Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goat and Stars for 05/22
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am 

Sorry I did not post this last night. Missed the game. Looks like I picked a good one to miss, other that seemingly missing another great pitching performance from JMac. Doing the goat and stars from boxscore and play by play. Certainly you miss things when you don't SEE the game...so if anybody has any suggestions for changes, let me know who and why.

STARTER: JMac. 7 inns. 4 hits, 2 BB...8 Ks. One earned run. Another GREAT START for JMac!

LOSER: Cruz...I predicted he was have an outcome in the game, but not the kind I hoped for or expected! You can't get too down on the guy though. He has been phenomenal...and his defense hurt him tonight.

STAR #3: JMac. Kept the Bucs in the game yet again with pitifil offensive showing. Enough Said.

STAR #2: Harrison. Yet again, Harrison has that bat going. Did someone say they wanted to see Gorkys in RF? Harrison goes 2-4 with a triple that led to the Bucs tying the game, plus a double. If he is going to keep hitting, keep playing him somewhere.

STAR #1: Cutch. 1-3 with 2 RBI and a stolen base. Apparently though, someone posted there was a problem with his hustle. Not sure what happened. I DO know he hit SF that tied the game. Drove in the second run that got us within one. Stole second after that which would have allowed for the tying run if Pedro had gotten a hit afterwards.

HM: Resop. Came in and would have gotten out of jam if not for Pedro's error. Worked 1.1 scoreless to keep the game close. Tabata went 1-4, but that one double was clutch..an helped the Bucs pull to within one.

GOAT: Someone suggested Pedro in a post. Cruz is definately another possibility. The normally reliable Cruz faced 5 batters, thre 27 pitches with only 14 strikes. Subsequently, he walked one, gave up two hits, and struck out the other two. Not good enough at all. He allowed a run to score while he was in, and a second unearned run was charged to him when Pedro made the error. I am not going to get too down on him though, because you can't be perfect EVERY nigth. As for Pedro, he went 1-4 with a meaningless single, but grounded out in first with Harrison at second, and struckout in 8th with Cutch at second with tying run. Also made the error that allowed the Mets third run. He has made a lot of errors, but also has made a lot of great plays. Reminds me of ARam early on. I would take a career like ARams! Guess I gotta agree with whoever posted that suggestion. Pedro is goat.

STANDINGS
Cutch 36
McDonald 29.5
Alvarez 25
Tabata 22
Walker 21
Burnett 20.5
Lincoln 20
Presley 17.5
Bedard 17
Harrison 17
Correia 12.5
Barajas 11.5
Cruz 10
GJones 10
Barmes 10
Watson 8.5
Hanrahan 8.5
McHenry 7
Morton 7
Grilli 7
Hughes 6.25
McGeehee 5.5
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Resop 2.25
Hague 1.0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goat and Stars for 05/22
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am 

The umpire's strike zone was iffy during Cruz's time on the mound. A lot of missed, bad, blown, close pitches that didn't go his way. He was upset and the dugout was too on some of the pitches that were called balls.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 am 

smart pick with the goat....i guess a really smart, intelligent poster made a nice suggestion :D

I think Cruz had a real nice pitch, but it was not being called, at leat the ump was being consistent. He threw the same pitch 3 times to he same batter and all 3 were just off the plate

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The umpire's strike zone was iffy during Cruz's time on the mound. A lot of missed, bad, blown, close pitches that didn't go his way. He was upset and the dugout was too on some of the pitches that were called balls.

Cruz is a head case. All of those pitches, ALL, were balls. It was shown on pitch tracker and after the game Hurdle said Barajas said the same and someone from upstairs told him that they were balls. I like how Cruz has been pitching, for the most part, but he just seems like he could snap at any point.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm 

Cruz did not get good defense behind him. Cutch should have made the catch on the double. He turned the wrong way. Garrett Jones did not make a play although it was a tough one. And Pedro had just a flat out error that allowed the winning run to score. Hard to blame that on Cruz.

Also, I was the one who mentioned the lack of hustle by Cutch and that should negate his No. 1 star. it was unacceptable. He jogged to first. Again, like I mentioned in the other post, I am not sure if he would have ended up on second anyway (which he did from a stolen base), but that is not what I want to see from a team leader. It was lazy and unacceptable.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Cruz is a head case. All of those pitches, ALL, were balls. It was shown on pitch tracker and after the game Hurdle said Barajas said the same and someone from upstairs told him that they were balls. I like how Cruz has been pitching, for the most part, but he just seems like he could snap at any point.

Sounds about like ANY reliever!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm 

There was nothing meaningless about Pedro's single. His single represented the go-ahead run in the 6th inning after Cutch's sac fly. It is not his fault that the hitters behind him failed to bring him around to score.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:50 pm 

Willton wrote:
There was nothing meaningless about Pedro's single. His single represented the go-ahead run in the 6th inning after Cutch's sac fly. It is not his fault that the hitters behind him failed to bring him around to score.

You're right... I guess any hit is not meaningless in that the players behind him can drive him in. Poor choice of words. I think Pedro is doing better, but still does not negate him from being last night's goat!