Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Animal's" Goats and Stars for 7/26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:06 pm 

Not sure how much longer my tenure will last here but . . . the Bucs are playing at a .667 clip with me filling in for Animal. As for last night, a necessary win. I'm looking at this series along the lines of an early season college football game. Kind of like Ohio State v. The Citadel. Less than 3 wins out of 4 games would be a disappointment. A "real" contender doesn't split a series against a lineup like the Astros are fielding. With Karstens, Rodriguez and MickieD on deck and looking at the Astros' lineup, I'm cautiously optimistice that the Bucs will be headed to Chicago no fewer than 15 games above .500. Gotta keep the foot on the gas and not let up on inferior competition. I think we saw a little bit of that from the offense last night after the lead grew to 5-0. With that, I offer the following:

STARTER: A.J. Burnett. 7.1 IP; 4 H; 1 BB; 5 Ks. Yeah, its Houston. Yeah, they’d lost 22 of 24. Yeah, the Astros had Keuchel on the mound and were fielding a AAA lineup. But . . . baseball is a funny game, MinuteMaid is a bandbox and the Bucs simply could not take an “L” with an “ace” on the mound against a downtrodden opponent. A loss on Thursday would have put the Bucs in a position to be needing 3 in a row. AJ steps up and throws 7 outstanding innings. Given all of the circumstances, I’m giving him a "Great" start.

HOLD: Lincoln. Yawn. What else is new?

SAVE: Hanrahan. What’s up with the 56 foot breaking pitches?

HONORABLE MENTION: Not much to choose from due to bats going silent for 7 innings. I’ll give one to McCutchen for his first inning single which preceded Jones’ bomb. Going up early and kicking the downtrodden Astros was a key point in the game. Also giving one to Barajas for not only getting on in front of Barmes in the 2nd but for the beating he took in the ninth inning from Hanrahan. Holy crap. Barajas likely had to take 14 ibuprofen to take care of that head ache.

STAR #3: Jones. HR in the first gave the Bucs a nice shot in the arm and put Astros in a tough hole before they even came to the plate.

STAR #2: Barmes. What looked to be simply a 2 run HR in a romp turned out to be a big blow in the game. Strike that. A huge blow in the overall picture.

STAR #1
: Marte. Was there any doubt? First pitch seen in the majors . . . gone. One heck of a debut. I’m going to stop with the superlatives because Presley hit a HR in his first game back from AAA but . . . I’m cautiously optimistic that Marte’s bat injects some offensive life into LF and his defense will be better than any other LFer that has played there all year.

STANDINGS
Cutch 92
Burnett 69
Alvarez 65
McDonald 59.5
Walker 55.5
GJones 48
Correia 38.5
Tabata 32
Presley 29.5
McHenry 29
Harrison 28
Barajas 27.5
Bedard 27
Lincoln 27
Barmes 27.5
McGehee 26.5
Hanrahan 24
Hughes 22.75
Karstens 21
Grilli 20.75
Cruz 15.75
Watson 14.75
Hague 10
Resop 7.5
Sutton 6.5
Morton 4.5
Meek 3.5
Slaten 3.5
Marte 3.0
Navarro 3.0
Mercer 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.5

Post subject: Re: "Animal's" Goats and Stars for 7/26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 pm 

Don't get too comfortable there No 9 taking over for me! LOL Your tenure is over! Great Job, and thanks!

Post subject: Re: "Animal's" Goats and Stars for 7/26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

That homerun wasn't a Presley shot. That looked like Robbie Cano was leading off for the Bucs.