Anderson Traded To Seattle

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Anderson Traded To Seattle

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-scr ... -to-trade/
They are now sending Anderson to the Seattle Mariners for two prospects, catcher Carter Bins and right-handed pitcher Joaquin Tejada, pending physicals.
The 22-year-old Bins, an 11th-round pick out of Fresno State in 2019, is ranked the Mariners’ No. 29 prospect by Baseball America. Bins has above-average power and arm strength but needs to improve his blocking and receiving and his bat speed. The 6-foot, 200-pound right-handed hitter batted .284/.422/.493 with 10 doubles, seven home runs and 31 RBIs at High-A Everett before being promoted to Double-A Arkansas, where he hit 2 for 30 in 10 games.

Tejada, 18, signed with the Mariners for $200,000 in July 2019 out of Panama. Since then, the 5-foot-11, 160-pounder has increased his fastball velocity from the high 80s to 93 mph. Tejada was 0-0 in two games in the Dominican Summer League, allowing six runs (four earned) on one hit and four walks with eight strikeouts
Paratus

Re: Anderson Traded To Seattle

Post by Paratus »

Ok ?????,

Can anyone explain this trade?

I may not have the same resources as some of you, but if I do a search on all these players I pretty much just get stats on Anderson. The Mariners believe he will be a solid 5th in the rotation. Of course 5th is the final spot, but its still a spot.

I'm sorry, I just don't believe in being bad for the sake of one day being good.
If you don't think you can win, you won't. If you think you can win you will only be right about 50% of the time.

No one thought we could win this year, because we had so much unproven talent. There are plenty of names on the team that if they lived up to their potential we could of been in the thick of it.

If they/we didn't think we can win this year, what will change for next year?
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

I'm not sure this years team, even if they had lived up to their potential, would be competing for a playoff spot....unless they were in the NL East. Like I've mentioned in another thread, this team wasn't managed with a priority on winning this season. That's a shame. As the year progressed, there have been some some surprises and some disappointments.

Where I disagree with most fans is that this team was so awful that it needed to be torn apart so that we could overload the farm system. I also don't agree with this phrase that many use when they say "...build around a player". I don't think you build around any single player. You build around a core of players. I believe they potentially had a good core of players in Frazier, Reynolds and Hayes. When you add a few surprise players, and some players that may have potential, like Nogowski, Difo, Castro, and Gamel, you have a decent lineup. Now instead of having your mind set on ditching Frazier, maybe you could find a veteran power bat to add to that lineup for this year. Then in the next few years, you can add to that group as other players filter in from the minors. But this group was managed in such a way that every series, one or two of best hitters were "resting" on the bench. They kept marching Polanco out into RF. Look how long they stuck with Ka'ai Tom in LF. These decisions were an offensive casualty.

On top of that, look at how Shelton managed the pitching staff. I remember how I used to complain how these managers were limiting their starters to 90-100 pitches. Now it's 65-75 pitches. How many times this year did Shelton pull a starter that was pitching well, and hand it over to guys from the bullpen that couldn't throw strikes or get batter out?

I'm not delusional. I know out starting staff was't great, but it wasn't horrible either. If Mitch Keller had stepped up and pitched to his projected potential, and the rest of the staff had been managed differently, the pitching would have been adequate.

So as I believe. had this team been managed with a priority on winning, we could talking about a difference in 10 - 15 wins. Sill wouldn't be contending in our division, but in a division like the NL East you never know.

Keeping Frazier would not have made a huge impact on what BC is trying to do with the farm system. He has already done a good job at rebuilding it. The three guys he got in return for Frazier likely wouldn't have been missed. Guys like Frazier, because of his lack of power, go under appreciated. But it's not easy to find a bat like that. You build a farm system in hope after hope that someone emerges that can hit like him. In my opinion, you don't just get rid of a player like that unless you have a legit replacement or you are getting what equates to a can't miss player in return for him. It's great to look to the future, but not at the price of giving the fans absolutely nothing to be emotionally invested in until the future arrives. Just my two cents.
BucFanInPhillyLand

Post by BucFanInPhillyLand »

On subject, Tyler Anderson had to 100% be traded. As GM, you pretty much try to get the best return you can. If you can land a player that makes any impact at all to the Pirates major league team in the future, you come away as a big winner with the trade. And you won't know that for years.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

Gamel, Nogowski, and Difo are at best bench players. Maybe you get lucky and one turns into a Garrett Jones and has a few good years. But on any other team they are bench guys taking up the last or next to last spot on a roster.

The Pittsburgh market size, especially outside of the city is horrible. It's old rust belt towns with no growth and dwindling populations.

No salary cap is a killer too.
Not to mention when Huntington took to spending big on the draft, the big market teams cried and the rules changed thanks to the Josh Bell draft pick and the Red Sox crying. Which oddly enough was where Cherington was working at the time of this incident.

Is Pittsburgh really a baseball town? I am tending to believe no. They weren't drawing big numbers when they were winning in 2013-2015.
In 2012: they ranked 15 of 16 in attendance.
2013: 11 out 15
2014: 9 out 15
2015: 9 out of 15 (They had the second best record in baseball!)
2016: 10 out of 15

It sucks, I get it. But this is the culture of Pittsburgh baseball until something changes to allow them to better compete in keeping their bigger players longer.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

Paratus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:45 am Ok ?????,

I may not have the same resources as some of you, but if I do a search on all these players I pretty much just get stats on Anderson. The Mariners believe he will be a solid 5th in the rotation. Of course 5th is the final spot, but its still a spot.

I'm sorry, I just don't believe in being bad for the sake of one day being good.
If you don't think you can win, you won't. If you think you can win you will only be right about 50% of the time.

No one thought we could win this year, because we had so much unproven talent. There are plenty of names on the team that if they lived up to their potential we could of been in the thick of it.

The Pirates don't have the talent now to win. The proof? Look at their record before any trade was made this season. So, you need to find more talent. A small-revenue team like the Pirates can't go out and sign free agents to fill spots (although that doesn't always work anyway). They have to build through the farm system which means acquiring young talent (either through the draft or trades), as much as possible, in order to get that talent to the big league team. If you don't think it works, how do you think they made the playoffs three straight years? Same strategy. Different managment group. The failure of the last managment group is that they didn't recycle like the Rays and Royals have been able to do. So, the new managment group needs some time to get the talent in the system.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

bucco boy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:12 pm

The Pirates don't have the talent now to win. The proof? Look at their record before any trade was made this season. So, you need to find more talent. A small-revenue team like the Pirates can't go out and sign free agents to fill spots (although that doesn't always work anyway). They have to build through the farm system which means acquiring young talent (either through the draft or trades), as much as possible, in order to get that talent to the big league team. If you don't think it works, how do you think they made the playoffs three straight years? Same strategy. Different managment group. The failure of the last managment group is that they didn't recycle like the Rays and Royals have been able to do. So, the new managment group needs some time to get the talent in the system.
You especially aren't going to contend when your best pitcher struggles so bad that he was sent to AAA.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

After seeing the return we got for Holmes, I was expecting a lot more in return for Anderson. The bottom line is that Anderson is a free agent at the end of the year. We aren't going to win the division this year so we might as well trade him for something. If he wants to sign back with the Pirates, he still can.

Now if the real question is "Why aren't the Pirates trying harder to win this year?", that is a much longer answer in my opinion.
Az Bucco fan

Post by Az Bucco fan »

statscbl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 pm Now if the real question is "Why aren't the Pirates trying harder to win this year?", that is a much longer answer in my opinion.
I like Shelton for the most part but IMHO, he tends to leave pitchers in too long when it is obvious they don't have it that day. Too many games where "spring training" like managing goes on.... :? :?
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Az Bucco fan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:40 pm
statscbl wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:33 pm Now if the real question is "Why aren't the Pirates trying harder to win this year?", that is a much longer answer in my opinion.
I like Shelton for the most part but IMHO, he tends to leave pitchers in too long when it is obvious they don't have it that day. Too many games where "spring training" like managing goes on.... :? :?
t

I know it sounds terrible, but I think the Pirates are intentionally trying not too hard to win. They not only get better draft picks, but they also get significantly more slot money to do this. Their draft they have signed 4 of the top 32 rated guys in the draft according to Baseball America. They just signed the 94th rated player with a 14th round pick. Teams are not bringing back that much by trading off their stars.