Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 08/05
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 pm 

GREAT WIN! What a way to salvage the final game of an otherwise forgettable series!!! Makes the series not so bad...we lost only one game in the standings. Today, we missed a lot of opportunities, but did just enough to get the win. Fortunately, we HAD a lot of opportunities. You know, in the top of the 9th, with the Reds down just 2 runs, then 3 after the Cutch HR, it looked like they just lost it...that they did not care one bit about the outcome at that point. If you gotta lose two in this series, we went about it the right way. I think the Bucs continue to win, and the Reds start to slip a little! One last thing, nice to get a win like this with minimal contributions from Cutch and Pedro. This is a total TEAM win! Well, let's get to it!

STARTER: How can you call this ANYTHING but a GREAT start by Burnett? Retired 18 batters after the Stubbs HR, before giving up two harmless walk with 2 outs in the 9th. That prevented a second complete game in a row. I wondered if he might skip the complete game anyway and get a little retribution in the 9th. All in all, he was SENSATIONAL!

WINNER: Burnett gets a second great game in a row, giving up just 3 hits, 3 walks, and 2 earned runs, to go with 7 K's. Lowered his ERA to 3.19 and raised his record to 14-3!!! WOW!

SAVE: When it looked like Burnett would get a second complete game in a row, he gave up a couple of harmless walks, turning it into a save situation for Hanrahan, who needed just 3 pitches to pick up his 32nd save.

Honorable Mention: Lots of offense today!!! Several HMs to go around! Cutch puts an end to a mini-slump with a no-doubt-about-it HR in the 9th...giving the Bucs some insurance, knocking the wind out of the Red's sails, and stopping any hope of a comeback by the Reds. Josh Harrison came up with a couple hits while giving Pedro a much-needed day off. Like Presley, Harrison is an ideal bench guy! These guys help make us a better team! Sanchez , GJones, and Barmes each come through with two hits to earn them honorable mentions.

STAR #3: I went back and forth on all of today's stars. You really could pick them in any order, give your reason, and be correct... Here is what I decided upon. Walker went 3-5. I think his 2 run HR after the Reds had taken a 1-0 lead was a difference maker. I think the Walker HR woke the team up and told the Reds we were not going to roll over today. He got the Bucs going, out of the little 2 game losing streak funk they were in. I thought about that earning him the #1 star, or the #2 star, but I thought the other guys' contributions may have been a little bigger.

STAR #2: Went back and forth on #2 and #1 after giving Walker #3. Ask me later and I'd probably flip flop! Anyway, Burnett was one of the top couple of stars of the game. That's for sure! He got tough after a shakey start. He gave up a solo HR that tied the game. Then he took control until a couple of harmless walks with 2 outs in the 9th prevented the complete game. Oh, and he also had a perfect sac bunt that helped lead to a couple runs.

STAR #1: Again, I kept going back and forth on this. Marte had 2 hits, going 2-5, driving in 2 runs with a big 2-run triple. Statistically, that was very good. But with the situation...the Reds having just tied it up, the the Bucs failing in the clutch on several occasions, Marte's inexperience, those things all spelled out failure again. But Marte would not let that happen and came through with probably the biggest hit of his young career.

STANDINGS
Cutch 97
Burnett 82
Alvarez 65
Walker 62.5
McDonald 56.5
GJones 53.5
McKenry 42
Correia 37.5
Presley 34.5
Harrison 32.5
Tabata 32