Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ANIMAL's STARS FOR 06/07
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 pm 

WOW! Bucs beat Chapman! Bucs beat Chapman! Bucs beat Chapman! WHAT A GAME!!!!! This was probably more exciting than if Hanrahan had shut them down in the 9th. Good team win. The Bucs do a lot of little things to win this game...throwing out runners, taking an extra base, making contact and moving runners up. Then, the fight back against one of toughest pitchers in the league..and by two very unlikely sources. The move to within 2 game of first place!

STARTER: Correia. 5 innings 8 hits, 1 BB....3 earned runs. Wasn't pretty but kept the Bucs in the game. Got some outs when he had to. Calling this an OK START!

WIN: Hanrahan blows the save and gets the win. Guess you gotta give him credit for holding it together after the HR to Ludwick. His teammates picked him up.

SAVE: Resop. Like Correia, it wasn't pretty, especially early, but came on strong to strikout Ludwick with the tying run in scoring position and the winning run on first!

HOLDS: Cruz, Watson, and Grilli combine for two scoreless innings of relief, keeping the Bucs in the lead and each of them came through with huge strikeouts.

BLOWN SAVE: Hanrahan

STAR #3: Giving it to Presley. He did what leadoff guys are supposed to do...get on base and score runs. He had a double and a single and scored two runs. Man, what did they FEED him at Indy??

STAR #2: Barmes. He had just one hit and scored just one run...but his at bat against Chapman was awesome. I lost track of how many pitches he fouled off....ended up with a leadoff double and scored the winning run.

STAR #1: Fort McHenry. The guy did it all tonight. He went just 1-4 but he connected with a SAC FLY to bring in Tabata and give the Bucs the lead in the 7th, then doubled in the 10th off Chapman to drive in the WINNING RUN! In addition, he was phenomenal behind the plate. He looked like Mark Andre Fleury out there toninght.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: You have to start with Tabata. I feel bad he only gets an HM. He threw a guy out at the plate. He went 1-4, and scored a run, helped by a remarkable play he made. He hit an infield single..and was sacrificed to second by Barmes. When Phillips was "hot dogging", Tabata legged it into third where he scored a go-ahead run on SF by McHenry. Walker earns an HM with a double right after a Presley double to bring in the first Bucco run. GJones gets an HM. He went 1-2 with 2 RBI. He drives in Walker with a SF to give the Bucs their first lead. Later, he singled with two outs to drive in Presley. Jared Hughes came up HUGE in one inning of relief. He came in with score tied, guys on first and third, and got out of it with any further damage, striking out Ludwick in the process, HM for him!. And giving Resop and HM also. He made his own trouble in the 10th but got out of it on his own, striking out Ludwick to end the game with guys on 1st and second.

THE STANDINGS
Cutch 48
McDonald 39.5
Alvarez 33
Burnett 32.5
Tabata 29
Walker 27
Harrison 22
Presley 19.5
Bedard 20
GJones 18.8
Correia 18
Lincoln 17
Barajas 17
Barmes 17
Hanrahan 14
Grilli 11.75
Cruz 11
McHenry 10
Hague 10
McGeehee 10
Watson 8.75
Hughes 7.5
Resop 4.75
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Slaten 2.25
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5

Post subject: Re: ANIMAL's STARS FOR 06/07
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 am 

I like it.

I agree with the stars. Grilli and Watson are fun to watch. They go after hitters with gas, and then mix in an 85 mph slider.

P.S. If I'm Hurdle, and make the call to the pen for Watson, I could not help but say ...

"Watson, come here, I need you." :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:48 am 

Bucfan wrote:
I like it.

I agree with the stars. Grilli and Watson are fun to watch. They go after hitters with gas, and then mix in an 85 mph slider.

P.S. If I'm Hurdle, and make the call to the pen for Watson, I could not help but say ...

"Watson, come here, I need you." :)

Well, you know, it's elementary!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:28 am 

Tink Tabata should get a star. Was absolutely instrumental in the win-- hands down all-around play nets him nothing????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 am 

I think McGehee should get a HM for that pick in the 10th inning at 1st base on Barmes awful throw. If he doesnt pick that ball, it could have been 2nd and 3rd with nobody out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 am 

Jason Grilli is rapidly becoming one of my favorites on this team. Performance has been good, attitude has been great, and enthusiasm for his team is outstanding. I truly believe that he is thrilled with the opportunities and faith the Pirates had/ have in him, and is really proud to wear the black and gold. Nothing would make me happier than to see him continue to succeed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 am 

I think everyone from Hurdle to the Bat Boy deserve and HM. Great team effort. Was on the edge of my seat for the last 3 innings. Don't make it easy, but they never gave up. Not only put a dent in Chapman's shield, but thru it on the gound and stomped on it. Jose's benching may just have been the ticket. What a throw the first inning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:11 am 

I thought Jared Hughes had the second biggest moment of the game after the doubles in the 10th. With the game tied 3-3 and runners on 1st and 3rd, he retires the side without further damage. Usually we are looking at 4-3 or 6-3 at that point. Hughes has been awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:34 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Tink Tabata should get a star. Was absolutely instrumental in the win-- hands down all-around play nets him nothing????

It was difficult! He got an Honorable Mention. but I think the contributions of Presley, Barmes, and McHenry were just a bit more important in the victory....if nothing else because of WHEN they came about. But you are right, without the contributions of Tabata, we lose the game...but then again, that goes for all these guys who got mention!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 am 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Jason Grilli is rapidly becoming one of my favorites on this team. Performance has been good, attitude has been great, and enthusiasm for his team is outstanding. I truly believe that he is thrilled with the opportunities and faith the Pirates had/ have in him, and is really proud to wear the black and gold. Nothing would make me happier than to see him continue to succeed.

He's the closer if the Bucs trade Hanrahan. And I think he could be just as effective.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 pm 

I wouldn't object to signing Grilli long term...closer or not. My nerves are not nearly as frayed when he's on the bump.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:24 pm 

IMOKRU wrote:
I think everyone from Hurdle to the Bat Boy deserve and HM. Great team effort. Was on the edge of my seat for the last 3 innings. Don't make it easy, but they never gave up. Not only put a dent in Chapman's shield, but thru it on the gound and stomped on it. Jose's benching may just have been the ticket. What a throw the first inning.

You're absolutely right!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Charleston_Charlies wrote:

He's the closer if the Bucs trade Hanrahan. And I think he could be just as effective.

Agree with you 100%. I think his play should make the Bucs throw Hanrahan's name out there, and see who gives us the best return. This is not at all a complaint about Hanrahan. I love him. You are not going to be successful every time....but with Grilli's play, along with the rest of the pen, and even the arms in the minors, you can move Hannie and not lose a thing, except some forthcoming salary!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:30 pm 

we are going to be looking back at this win in late october when we are in the world series :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:25 pm 

batterup wrote:
we are going to be looking back at this win in late october when we are in the world series :P

YEP, and with the production from Presley, Tabata, and Garrett Jones, and seeing Quentin on the DL, we are going to be so thankful we did not make that trade! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
batterup wrote:

YEP, and with the production from Presley, Tabata, and Garrett Jones, and seeing Quentin on the DL, we are going to be so thankful we did not make that trade! :)

Totally! Would be lunacy to give up Presley, Tabata and Garrett Jones for Quentin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I thought Jared Hughes had the second biggest moment of the game after the doubles in the 10th. With the game tied 3-3 and runners on 1st and 3rd, he retires the side without further damage. Usually we are looking at 4-3 or 6-3 at that point. Hughes has been awesome.

You know what, I cannot justify failing to mention that sequence. In the Pub, I noted how important Hughes' work was.

1st and 3rd, no outs, tie game, on the road, bad guys have Marshall/Chapman if the run scores?

Hughes says, "Not so fast."

The bullpen is really solid. Watson, Hughes, Lincoln, Cruz, Grilli, Hanrahan all have nasty sh*t. Velocity, pitches that dart and dive, breaking balls that are just naaaaaasty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am 

The pen has been unbelievable. ALL OF THEM!

I am looking at my star standings and seeing the low point totals for some of the relievers, particularly Grilli and Cruz. On the next off day, I am going to look at that and change my system. I am going to start giving .5 for a hold instead of .25. It should be the same as a save. What difference does it make if they do their work in the 7th or 8th, instead of the 9th. Is it any less important?

I am going to figure out the holds and add to their totals. I think it will better reflect their importance to the team. When their work is REALLY good, getting out of a jamb that someone else created, they will also earn Honorable Mention Points.