Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Went 3 - 0 at PNC!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 pm 

Well, with us being 9 games under .500 and, now losing, to the Brewers, it might be too late to report on my visit to the city last week.

Pittsburgh: What an awesome city. My wife and I really had a great time.

And we went 3 - 0, 3 and fvcking 0 at PNC while I was there. To be honest, I prefer the televised game day experience over the live one, so I was not expecting to get three games in. In fact, I would have bet money that I wouldn't have even gone to one game, but my wife said that after spending so much time enjoying the Pirates' renaissance that damned if she wasn't going to go see the Pittsburgh skyline from PNC.

Anyway, the first game last Saturday, it was raining, and I hate rain, and I hate sitting watching a sporting event in rain even more. I decided that I was going to blow off the game (we'd already ordered tickets), so Monday was going to be nice and it was a day game, so we bought tickets for Monday. And then the rain on Saturday sort of stopped around 8, so we decided to go see the game. I caught Taillon's last inning, and we won. We were sitting next to a guy who had a special needs kid, and they were soaked and sullen and had tickets for Sunday, but the dad just couldn't get the kid to want to go, so he gave us his tickets. So we went Sunday, it was beautiful and we beat the Cubs. My favorite player is Jordy and I got to see him homer, so that was great. And Sunday we beat the Cubs and Arrieta got hurt. I hate, hate, hate injuries, even to other guys on other teams, but Arrieta may be the one guy I won't be sad to see leave early. We left in the 5th inning, we were up 4 - 0 and cruising, so I missed our 7 run eighth inning, but we were listening on the radio. Quite the weekend.

But we are definitely coming back. Because of the games, we missed the Phipps and Frick and I wanted to see the aviary... We enjoyed the Carnegie museums. To see the T-rex specimen skeleton was pretty special to this ex-dino fan. Dinosaurs were the only thing my brother and I could agree on, and since he's disowned our family, dinosaurs take on a certain special sentimentality for me. We rode up one incline and walked along Mount Washington to ride the other down. (And my wife found out on Monday that her company's new VP lives in Mount Washington, so she got bonus points.)

And the Heinz was great. All I know is that a city that can claim Rachel Carson, Fred Rogers, Jonas Salk and George C Freaking Marshall has done the 20th Century proud.

We'll be back.

Post subject: Re: I Went 3 - 0 at PNC!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 pm 

Glad you had a good time. Too bad the bucs are down this year but next year has some promise of better results.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 am 

Oh, I completely forgot the Cathedral of Learning. What a great college space. Plus, they've got new elevators with a video of how to use them, and speak like yinz. Hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to post. I enjoyed reading it and enjoyed hearing that you had such a positive experience.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Great stuff val!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 pm 

Where'd you eat?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm 

I am a Pitt grad and the Cathedral is a sight to see. You should read the story about how they raised money for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Where'd you eat?

Well, I had to go to Primanti's (on the Strip, that's the original one, right?) though I didn't eat my sandwich with fries smushed on it.

Ate breakfast at the Pamela's (again, on the Strip). I had croissant French toast with walnuts and caramel syrup, and that alone may bring me back to Pittsburgh...

And we are a kosher deli and an Indian place on Squirrel Hill. We ate pretty well.