Ke'bryan Hayes offensive identity

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Carhanu

Ke'bryan Hayes offensive identity

Post by Carhanu »

Will Hayes end up being more of a lead-off hitter or RBI machine? He seems to thrive in the lead-off spot, setting up the likes of Reynolds and whoever else they stick there (I guess Cruz and Moran). He was very disappointing earlier in the season because he doesnt seem to have much power.

But if he can give us gold glove-caliber fielding and a decent batting average at the lead-off spot in the future, then I would be happy with that. But he needs to develop a better eye at the plate and draw more walks if he is going to be an elite lead-off hitter. Lead-off hitters should have very good on-base percentages. Hayes's OBP is only .316 this season which isnt going to cut it as a lead-off hitter for a playoff team.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Re: Ke'bryan Hayes offensive identity

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

I honestly think his wrist was still bothering him most of the year. He also got in the habit of watching early strikes and getting in the hole. When he was swinging the bat well, he was swinging a lot more at first pitch strikes.
Argentum

Post by Argentum »

He hasn't shown the propensity to be a masher, he's 5'10" and 200lbs. But he definitely has demonstrated the ability to get on base and score.
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

I think he's going to be a good hitter. Maybe a 20 homer a year, .750 - .800 OPS guy. But I'm not sure of it.

I don't care about where he hits in the batting order. Boston has Schwarber leading off.