Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Birthday Stars and Goats...
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:15 pm 

Who is this Adam LaRoche guy? Geez!

Starter: Bedard. Six innings. Four runs. Calling it an OK start.

Loser: Bedard.

Goat: No doubt about this one...the player MOST RESPOSIBLE for this loss is Evan Meek in his first day back. Two walks, a hit batter, and a double later, a one run deficit turns into a 4 run deficit.

Star #3: Giving Barajas some more love. 1-3 plus a walk. Scored a run.

Star #2: Cutch went 2-4, to raise his average up to .344.

Star #1: Harrison went 2-4, with a HR to put us back in the game, and 3 RBIs in all.

Honorable Mention: Although it had no real bearing on the game, I am giving Hughes some love here with a perfect inning.

STANDINGS
Alvarez 26
Cutch 26
McDonald 23
Tabata 21.5
Lincoln 17.5
Presley 17.5
Walker 17.0
Burnett 16.5
Bedard 16.5
Correia 11.5
Cruz 10.5
Morton 10
GJones 10
Harrison 7.5
Barmes 7.0
Watson 6.75
Barajas 6.5
Hanrahan 6.5
Grilli 6.0
Hughes 5.75
McGeehee 5.5
McHenry 4.0
Karstens 4.0
Meek 3.25
Navarro 3.0
McLouth 2.5
Resop 1.25
Hague 1.0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Birthday Stars and Goats...
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:17 pm 

I know we went through this last year, but the real goat is Clint Hurdle. Meek might have put them there, but no reason they had to score. Probably wouldn't have if Cruz was in the game. Bad time to stop over managing, Clint.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:22 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I know we went through this last year, but the real goat is Clint Hurdle. Meek might have put them there, but no reason they had to score. Probably wouldn't have if Cruz was in the game. Bad time to stop over managing, Clint.

You can't fault the manager because a player did not perform like he should have. Maybe then, we should call Huntington the goat for even calling Meek up. If Meek were still at AAA, this would not have happened!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm 

Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

You can't fault the manager because a player did not perform like he should have. Maybe then, we should call Huntington the goat for even calling Meek up. If Meek were still at AAA, this would not have happened!

Disagree Animal. Hurdle decides which pitchers are in the game during certain situations. When your pitcher loads the bases without a hit in a one-run game after stinking the joint out during his first stint with the team, the manager can make a judgment call to bring in another pitcher who gives the team a better chance to win. Almost everyone was questioning why Meek was still in the game. Cruz was ready. He should have been in the game once the bases were loaded with the game on the line.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Animal wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Disagree Animal. Hurdle decides which pitchers are in the game during certain situations. When your pitcher loads the bases without a hit in a one-run game after stinking the joint out during his first stint with the team, the manager can make a judgment call to bring in another pitcher who gives the team a better chance to win. Almost everyone was questioning why Meek was still in the game. Cruz was ready. He should have been in the game once the bases were loaded with the game on the line.

I disagree. First off, you can't count what happened prior to Meek's demotion. He pitched very well at AAA and earned his recall. He struck out two guys. His stuff was pretty good. I think he needed to work through it.

Should we give the credit to Hurdle every time a reliever doesn't give up any runs? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:38 pm 

Hurdle waited too long to pull Meek. Case closed. I applaud his wanting to welcome back Meek by putting him in this situation, but he did not have it. Pull him.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 pm 

Animal wrote:
I disagree. First off, you can't count what happened prior to Meek's demotion. He pitched very well at AAA and earned his recall. He struck out two guys. His stuff was pretty good. I think he needed to work through it.

Should we give the credit to Hurdle every time a reliever doesn't give up any runs? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Work through it when they are down 5 runs. Not when the game is still on the line. Meek has done nothing since his rookie year to earn that type of nod. And great, he was mowing them in Class AAA. Geez.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:53 pm 

Meek=toast. As BB said...hasn't done a thing since rookie season. It was rather silly for them to think because he got a few AAA batters out that he was "all fixed up". Leave him down there until you get a real measure of where he is at.

As for your goats thing Animal, you have to go with Meek....he is the guy that was out there....ahem...performing....

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Meek=toast. As BB said...hasn't done a thing since rookie season. It was rather silly for them to think because he got a few AAA batters out that he was "all fixed up". Leave him down there until you get a real measure of where he is at.

As for your goats thing Animal, you have to go with Meek....he is the guy that was out there....ahem...performing....

Right!

That was the argument, whether Meek deserved the goat or Hurdle. In my mind, clearly it's Meek. He did not do the job.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 am 

Managing to me means putting your players in the best situations to succeed.

It was obvious Meek did not have what it took to get out of that inning. Even Hurdle was quoted as saying the reason he kept Meek in the game was to see if he COULD get out of a bad situation. In my opinion Hurdle left Meek in a bad situation to fail.

That's where I agree with BB. Not when the game is on the line and especially after Meek was called back up from Indy.

I would think you would want to ease Meek back into the role of being a successful reliever.

Hurdle should have pulled Evan after there was first sign of trouble. And that should have been after the first or second walk he gave up.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Managing to me means putting your players in the best situations to succeed.

It was obvious Meek did not have what it took to get out of that inning. Even Hurdle was quoted as saying the reason he kept Meek in the game was to see if he COULD get out of a bad situation. In my opinion Hurdle left Meek in a bad situation to fail.

That's where I agree with BB. Not when the game is on the line and especially after Meek was called back up from Indy.

I would think you would want to ease Meek back into the role of being a successful reliever.

Hurdle should have pulled Evan after there was first sign of trouble. And that should have been after the first or second walk he gave up.

This. I had no problem with him being brought out in the first place. I had the problem when Hurdle had a chance to give his team a better chance to succeed after Meek put them in a dangerous situation. That would have meant bringing in Cruz. Even if Meek would have gotten LaRoche out, I would have questioned the move. So it's not about Meek.