Oneil Cruz

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
NDBuc28

Oneil Cruz

Post by NDBuc28 »

Cruz swatted another homer today for Indy, bringing his season total to 7 to go along with 27 RBI on the season.

His average has creeped up to .220 on the season.

He is so much better at the plate as of late, however, I didn’t realize what a train wreck he has been on defense this season.

2 More errors today bringing his season total to 15. He is making an error every third game, which is horrible.

I don’t know what the Pirates are going to do with him. Move him to the outfield, keep him at short and hope his defense improves?

Peguero is hitting much better and may very well be the Pirates future SS, where does that leave Cruz?

2nd and 3rd base will be Gonzales and Hayes, which leaves SS or an outfield position for Cruz. At the rate he is kicking the ball around the infield, it might be in the Pirates best interest to move him to the outfield.

He is an intriguing player, most publications predicted he would win NL rookie of the year, prior to the start of the season. I just don’t see how he can be moved up to the big club at this point, unless his defense starts to improve dramatically.
bucco boy

Re: Oneil Cruz

Post by bucco boy »

I don't know where this guys is going to play. The bat will hit. But I think we are seeing he isn't a SS. Pirates should just play him full time in the outfield. He can also play DH if nothing else works.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

bucco boy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 pm I don't know where this guys is going to play. The bat will hit. But I think we are seeing he isn't a SS. Pirates should just play him full time in the outfield. He can also play DH if nothing else works.
I didn’t even think about DH, good call.

I thought he was some defensive whiz, with a great bat to boot. I was kind of disappointed yesterday to see he has 15 errors on the year.

The Pirates after 2 months, have finally figured out the starting rotation, not sure why it took them so long. The last thing these starters need is a SS kicking the ball around the infield.

I am curious now what Peguero’s error rate has been at Altoona this year. I am guessing it is much better than Cruz’s.
NDBuc28

Post by NDBuc28 »

bucco boy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:23 pm I don't know where this guys is going to play. The bat will hit. But I think we are seeing he isn't a SS. Pirates should just play him full time in the outfield. He can also play DH if nothing else works.
13 of Cruz’s 15 errors this season have come at SS. He has a .902 fielding percentage at short. Not good at all. His other two errors came in the OF, where he has a .867 fielding percentage. His OF play has been worse than at short.

Peguero hasn’t been as bad as Cruz defensively, he has 10 errors on the season and a .925 fielding percentage. Peguero also has a batting average .101 points higher than Cruz, and 3 more RBI’s.

It will be interesting to see what the Pirates are going to do with their future middle infield. They also have Castillo, Castro, and Gonzales in the mix as well.

I don’t see Tucker or Newman factoring into any future plans with the Pirates, with the abundance of middle infield prospects the Pirates have on hand.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

After catcher, shortstop is the most important position defensively IMO. So they need a solid MLB shortstop which Newman is.

I am optimistic about a lot of the prospects including Cruz. Eventually, these guys will have to perform in the big leagues.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Black & Gold

Post by Black & Gold »

Cruz's last 108 AB - 8 HR's, 21 RBI, 26 R, 18 BB, 24 K's, 4 SB.

That works out to 40 HR, 105 RBI, 130 R, 90 BB, 120 K's and 20 SB over a full season. I take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.