Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goat and Stars for 06/20--Need Your Help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:17 pm 

Man, I hate losing games we could have won, but Grilli has been great all year. These things happen from time to time. I need your help. I am debating on a couple different guys for the goat. See my reasons below. Give me your votes.

STARTER: Bedard did not look pretty early, but ended up giving us 6 innings, 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 earned run, 7 K's. When he left, it was 1-0. Good Start.

LOSER: Grilli takes the loss for giving up a HR in the 8th in 1-1 game.

STAR #3: Giving it to Bedard. He gave us 6 innings and departed in a 1-0 game. Kept us in the game. You can't ask for anything more than that from a starter.

STAR #2: May get some arguments here, but I am giving the #2 star to Pedro. No hits, but got on base twice with BB and HBP and scored the Pirates only run.

STAR #1: He only had one AB, but Barajas got good wood on the ball and hit what should have been a bases clearing double if not for a sensational defensive play. It ended up being a Sac Fly, driving in our only run.

GOAT: This is where I need your help. You will select the goat by your vote. The candidates: Grilli. The normally solid Grilli went one inning. Threw 10 pitches, 9 for strikes, but gave up the winning HR. McGehee. He has been playing better of late. He had one of only 5 pirates hits, but he also stranded 4 runners on base, 2 of them in scoring position. That is huge in a one run game. In the first, he grounded out, with Harrison at second and two outs. In the 6th, with runners on 1st and second and two outs, he struck out. In 8th, with Cutch on 1st and one out, he grounded out! So who gets the goat, McGehee or Grilli? Give me your vote!

STANDINGS
Cutch 56
Alvarez 44
McDonald 43.5
Burnett 43.5
Walker 35.5
Tabata 31.5
Harrison 25
Barajas 25
Presley 24.5
Bedard 23.5
GJones 20.5
Correia 18
McGehee 18
Barmes 17.5
Hanrahan 16
Hughes 12.75
Grilli 12.5
Watson 12
Lincoln 12
Cruz 11.5
McHenry 10
Hague 10
Resop 4.65
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Slaten 3
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goat and Stars for 06/20--Need Your Help
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm 

i am going to give it to tabata....barajas came within inches of giving us a lead, but span made a great catch.....tabata who is for some reason our leadoff hitter comes up to the plate with runners at first and second, he did not get it done AGAIN, grounding weakly to the right side (i know how surprising). As a leadoff hitter, he is horrible, I have been his biggest critic for quite a while but its starting to piss me off when i see him in the lineup every day, I dont care if pressly is a lefty or not, he is a better baseball player than tabata, play him

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm 

I'd give the goat to the entire offense.

Even though Grilli gave up that HR, Bedard and the bullpen gave up 2 runs for the game......should have been an easy win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:14 pm 

Tabata looks progressively worse this year. Looks like he'll be the odd man out sooner or later.
Goat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:47 pm 

Come on, I know there are a lot of Tabata haters out there...but let's be realistic.

First inning...leadoff strikeout.
Third Inning...Two outs, bases empty, grounded out.
Sixth Inning...With Hague at 1st and Bucs down by a run, he sacraficed him to second, where a hit would bring him in with the tying run.
7th Inning...two outs, guys on first and second, grounded out.

So he had one bad at bat with guys on...one productive at bat where he put the tying run in position to score. How does that rate as the goat over McGehee and Grilli. Someone please explain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm 

These guys seemed to be swinging at many pitches down low and outside the strike zone (again). I don't understand it. Instead of waiting for the ball to be elevated (at least a little) they go chasing out of the strike zone down low and or outside of the strike zone making the life of the opposing pitcher (in this case Liriano) much easier than it should be.

It they would show some more plate discipline and patience and work the count these Bucs might draw more walks and eventually get better pitches to hit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:49 pm 

Animal wrote:
Come on, I know there are a lot of Tabata haters out there...but let's be realistic.

Sixth Inning...With Hague at 1st and Bucs down by a run, he sacraficed him to second, where a hit would bring him in with the tying run.

So he had one bad at bat with guys on...one productive at bat where he put the tying run in position to score. How does that rate as the goat over McGehee and Grilli. Someone please explain.

grilli has had 2 bad games because of two bad pitches, one to ethier in LA earlier in the year that gave the dodgers a win and one to willingham last night that gave the twins a win. Other than those mess ups he has been lights out, Tabata has been horrible this year as a leadoff guy and especially with guys in scoring position. Maybe it is not fair to give him the goat because he has been horrible all year but that is why i gave it to him over grilli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 pm 

batterup wrote:
Animal wrote:

grilli has had 2 bad games because of two bad pitches, one to ethier in LA earlier in the year that gave the dodgers a win and one to willingham last night that gave the twins a win. Other than those mess ups he has been lights out, Tabata has been horrible this year as a leadoff guy and especially with guys in scoring position. Maybe it is not fair to give him the goat because he has been horrible all year but that is why i gave it to him over grilli

Prior games do not contribute to any game's goat!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 am 

Well nobody voted for Grilli OR McGehee, so I am giving the goat to McGehee.

STANDINGS
Cutch 56
Alvarez 44
McDonald 43.5
Burnett 43.5
Walker 35.5
Tabata 31.5
Harrison 25
Barajas 25
Presley 24.5
Bedard 23.5
GJones 20.5