Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goats and Stars for 08/13
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm 

Sorry for the delay. Had a rough couple of days. All in all, this was a good game. I can take this loss better than the last few because we got decent pitching, mostly good defense...played a pretty good game, just came up a little short. This was an enjoyable game to watch all the way around...the good guys just came out on bottom today.

STARTER: Karstens. Was really done in by just a couple of hits. He kept them off the board for two innings. Of late, that is at least a moral victory. Seven innings, 7 hits and 1 BB...4 earned runs. Calling this an OK start.

LOSER. Depite a decent start, Karstens took the loss.

GOAT: In a one-run game, almost any failed chance can make a guy a goat. Couple candidates really. Cruz hurt pretty bad coming into a 2 run game, giving up 2 walks and a hit batter, one of which came around to score the ultimate winning run. As much as I want to give the goat to Cruz, I think I am going to have to give it to Gabys Sanchez. He had three at bats. Two resulted in Double Plays. The third was a fly out, with GJones at 2b in a 2-2 game.

STAR #3: Jason Grilli. Hope the bit of a break helped him get his stuff back. Certainly looked like it last night. He came in with runner on 3rd and just one out in the 8th, down by a run. We needed a 0 put up there to help us with a chance to come back. He promptly struck out the next 2 hitters to give us a chance in the 9th, down by just a run.

STAR #2: Mike McKenry. The fort went 1-2 plus 2 walks. He drove in a clutch run with 2 outs in the 8th, which gave us a chance to have the tying run come to the plate with every batter in the 9th.

STAR #1: Only one choice tonight. Garrett Jones! Let's hope he is starting one of those streaks he goes on. We need it! IT started out not looking so good when he lost a ball in the lights with allowed a 2 out double in the first, but he looked good after that. GJ went 4-4, with a double, three singles, and drove in 3. He also prevented a couple runs with a great catch against the wall, and doubled up the runner.

STANDINGS
Cutch 100
Burnett 79
Alvarez 68.5
Walker 68.5
GJones 59.5
McDonald 53.5
McKenry 45.5
Correia 41
Presley 34.5
Harrison 32
Tabata 32
Bedard 31.5
Barajas 31
Barmes 30.5
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 26
McGehee 27
Karstens 24
Hughes 24.75
Grilli 21.25
Watson 17.25
Marte 17
Cruz 16.25
Resop 12
Hague 10
Snider 8.5
Sutton 7
Sanchez 4.5
Morton 4.5
Mercer 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Qualls 3.0
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.5
WRod 0

Last edited by Animal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goats and Stars for 08/13
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:19 pm 

dont want you to shortchange jones, he was 4-4...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

batterup wrote:
dont want you to shortchange jones, he was 4-4...

OOPS. Yes he was. Thanks for the reminder. Corrected it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:29 pm 

Another P.S. on Jones, Animal. The Dodger broadcasters said repeatedly that the reason he didn't (couldn't?) get to the first inning double is because he was positioned well off the line in RCF to respect Kemp's gap power. Thus, it was too long a run for Jones to catch up to it and unfair to blame him for not doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:34 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Another P.S. on Jones, Animal. The Dodger broadcasters said repeatedly that the reason he didn't (couldn't?) get to the first inning double is because he was positioned well off the line in RCF to respect Kemp's gap power. Thus, it was too long a run for Jones to catch up to it and unfair to blame him for not doing so.

That's a good explantion, Bob, but I did not get that impression. Did you get to see it? He was there. I think he lost it in the lights or something. He was looking to Sanchez for help. It was a very high ball. I think Jones sometimes gets undue criticism for his defense. I think he is above average at both 1b and RF. It just happens sometimes.

Anybody else who saw it think it was too long of a run, or that he lost it? Just curious?