and his attitude changed. The excitement of the Zoltan flashes and other on field antics disappeared, and the "This Is My Spot" moment after Marte was caught with PED's.

Bucs71

Post by Bucs71 »

Shedman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:28 pm We have been letting the young guys play for 15 years. What we need is to send all the young guys back to AAA, and bring in some major league ballplayers to replace them.
Well I think we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon . Had much rather see Madris Swaggerty Bae Marcano and Suwinki back up than watching Tsutsugo Vanmeter and Marisnick who have no future with this team
ReadingPiratesFan

Post by ReadingPiratesFan »

Excuse me ,but, where do you think the “major league ballplayers” come from?? And Pirates played “young players for 15 years” is laughable.
“All we need is a bloop and a blast”…….Bob Prince
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

Bucs71 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:46 pm
Shedman wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:28 pm We have been letting the young guys play for 15 years. What we need is to send all the young guys back to AAA, and bring in some major league ballplayers to replace them.
Well I think we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon . Had much rather see Madris Swaggerty Bae Marcano and Suwinki back up than watching Tsutsugo Vanmeter and Marisnick who have no future with this team
The future never gets to Pittsburgh. The only thing that matters is who can help us win right now.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

ReadingPiratesFan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:06 pm Excuse me ,but, where do you think the “major league ballplayers” come from?? And Pirates played “young players for 15 years” is laughable.
You can play the young players all you want, it still won't make them major league ballplayers.
Bucs71

Post by Bucs71 »

Shedman wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:34 pm
ReadingPiratesFan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:06 pm Excuse me ,but, where do you think the “major league ballplayers” come from?? And Pirates played “young players for 15 years” is laughable.
You can play the young players all you want, it still won't make them major league ballplayers.
Well the ones that we are forced to watch play right now are not major league players that's for sure we need to find out if the ones in the minor leagues are or not