Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: August 4, 2012 Pirates (60-45) at Reds (65-41)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 pm 

Why on earth are they not pinch hitting Sanchez for snider?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:01 pm 

Now they're saying its "amazing" that Snider even made contact.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm 

Almost tempted to put this one in the "what's the use?" category. But at least this was the best McDonald has looked in a while. Maybe that's a good sign. It would be nice, though, if McCutchen and Alvarez would start producing again. When they don't there still ain't enough else offensively.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:12 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Once again, why is Jason Grilli not pitching in the eighth in a close game when they aren't in the lead. Clint Hurdle has been great this season with the exception of handling his bullpen when tied or trailing.

Umm, Hurdle wasn't in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:52 am 

I was at this game and I have to say I'm surprised by all of the negativity I've read on the various fan sites about it. Yes, it was a loss, but it was a very good back and fourth game, the type you'd anticipate of a series of this caliber.

What absolutely flabbergasts me, however, is how the shove Hughes gave to the Reds player on the grounder in the 8th didn't cause the tensions to finally boil over. I thought it looked blatant and nasty from my nosebleed seats, and now watching the clip, it's pretty amazing that there didn't seem to be much of a reaction. Maybe it was because the game was almost over, but wow, Hughes taking the frustration into his own hands there.

And yeah, can't say I really see any logic in Grilli not pitching that inning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 am 

TheShark wrote:
I was at this game and I have to say I'm surprised by all of the negativity I've read on the various fan sites about it. Yes, it was a loss, but it was a very good back and fourth game, the type you'd anticipate of a series of this caliber.

What absolutely flabbergasts me, however, is how the shove Hughes gave to the Reds player on the grounder in the 8th didn't cause the tensions to finally boil over. I thought it looked blatant and nasty from my nosebleed seats, and now watching the clip, it's pretty amazing that there didn't seem to be much of a reaction. Maybe it was because the game was almost over, but wow, Hughes taking the frustration into his own hands there.

And yeah, can't say I really see any logic in Grilli not pitching that inning.

You aren't upset by the fact that they hit us clearly again for the 2nd time and our manager gets run for protesting. That doesn't surprise you. Only our reliever FINALLY showing some set of balls...that's what surprises you? Mind boggling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:32 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Once again, why is Jason Grilli not pitching in the eighth in a close game when they aren't in the lead. Clint Hurdle has been great this season with the exception of handling his bullpen when tied or trailing.

Well, it was Bannister's decision, not Hurdle, right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:37 am 

Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

It's understood in MLB games that the manager just relays his intentions up the hall. It's sort of a joke when a manager gets thrown. He calls all the shots regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:48 am 

RoxyChar wrote:
Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

It's understood in MLB games that the manager just relays his intentions up the hall. It's sort of a joke when a manager gets thrown. He calls all the shots regardless.

I know it happens. But the announcers said tonight that is not the way Hurdle does it. They said he goes into the clubhouse and lets Bannister manage his way. I heard Hurdle say something to this effect last year during an interview too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:52 am 

They would never admit in an interview that they control the action. That would violate MLB rules. It's automatic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 am 

rellimie wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Umm, Hurdle wasn't in the game.

Umm, if you don't think he still calling the shots from the clubhouse, you don't know Clint Hurdle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Difference between them and us. Someone gets the big hit for them. Not nearly often enough for us.

Come on, that has been our entire season MO. We are 3rd in MLB in clutch hitting.

Last edited by Barrys Dopers on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Cutch has been playing "un-MVP-like" baseball lately.

Yeah only hitting .342/.892 the last two weeks, bench him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Cincinnati broadcasters are saying McCutchen's anger last night has "taken him out of his game."

Cutch has not been Cutch lately that's for sure.

Yeah .389/1.000 in the last week, terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:28 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Difference between them and us. Someone gets the big hit for them. Not nearly often enough for us.

Come on, that has been our entire season MO. We are 3rd in MLB in clutch hitting.

We have played pretty average baseball since the All Star break. Luckily we played some really bad teams and held our own record wise. Since the break we have had very few clutch hits. Heck, the Astros series alone we were something like 2 for 25 with RISP. This series, other than 2 sac flies, we are not coming up with any big hits.

On the season, the stats may say we have been good with getting big hits. That's one reason why we had that great stretch for a month or more before the break. But since the break, it has been a different story(for the most part). The Reds are on fire, and one reason is someone(different guys it appears) is coming up with a hit in big situations. Hopefully they will come back to earth, and the Pirates will get hot again. I'm simply observing that I can see why the Reds have been so hot, and why we have been sort of treading water. Again, things could change when we get back to PNC for a nice long home stand!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:30 am 

Funny that Cutch does not have an rbi in some time....oh....forgot....that stat is not important..... :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:37 am 

RoxyChar wrote:
You aren't upset by the fact that they hit us clearly again for the 2nd time and our manager gets run for protesting. That doesn't surprise you. Only our reliever FINALLY showing some set of balls...that's what surprises you? Mind boggling.

I never said what Hughes did surprised me. I said, clearly, that I was surprised it wasn't the final straw of tension boiling over that caused a bigger scene, hence the following: "What absolutely flabbergasts me, however, is how the shove Hughes gave to the Reds player on the grounder in the 8th didn't cause the tensions to finally boil over" and "now watching the clip, it's pretty amazing that there didn't seem to be much of a reaction." I was surprised, at least from what I saw, that there were just a few boos, and nothing else happened.