Fourteen games to play

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Corsair

Fourteen games to play

Post by Corsair »

Just play .500 and they avoid 100 losses, barely but still.

They are one game over .500 (14-13) since the start of the Cardinals series, right after they bottomed out for the season with the LA sweep, so it's nice to finish out the season on good note.
statscbl

Re: Fourteen games to play

Post by statscbl »

It is also extra nice to see them most likely play a part in bouncing the Reds from the play-off picture......at least for me anyway.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

Maybe help bounce the Phillies too.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

We now have 4 games left to play this year. I don't want to state the obvious that the Pirates are missing an ace, but the winningest starting pitcher on the Pirates this year has 5 wins. The winningest pitcher on the roster Chris Stratton has 6 wins, but got his wins all in relief. I wonder if any teams have ever gone a full season with starting pitching win numbers that bad.
val

Post by val »

statscbl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:13 am We now have 4 games left to play this year. I don't want to state the obvious that the Pirates are missing an ace, but the winningest starting pitcher on the Pirates this year has 5 wins. The winningest pitcher on the roster Chris Stratton has 6 wins, but got his wins all in relief. I wonder if any teams have ever gone a full season with starting pitching win numbers that bad.
I think I read last year that 30+ teams had lost 100 games over the past 30 years. That's a lot of teams that are not winning games. I would have to think that many 100+ loss teams have similar win totals for their pitchers.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

val wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:36 pm
statscbl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:13 am We now have 4 games left to play this year. I don't want to state the obvious that the Pirates are missing an ace, but the winningest starting pitcher on the Pirates this year has 5 wins. The winningest pitcher on the roster Chris Stratton has 6 wins, but got his wins all in relief. I wonder if any teams have ever gone a full season with starting pitching win numbers that bad.
I think I read last year that 30+ teams had lost 100 games over the past 30 years. That's a lot of teams that are not winning games. I would have to think that many 100+ loss teams have similar win totals for their pitchers.
There are plenty teams that have had years worse than the Pirates. The Philadelphia Athletics had the worst record in modern day history of 36-117, that is even with pitcher Bullet Joe Bush and his 15-14 record. My favorite might be Steve Carlton winning 27 of the Phillies 59 victories in 1972. Looking at the previous 30 or so teams that lost 100 games, their average winningest pitcher had over 10 wins. Paul Maholm was the winningest pitcher for the 2010 Pirates and the 2012 Cubs (both lost 100+). According to my research Jordan Lyles had the least amount of wins for being the winningest starter on the team. He had 7 wins for the 2013 Astros to lead his squad. He also won 10 games for this year's Rangers. This year Matt Harvey was 6-12 for the Orioles which would be the new record, but the Pirates had 3 or 4 starters with 5 wins which I think is the least by the winningest starter. Stratton had more wins in relief. My guess is this is more a reflection of the Pirates trying to be careful with their starters as Brubaker had the most innings at only 124.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Wins are a tough stat nowadays in this era of baseball.

Starters rarely go more than 5 or 6 innings.

Brent Suter had 12 wins from the Brewers bullpen this year.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Dan_Stonerook wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:20 pm Wins are a tough stat nowadays in this era of baseball.

Starters rarely go more than 5 or 6 innings.

Brent Suter had 12 wins from the Brewers bullpen this year.
I couldn't agree more. Even though I still love baseball, I think you pointed out what I dislike the most about today's game. It might start being more common for relievers to win 20 games than for starter to do it. I don't think Julio Urias is getting enough love for going 20-3 with an ERA under 3. Very tough to do in today's era or really any era.