Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 08/14/12 Pirates (64-51) vs Dodgers (63-53)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 pm 

Animal wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
The only difference between last year and this year? It just started a little earlier in August.

If you don't see a difference between this year and last year, then you sir, are NOT a Pirate fan.

And are you going to jump back ON the bandwagon when they break this slump?

This team is so much better than last year and it's extremely encouraging. BUT...They are in fact falling apart by playing fundamentally awful baseball. The future is VERY bright for this franchise in my opinion. But this ship is taking on water and the window of opportunity to contend is quickly closing. Obviously this isn't a playoff team but we will break the streak and that is the first step to eventually contending. Folks, our squad is the holder of the longest streak in pro sports under .500. To think you go from that to contending is stupid (and I've been guilty of it because I always go with my heart). It takes time to go from pathetic to solid. I'm okay with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 pm 

Animal wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
The only difference between last year and this year? It just started a little earlier in August.

If you don't see a difference between this year and last year, then you sir, are NOT a Pirate fan.

And are you going to jump back ON the bandwagon when they break this slump?

I've been a pirate fan my entire life, haven't seen a winning team yet so you sir do not step on me like that. That's a pretty bold comment from you. Afterall it's not like I have the luxury of rooting for the Yankees. Then as a Pittsburgher, like many other burghers I know who do root for the the teams north of us I'd be a bandwagoner. They took the easy way out. But I ain't, I root for the laughing stock of baseball and always have. I'm sure you've had the luxury of seeing winning Pirate teams, good for you.

Anyways, I have lots of positive things to say about this club and I have done so on this board all year long. When there is sloppy play and the sloppy play becomes a trend I will speak the truth. I don't hide from it. When the starters on a consistent basis continue to have below average quality starts, when the offense starts to faulter with runners in scoring position, when the bullpen can't hold leads or keep the team close when behind, when the defense starts to lack , well, that all leads to not just a bad game of baseball, it leads to long losing streaks. 2 out of 5, 4 out of 10. This team is capable of faultering like last year if they continue to play they way they have since the Reds series, when they let the Cubs and Padres come to town and steal a series, when they don't take advantage of teams walking into you're yard on a long homestand while they're on your heels.

Is that not real? You don't feel it? Maybe it's in the back of my mind only a year removed.

I'm a big statistics guy but thats not on my mind right now. Seeing the buccos come through when opprotunity is there, that's on my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 pm 

Was Luis Cruz available at the deadline? Wasn't he a Pirate once?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 pm 

I'm officially worried. First time all season. Clint Hurdle HAS to get this team under control, quickly...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:52 pm 

CashInFist wrote:
I'm officially worried. First time all season. Clint Hurdle HAS to get this team under control, quickly...

Obviously the division is gone now. Have to hope these guys can somehow rally together to be somewhat competitive for the wild card. Our game has been so sloppy for awhile now though. Terrible base running. Suspect fielding. Dropping balls because we don't bother to cover the glove with 2 hands. No matter what though, this squad is a major improvement of last year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 pm 

CashInFist wrote:

Nothing to do with control....still too many holes. Barajas and Barmes are terrible so catcher and shortstop still need upgrades. Pedro is a HUGE disappointment. Bullpen has been good, but over worked. Starters good but McDonald implosion has killed them. Then add that a guy who was an MVP candidate two weeks ago is in a horrible slump. And when he slumps so does the team.

And as I type...a fitting ending. Pedro stands and watches strike 3. Honestly, you can't keep running him out there right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 pm 

Listening on the radio, Greg Brown and Bob Walk were tongue-tied trying to describe how thoroughly Qualls F-ed up that last play. I'm still not sure what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 am 

Going off recent team history a fan has to be worried that the team could quickly fall into a
terminal tailspin.

Hurdle definitely has his work cut out to rebuild some individual confidence. Bad play seems to have become
contagious of late. This team has shown the ability to play mostly sound baseball. I hope the
crumbling under pressure can be fixed - the quote about athletes needing a short memory comes to mind.

Most of the players throughout the league have similar physical abilities, it really does boil down to the
mental side as to who prevails.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:02 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
CashInFist wrote:

Nothing to do with control....still too many holes. Barajas and Barmes are terrible so catcher and shortstop still need upgrades. Pedro is a HUGE disappointment. Bullpen has been good, but over worked. Starters good but McDonald implosion has killed them. Then add that a guy who was an MVP candidate two weeks ago is in a horrible slump. And when he slumps so does the team.

And as I type...a fitting ending. Pedro stands and watches strike 3. Honestly, you can't keep running him out there right now.

It's a tough spot. There aren't many alternatives to putting Pedro out there but he looks worse than at any point in his career. Spectacularly awful on offense and defense. UGH.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 am 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Was Luis Cruz available at the deadline? Wasn't he a Pirate once?

Cruz played in the Bucs system in 2008 and 2009, bouncing from Altoona to Indy to Pittsburgh, where he played about 50 games for the Bucs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 am 

What's weird about this game, the Dodgers only had one extra base hit of the 13. Strange game.