MLBPA & MLB

Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well.
Wildwood Dave

MLBPA & MLB

Post by Wildwood Dave »

Meeting for the first team since the lockout- Thurs. Jan.13
Shedman

Re: MLBPA & MLB

Post by Shedman »

My only hope for the negotiations is that they agree to hard team salary floor of about $70 million! If a team does not have at least $70 million team salary, then no revenue sharing.
bucco boy

Post by bucco boy »

Shedman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 pm My only hope for the negotiations is that they agree to hard team salary floor of about $70 million! If a team does not have at least $70 million team salary, then no revenue sharing.
Would love a salary floor as long as it also includes a salary cap. Neither will happen. Manfred won't let it.
The Bucs Are Going All The Way, All The Way, All The Way
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Shedman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:59 pm My only hope for the negotiations is that they agree to hard team salary floor of about $70 million! If a team does not have at least $70 million team salary, then no revenue sharing.
No cap, no floor...can't have one without the other.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

According to stories released today, the MLBPA was asking for an increase in the league minimum salary, the luxury tax threshold to be increased, small-market team revenue sharing be significantly reduced, draft lottery for the top 8 picks, age-based free agency, arbitration begins in year 2, 6 year reserve period lowered.

They did not ask for a salary floor.

It sounds like the MLBPA wants to just eliminate the ability for small-market teams to do anything.
statscbl

Post by statscbl »

Good discussion.
I think most teams view the luxury tax cap as a hard cap, except if they are all in for winning that year. Then they are willing to go over. From that point of view I think it is working. I think both big market owners and players would like to see small market teams be held accountable to spending money on players if they receive revenue.
Wildwood Dave

Post by Wildwood Dave »

Now how does Bob feel about that? :D
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

It sounds like the MLBPA wants to just eliminate the ability for small-market teams to do anything."
____
If true, this is great news. Maybe BOB will sell then. Anything to get rid of this selfish greedy cheapskate carpetbagger.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Shedman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:23 am It sounds like the MLBPA wants to just eliminate the ability for small-market teams to do anything."
____
If true, this is great news. Maybe BOB will sell then. Anything to get rid of this selfish greedy cheapskate carpetbagger.
I mean, that’s fine. Regardless of the owner though, Pittsburgh will always be small market and no owner is going to operate at a loss.
Shedman

Post by Shedman »

I understand that, but all I am asking of an owner is to operate like the other small market teams.
Rellimie

Post by Rellimie »

Shedman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 pm I understand that, but all I am asking of an owner is to operate like the other small market teams.
I agree. The issue is the complete mismanagement of the minor league talent. I know people can bitch about the payroll but I have yet to see anyone worth a 100 million extension.