Prguero Called Up From AA

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Prguero Called Up From AA

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Covid related is what's being reported.
statscbl

Re: Prguero Called Up From AA

Post by statscbl »

To be clear, I think Peguero has a better chance to be our future shortstop than Oneil Cruz. At age 21 and triple A experience, I also think Peguero won't be major league ready until next year. Oneil Cruz's potential as a major league hitter is through the roof, yet they keep playing him at shortstop in the minors as well. The fact that Peguero got the short-term call up instead of Cruz is a head scratcher, regardless of what they said. I hope the Pirates communication with Cruz is good because most of us don't really understand.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

The AAA team was in Georgia.
The AA team was in Altoona. Peguero was closer.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:27 am The AAA team was in Georgia.
Thanks for the response Dan. I know they said that, but my question is "Would they have brought up Cruz if he was closer?" Cruz got 3 hits on Thursday. Peguero didn't play for the Pirates on Friday. Cruz could have easily traveled 650 miles Thursday or Firday to get in the game by Saturday at the latest.
It's not like Marcano was an everyday shortstop anyway. Castillo and Park could both play short. Park or Chang or Chavis could play second. Chavis or Vogelbach could play first.
I may be totally wrong, but I think there is another reason why they didn't bring up Cruz. Just not sure what it is.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:27 am The AAA team was in Georgia.
You were right. I was wrong. You are smart. I am stupid. You are the best. I am the worst. :)