Game Day Comments - July

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Jolly Roger

Re: Game Day Comments - July

Post by Jolly Roger »

It’s really a shame to let this one slip away.
“Dead Men Tell No Tales”
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Keller has been flirting with danger the whole game.

4 hits and 2 BB allowed so far through 3 innings of work. The Phillies have so far left 5 OB.

Bucs still haven’t found first base.

No score through 2 1/2
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Let’s hope they don’t let another good start go to waste.
“Dead Men Tell No Tales”
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

A Pirate has finally found some buried treasure and has reached first base.

Hayes draws a 4 pitch walk with 2 outs in the bottom of the 4th.

Schedule a parade
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Chavis follows with the Bucs first hit of the game
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Now Gamel is HBP

Bases loaded with Bucs
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Castillo follows with a F-8

Bucs at least threaten in the 4th

No score after 4
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Goodness gracious it happens again, 3 rd game in a row. Newman at third with 1 out and Hayes at the plate. This time instead of striking out Hayes grounds one to third and Newman gets thrown out at the plate. Next batter (Chavis ) singles, which would have scored Newman from third if he didn’t get thrown out on the FC by Hayes.

1-0 Phillies after 6
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

Bucs on the board!!

Mitchell with a solo shot!!!

1-1 game
ReadingPiratesFan

Post by ReadingPiratesFan »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:58 am Goodness gracious it happens again, 3 rd game in a row. Newman at third with 1 out and Hayes at the plate. This time instead of striking out Hayes grounds one to third and Newman gets thrown out at the plate. Next batter (Chavis ) singles, which would have scored Newman from third if he didn’t get thrown out on the FC by Hayes.

1-0 Phillies after 6
it drives me crazy
“All we need is a bloop and a blast”…….Bob Prince
ReadingPiratesFan

Post by ReadingPiratesFan »

I’m sorry to say this in fact it hurts to say it , because I was shouting to bring him up, …..but I think O’Neil Cruz is not ready in fact, over powered by MLB pitching and his short stop play this inconsistent and 1st base bailed him out many times.
“All we need is a bloop and a blast”…….Bob Prince
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

ReadingPiratesFan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 am I’m sorry to say this in fact it hurts to say it , because I was shouting to bring him up, …..but I think O’Neil Cruz is not ready in fact, over powered by MLB pitching and his short stop play this inconsistent and 1st base bailed him out many times.
He is not some savior of the organization, at this point in his career, that is for sure.

However, he has a very high ceiling. I don’t think he will ever hit for a high average, he could if he uses his speed to his advantage. Players in today’s game just approach the game differently than they used to. They are all swinging for the fences, very few want to or have the ability to slap the ball through the defense. The 80’s Cardinals team thrived off of their speed and ability slap the ball, of course the Astro turf played a huge part in that. Coleman, McGee, and Smith used that turf to their advantage. Today’s players don’t even take advantage of the free base the defense gives them, and it is a free base when the entire infield is playing on the right side of the infield.

I think Cruz has the potential to someday put up a .275 average 25-30 homers, 80-90 RBI’s and swipe 30-40 bags a season. Hopefully his plate discipline improves and his OBP improves.

His defense is concerning and something he needs to work on. Throwing 100’MPH dirt balls to first base isn’t going to cut it.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

NDBuc28 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:01 am
ReadingPiratesFan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 am I’m sorry to say this in fact it hurts to say it , because I was shouting to bring him up, …..but I think O’Neil Cruz is not ready in fact, over powered by MLB pitching and his short stop play this inconsistent and 1st base bailed him out many times.
He is not some savior of the organization, at this point in his career, that is for sure.

However, he has a very high ceiling. I don’t think he will ever hit for a high average, he could if he uses his speed to his advantage. Players in today’s game just approach the game differently than they used to. They are all swinging for the fences, very few want to or have the ability to slap the ball through the defense. The 80’s Cardinals team thrived off of their speed and ability slap the ball, of course the Astro turf played a huge part in that. Coleman, McGee, and Smith used that turf to their advantage. Today’s players don’t even take advantage of the free base the defense gives them, and it is a free base when the entire infield is playing on the right side of the infield.

I think Cruz has the potential to someday put up a .275 average 25-30 homers, 80-90 RBI’s and swipe 30-40 bags a season. Hopefully his plate discipline improves and his OBP improves.

His defense is concerning and something he needs to work on. Throwing 100’MPH dirt balls to first base isn’t going to cut it.
Cruz isn't walking and K's a lot. But right now he'd be on pace for close to 30 HR's and 100 RBI over a full season.
His defensive runs saved has been good. The errors are going to happen. He gets to stuff normal SS's wouldn't.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

An interesting point by Dan that Cruz gets to balls that other shortstop don't. Is it possible, we could say the same if he were in right field? I don't know the answer, just asking. I'm not going to crucify Cruz for his throwing, but the scouts say Peguero is the reall deal at shortstop. I am fine with Cruz at short, but I think he might serve the team better if he were in right and Peguero or Newman at short.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »