Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
WEIRD GAME. GREAT WIN! Hopefully this gets the Bucs out of their little funk.

STARTER: Bedard. Tough call here. He gave up 4 runs in the first and another in the second. (3 earned)...his defense really did not help him much at all. But then he got tough and labored through 3 more innings. I am actually calling this an OK start.

WINNER: Who in the world could have imagined after the first few innings that Bedard would get a win?? Amazing really. Bedard gets the win, barely, to raise his record to 7-12, 4.56 ERA.

HONORABLE MENTION: We had a big lead, but the bullpen has faltered lately..a solid inning each from Resop, Qualls, Cruz, and Hanrahan earns each of them an HM. I am giving Bedard one too, for hanging in there, and coming up with a double and scoring two runs. Garrett Jones has a triple and 2 RBI. The Fort goes 1-3 with 2 RBI.

STAR #3: Cutch gets it going today with a 2-6, including a double, a run, and 2 RBI.

STAR #2: Debated on this one. Barmes had the biggest clutch hit of the game, a grand slam that turned a three run deficit into a one run lead. He also had another hit...but a couple of costly errors put him as the #2 star instead of #1.

STAR #1: NEIL WALKER! has an AWESOME game! The kid goes 5-5 with a double, a HR, 2 runs and 2 RBI. Raises his average to .294.

STANDINGS
Cutch 100
Burnett 79
Alvarez 68.5
Walker 68.5
GJones 56.5
McDonald 53.5
McKenry 43.5
Correia 41
Presley 34.5
Harrison 32
Tabata 32
Bedard 31.5
Barajas 31
Barmes 30.5
Lincoln 28
Hanrahan 26
McGehee 27
Karstens 24
Hughes 24.75
Grilli 20.25
Watson 17.25
Marte 17
Cruz 16.25
Resop 12
Hague 10
Snider 8.5
Sutton 7
Sanchez 5.5
Morton 4.5
Mercer 4.0
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Qualls 3.0
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.5
WRod 0

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 910
Agree on all points.

90% of Bedards struggles always seem to come in the first inning. Innings 2 through x always seem to be alright.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1421
Location: Eastern Shore
I'd have given Bedard a star today. Guy scores the first two runs of his career (!) to help the team get out of the hole he helped create, well, that gets more than a HM.....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
val wrote:
I'd have given Bedard a star today. Guy scores the first two runs of his career (!) to help the team get out of the hole he helped create, well, that gets more than a HM.....


I understand your point, but he DID give up 5 runs in 2 innings. I think he deserved the HM....don't think he did more to win the game than the top 3 stars did.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6266
rellimie wrote:
90% of Bedards struggles always seem to come in the first inning.


Reminds me of Jerry Reuss in that regard...he always seemed to struggle early to find his groove... 8-) 8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1421
Location: Eastern Shore
Animal wrote:
val wrote:
I'd have given Bedard a star today. Guy scores the first two runs of his career (!) to help the team get out of the hole he helped create, well, that gets more than a HM.....


I understand your point, but he DID give up 5 runs in 2 innings. I think he deserved the HM....don't think he did more to win the game than the top 3 stars did.

This is, of course, your metric, and I enjoy the summaries. It's what I first noticed when I found this board.

However, there are some games you win because you win them, and there are other games you win by not losing them. We did everything we could early to lose this one, including the 5 runs and two errors. We won this game because we battered the other team, and when you .200 hitting shortstop knocks a grandslam and your pitcher scores twice, that's pretty significant. I may be giving (your) stars emotionally, but role players stepping up are one of the signs of a winning team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars For WEIRD 08/12
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
val wrote:
Animal wrote:
val wrote:
I'd have given Bedard a star today. Guy scores the first two runs of his career (!) to help the team get out of the hole he helped create, well, that gets more than a HM.....


I understand your point, but he DID give up 5 runs in 2 innings. I think he deserved the HM....don't think he did more to win the game than the top 3 stars did.

This is, of course, your metric, and I enjoy the summaries. It's what I first noticed when I found this board.

However, there are some games you win because you win them, and there are other games you win by not losing them. We did everything we could early to lose this one, including the 5 runs and two errors. We won this game because we battered the other team, and when you .200 hitting shortstop knocks a grandslam and your pitcher scores twice, that's pretty significant. I may be giving (your) stars emotionally, but role players stepping up are one of the signs of a winning team.


Thanks. It's great to debate the stars and not the goats!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits