Ali Sanchez Signed

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Dan_Stonerook

Ali Sanchez Signed

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

A major league deal.
Something is odd about this.
Are they planning on moving Endy off catcher to another position and run with Davis and Sanchez with Delay at AAA?

Could a trade be in place?

This is an odd move in my opinion.
statscbl

Re: Ali Sanchez Signed

Post by statscbl »

I was hoping Endy and Henry would split up the catching duties this year, with Endy getting time at first and Henry at 1B or DH. I like Delay's ability to work with pitchers and can hold his own with the bat. Ali seems to crowd the position.
Possibilities?
1) Dan may be right that there is a trade in the works coming this week.
2) Maybe they have given up on Henry as a catcher.
3) Maybe Delay will be sent to the minors to help groom our pitchers to a smooth transition.
val

Post by val »

statscbl wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:51 am I was hoping Endy and Henry would split up the catching duties this year, with Endy getting time at first and Henry at 1B or DH. I like Delay's ability to work with pitchers and can hold his own with the bat. Ali seems to crowd the position.
Possibilities?
3) Maybe Delay will be sent to the minors to help groom our pitchers to a smooth transition.
Davis caught, what, 2 innings last year. I'm pretty sure they gave up on Davis as a catcher last year.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

val wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:55 pm
statscbl wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:51 am I was hoping Endy and Henry would split up the catching duties this year, with Endy getting time at first and Henry at 1B or DH. I like Delay's ability to work with pitchers and can hold his own with the bat. Ali seems to crowd the position.
Possibilities?
Davis caught, what, 2 innings last year. I'm pretty sure they gave up on Davis as a catcher last year.
It said he was told to prepare this off-season as a catcher.

https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports ... -next-year
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Thanks for sharing that article Dan. There have been inconsistencies with what they did with Henry all of last year.
-He began in double A with Endy in triple A so they both could be catchers.
-Henry got a cup of coffee in triple A, but rushed to the majors from triple A.
-Ben said the plan was to learn from Austin Hedges while playing right field and would catch more as the season progressed (which didn't happen).
-Two months ago Ben stated that Henry would probably be catching this year (as your article states).
-Now they trade for a 4th catcher.

I obviously want Henry to catch and think he will, just not 100% sure yet.
Dan_Stonerook

Post by Dan_Stonerook »

I want Henry to hit. I don't care if he is in RF or 1st or Catcher.

I remember reading a coach said Endy would be the top positional prospect at any position he would play.

2nd base and 1st are open spots. Could this be an opening to move Endy out from behind the plate?

Delay had turned into Keller's personal catcher.
Sanchez has no options. Unless Cherington thinks he could be outrighted with no one grabbing on waivers.

This move is a head scratcher.