Not impressed with Shelton

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Not impressed with Shelton

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

I could write a book of why I have not impressed with Derek Shelton. Today's game against the Cubs is just one more example. As tough as it is to get in some kind of rhythm as a hitter, Shelton makes it even tougher by his sporadic playing of payers. Yesterday, (and the day before) Anthony Alford has looked pretty good at the plate. In addition he stole 2 bases yesterday. So today....not in the lineup. Ok, so that doesn't make much sense to me. But what makes even less sense is that with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, down by three, two runners on, he stays with Kevin Newman to hit, leaving Alford unused on the bench. If nothing else, Alford has shown he is one of the few legit power bats on the team.

I swear he uses a magic 8-Ball to make his decisions.
Az Bucco fan

Re: Not impressed with Shelton

Post by Az Bucco fan »

And he leaves pitchers in way too long. Kuhl the other night is a prime example....it seems like every game is a spring training game for more scrapheap players to try out....JMHO.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

The safest managerial positions to keep are the ones with little expectations to win. Jayce Tingler getting fired as the Padres manager was easy to see.
Mike Schildt's Cardinals winning 17 in a row to make the play-offs was not enough to save his job. He was fired today.
The Yankees who haven't had a losing record since 1995 have already fired 3 coaches and Aaron Boone can be next.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

I think pulling pitchers too early or too late when you lose 100 games is irrelevant. It will become relevant when they are a contender and does he behave the same in that situation. I think he wants to see if these guys can face adversity and tough situations and see how they come out.

I have no problems with Shelton to date. That could change.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way