40-man Roster Crunch

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
RagleGumm

40-man Roster Crunch

Post by RagleGumm »

This upcoming offseason, all of the following players will need to be added to the 40-man roster or they'll be available in the Rule 5 draft:

Travis Swaggerty
Mason Martin
Canaan Smith-Njigba
Cal Mitchell
Steven Jennings
Omar Cruz
Liover Peguero
Tahnaj Thomas
Eddy Yean
Diego Castillo (just acquired in the Clay Holmes trade)
Hoy Park (ditto)
Jack Suwinski (Frazier trade)
Michell Miliano (Frazier trade)

That's a pretty long list, and I suspect the Pirates might be able to sneak a few of these guys through the draft unclaimed. But I also suspect that Cherington will want to protect at least ten of these players, if not all of them.

In any case, I think that the list should help to explain some of the moves Cherington will make before the deadline and this offseason. Okay, the Frazier and Holmes trades are a little strange insofar as he swapped two guys on the 40-man roster for four he might add to it (plus, Marcano is already on it). But the Tyler Anderson trade makes sense from this perspective. It clears a spot for Brault and nets the Pirates a couple of prospects they won't need to protect in the short-term. Also, I think it forecasts what the Pirates might be looking for in any Rich Rod or Chris Stratton trade. Finally, I imagine the impending roster crunch makes it more likely that the Pirates will move some of their better performing free agent/waiver pickups before the deadline, like Wilmer Difo, Chasen Shreve, and Ben Gamel. (Needless to say, the Pirates should take whatever they can get for Gregory Polanco and Michael Perez.)

On the other hand, the Pirates are carrying a bunch of DFA/non-tender candidates on the 40-man roster at the moment. Here's who I think could be removed in the offseason, if not before then:

Trevor Cahill
Austin Davis
Chase De Jong
Sam Howard
Kyle Keller
Chad Kuhl
Nick Mears
Dillon Peters
Duane Underwood
Erik Gonzalez
John Nogowski
Cole Tucker
Phillip Evans
Jared Oliva
Ka'ai Tom

Again, that's a long list. But that's a good thing for Cherington. The 40-man roster will look pretty green and inexperienced after he protects the guys in the first list. But he'll have some room to retain or add a few MLB-ready players to the 26-man roster, even if they're just stopgaps until the Pirates are ready to call up Swaggerty or Martin or Oneil Cruz or Rodolfo Castro on a full-time basis.

So it's worth keeping the upcoming 40-man roster crunch in mind over the next few months. If nothing else, it's a reminder that guys like Mitch Keller, Yajure, Kranick, Swaggerty, Cruz, Castro, Martin, Marcano, and maybe even Roansy Contreras will be big league players for much of 2022. They have to be--you can't carry as many prospects on your 40-man roster as the Pirates are likely to without a handful of them playing in Pittsburgh.
bucco boy

Re: 40-man Roster Crunch

Post by bucco boy »

Great post!

I guess it is a good problem to have because there is talent on those lists.

Remember, even we lose them, there is usually a good chance they come back so we will have to see how it plays out.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Difo since he came back to the majors has hit like .400 and has been hitting over .300 as a pinch hitter. He could be a trade candidate.

I could see Park taking his space if he is traded.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Thanks so much for that information. My guess is we are going to be trying to trade a few more veterans and playing more young guys next year.
Az Bucco fan

Post by Az Bucco fan »

There are a lot of guys on that list that can be dfa'd and it won't be a big loss...JMHO... 8-) 8-)
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

I'm not too worried about losing guys in the rule 5 draft. Every team deals with a 40 man roster crunch. Our best prospects will be on the roster.

We are more likely to gain talent than lose talent by the Rule 5.

Gonzalez, Tom, Oliva, and Oviedo are the ones that I can say for sure I don't think are worthy of a roster spot.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

While there is a lot of talent there, remember that they have to be good enough to be on the MLB roster next year or the team has to give them back.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

RagleGumm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:23 pm This upcoming offseason, all of the following players will need to be added to the 40-man roster or they'll be available in the Rule 5 draft:

Travis Swaggerty
Mason Martin
Canaan Smith-Njigba
Cal Mitchell
Steven Jennings
Omar Cruz
Liover Peguero
Tahnaj Thomas
Eddy Yean
Diego Castillo (just acquired in the Clay Holmes trade)
Hoy Park (ditto)
Jack Suwinski (Frazier trade)
Michell Miliano (Frazier trade)

That's a pretty long list, and I suspect the Pirates might be able to sneak a few of these guys through the draft unclaimed. But I also suspect that Cherington will want to protect at least ten of these players, if not all of them.

In any case, I think that the list should help to explain some of the moves Cherington will make before the deadline and this offseason. Okay, the Frazier and Holmes trades are a little strange insofar as he swapped two guys on the 40-man roster for four he might add to it (plus, Marcano is already on it). But the Tyler Anderson trade makes sense from this perspective. It clears a spot for Brault and nets the Pirates a couple of prospects they won't need to protect in the short-term. Also, I think it forecasts what the Pirates might be looking for in any Rich Rod or Chris Stratton trade. Finally, I imagine the impending roster crunch makes it more likely that the Pirates will move some of their better performing free agent/waiver pickups before the deadline, like Wilmer Difo, Chasen Shreve, and Ben Gamel. (Needless to say, the Pirates should take whatever they can get for Gregory Polanco and Michael Perez.)

On the other hand, the Pirates are carrying a bunch of DFA/non-tender candidates on the 40-man roster at the moment. Here's who I think could be removed in the offseason, if not before then:

Trevor Cahill
Austin Davis
Chase De Jong
Sam Howard
Kyle Keller
Chad Kuhl
Nick Mears
Dillon Peters
Duane Underwood
Erik Gonzalez
John Nogowski
Cole Tucker
Phillip Evans
Jared Oliva
Ka'ai Tom

Again, that's a long list. But that's a good thing for Cherington. The 40-man roster will look pretty green and inexperienced after he protects the guys in the first list. But he'll have some room to retain or add a few MLB-ready players to the 26-man roster, even if they're just stopgaps until the Pirates are ready to call up Swaggerty or Martin or Oneil Cruz or Rodolfo Castro on a full-time basis.

So it's worth keeping the upcoming 40-man roster crunch in mind over the next few months. If nothing else, it's a reminder that guys like Mitch Keller, Yajure, Kranick, Swaggerty, Cruz, Castro, Martin, Marcano, and maybe even Roansy Contreras will be big league players for much of 2022. They have to be--you can't carry as many prospects on your 40-man roster as the Pirates are likely to without a handful of them playing in Pittsburgh.
I am just bumping this very good post. I think most or all of the top list of players will be kept. I also think most of the second list of players will be left off of the 40 man roster.
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

I also have been giving a lot of thought to the roster and wanted to present my own list. The roster is always in a state of flux, but clearly this is one of the worst rosters in the league and a lot of these guys are not going to be part of the next winning Pirates team.

These guys will be free agents:

Trevor Cahill
Chasen Shreve
Shelby Miller

These guys have one year of control left and can probably be traded:

Ben Gamel
Chad Kuhl

These have two years of control left and can probably be traded:

Chris Stratton
Steven Brault
Colin Moran

Of course, you need to get fair value or you don't make the trade.

These have more than 2 years of control and can be traded or DFA'd:

Michael Perez
Cole Tucker
Kevin Newman
Phillip Evans
Jared Oliva
Anthony Banda
Cody Ponce
Kyle Keller
Shea Spitzbarth
Chase De Jong
Dillon Peters

You can get guys of that caliber off the scrap heap.

So this is my keeper list:

Jacob Stallings
Hoy Park
Ke'Bryan Hayes
Michael Chavis
Oneil Cruz
Rodolfo Castro
Tucupita Marcano
Wilmer Difo
Yoshi Tsutsugo
Anthony Alford
Bryan Reynolds
Blake Cederlind
David Bednar
Duane Underwood Jr.
José Soriano
Luis Oviedo
Nick Mears
Sam Howard
Bryse Wilson
JT Brubaker
Max Kranick
Miguel Yajure
Mitch Keller
Roansy Contreras
Wil Crowe

I'm prioritizing youth, upside, and power. Difo I just like. Tsutsugo and Alford have power potential. Newman, Tucker, and Oliva do not. I'm tired of watching a lineup of guys who can't hit.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Ralphie, I like your list a lot because you had to make tough decisions and you did it. For me the jury is still out on what to do with Moran vs Alford vs Tsutsugo. The last month is pretty important for Alford and Tsutsugo especailly.

I would like to hear what other Pirate fans think on who to keep or let go.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

I like what I see in Tsutsugo. He has legitimate power and goes with what pitches he's dealt. If there is a DH next year, I think it's a no brainer to try and sign him for another year or two. Without the DH, the only position you can live with him at would be 1B, but he may be just as good or better than Moran there. The Moran situation is complicated. I'm not sure I'm willing to wait for his breakout year at the plate while putting up with his poor defensive play and incredibly slow base path clogging speed. I'd be willing to go into next year with Newman as the SS. The REAL Newman probably resides somewhere between his 2019 year and this year. In other words, I see him as more of a .250 - .260 hitter and that good enough with the defense he provides. If Oneil Cruz is promoted, then I guess Newman would move to 2B. Chavis & Park are interesting too.

Another real dependable outfielder would be nice. We'll probably see Gamel again next year along with Reynolds. Don't know who the other everyday outfielder should be at this point. Difo is most likely a good guy to keep for spot starts and a bat off the bench.

The pitching staff needs major rework. Hopefully, someone currently on the roster steps it up, or they can find a #1 & #2 starter somewhere.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

Anthony Alford - another player with all kinds of talent which is neutralized by lack of plate discipline and/or pitch recognition. (aka Polanco, Alvarez, etc.) Looks like his weakness is the outside pitch that he can't lay off. His swing and miss rate is ridiculous.
Ralphie

Post by Ralphie »

Alford is not likely to ever amount to much but I would still give him more time.

I just looked at Howard's stats and yuck! D F A
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Ralphie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 am Alford is not likely to ever amount to much but I would still give him more time.
These were my thoughts on Alford exactly Ralphie. It would be nice to know in October whether we want to keep him or not.