Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for 06/01
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:59 am 

Back over .500...just a half game out of second place. If this team can consistently beat the Brewers, then I KNOW they are NOT the SAME OLD BUCS! Good win tonight. Decent pitching. One big inning. Hold on. Add some insurance late. Sounds like a recipe for victory to me. My daughter graduated high school tonight...my baby...so I did not get to see the game. Looks like I can gather enough from the boxscore and play-by-play to get it done though!

STARTER: Everybody's favorite whipping boy Kevin Correia has another DECENT START away from home. Did not really go long enough though to make it a GOOD START..calling it OK. 2 earned runs in 5 2/3 innings.

WIN: Correia does enough to pick up the win!

HOLD: Slaten gets ouf a the 6th and starts the 7th. He gets the hold to pick up his first "star points" as a Buc.

STAR #3: Walker goes 2-4, plus a rock, scoring a run and driving one in.

STAR #2: Cutch has a monster game but can only get the #2 star. That's good for the Bucs. Cutch goes 2-4, plus a walk, with a double, a triple, a run and 3 RBI.

STAR #1: It would be nice if this could catapult Tabata and get him going. Tonight was probably his best game all season. On base four times, 2-3 plus 2 BB. Two doubles, a stolen base, a run, and 3 RBIs coming up very clutch with a bases loaded double, with two outs, blowing open a 2 run game, making it a 5-run lead. Later, he doubled with 2 outs to start a rally giving us 2 insurance runs. Great game for Tabata tonight. If he can keep it going and we can get Pedro hot again, this team will win lots of games!

Honorable Mention: Harrison 1-4 with a triple, a walk, a SB, and two runs. Hague went 2-4 to raise his average up to .281 as the starting 1b. Barajas went 2-5 with a run and an RBI. Relievers had a big lead to work with tonight. Sometimes that might be difficult, but they did their job. Nothing extraordinary. No HMs for them.

Standings
Cutch 42
McDonald 35.5
Alvarez 32.5
Burnett 29.5
Tabata 26.5
Walker 23.5
Bedard 22
Lincoln 21
Harrison 22
Presley 17.5
Correia 17
Barajas 16
GJones 13.5
Hanrahan 11.5
Grilli 11
Cruz 10.25
Barmes 10
Hague 9.5
McGeehee 8.5
Watson 8.5
McHenry 7
Hughes 7.0
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Resop 2.25
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5
Slaten 0.25

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for 06/01
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am 

Cannot disagree with the stars much, Animal, except to note that Correia did a better job than you might think. He was given that 6-run inning and the next 1/2 inning, sets the Brewers down quickly and quietly.

That was the game.

If the Brewers put 1 or 2 on the board that half inning, the game is completely different.

Also, he had a runner at 2nd, two out, in the bottom of the 6th. He worked around Kottaras, I thought, to bring up Conrad. I think Correia did not believe that he would be pulled if he walked Kottaras and wanted to go after Conrad, and was surprised when Hurdle pulled the plug.

Also, Tabata had a fine game (and he probably robs Hart of the HR ... Harrison missed it by 6"). However, he was helped out quite a bit on the bases clearing double by a misplay by Morgan, who proved once again that he is not a center fielder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Cannot disagree with the stars much, Animal, except to note that Correia did a better job than you might think. He was given that 6-run inning and the next 1/2 inning, sets the Brewers down quickly and quietly.

That was the game.

If the Brewers put 1 or 2 on the board that half inning, the game is completely different.

Also, he had a runner at 2nd, two out, in the bottom of the 6th. He worked around Kottaras, I thought, to bring up Conrad. I think Correia did not believe that he would be pulled if he walked Kottaras and wanted to go after Conrad, and was surprised when Hurdle pulled the plug.

Also, Tabata had a fine game (and he probably robs Hart of the HR ... Harrison missed it by 6"). However, he was helped out quite a bit on the bases clearing double by a misplay by Morgan, who proved once again that he is not a center fielder.

I still like my starters to go at least 6 innings to make it a good start...but what do you think...should I change Corriea to a "good start"? Should I give him an Honorable mention? Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 am 

Has to be an HM at the very least.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:04 am 

Animal wrote:
I still like my starters to go at least 6 innings to make it a good start...but what do you think...should I change Corriea to a "good start"? Should I give him an Honorable mention? Your thoughts?

Yes.

He could not locate his curve ball the first 2 innings and kept pounding the fastball in the strike zone. When he began spotting his curve ball in the 3rd inning, I thought he would do a fine job.

He did. Hurdle pulled him because he was NOT going to let the Brewers get back into the game on one swing. I feel that Correia was doing a good job and would have retired Conrad if given the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 am 

OK, thanks for the input... Going by the boxscore isn't always the best way.

Changing Correia from an OK START to a GOOD start.

Updated Standings
Cutch 42
McDonald 35.5
Alvarez 32.5
Burnett 29.5
Tabata 26.5
Walker 23.5
Bedard 22
Lincoln 21
Harrison 22
Correia 18
Presley 17.5
Barajas 16
GJones 13.5
Hanrahan 11.5
Grilli 11
Cruz 10.25
Barmes 10
Hague 9.5
McGeehee 8.5
Watson 8.5
McHenry 7
Hughes 7.0
Morton 4.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Resop 2.25
Hernandez 1.0
Mercer 0.5
Slaten 0.25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:31 am 

Animal wrote:
STAR #1: It would be nice if this could catapult Tabata and get him going. Tonight was probably his best game all season. On base four times, 2-3 plus 2 BB. Two doubles, a stolen base, a run, and 3 RBIs coming up very clutch with a bases loaded double, with two outs, blowing open a 2 run game, making it a 5-run lead. Later, he doubled with 2 outs to start a rally giving us 2 insurance runs. Great game for Tabata tonight. If he can keep it going and we can get Pedro hot again, this team will win lots of games!

Of course Tabata would have a big game like this and some extra luck...I released him from my Fantasy Team Thursday...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:52 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Animal wrote:

Of course Tabata would have a big game like this and some extra luck...I released him from my Fantasy Team Thursday...

Would you happen to have any other Pirates on your fantasy team?? RELEASE THEM!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

Animal wrote:
Would you happen to have any other Pirates on your fantasy team?? RELEASE THEM!

Exactly, J_C ... release Cutch!!

(Of course, Cutch appears to be doing just fine while on J_C's team, but that is beside the point.)