Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 2, 2012 Pirates (10-13) at Cardinals (15-8)
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 am 

From the "I'm surprised no one else has said this yet" category,

I find it completely ridiculous that Burnett was allowed to stay out there until he had given up 12 runs. Start with the fact that the game was essentially over in the 3rd inning. They should have invoked the mercy rule right then and there and took both teams to go get ice cream.

But more significantly, they let Burnett's psyche and ERA take a beating that may be difficult to recover from. Even though you could see early on that he had nothing, I could see because of his veteran status leaving him out there for perhaps as many as 8 runs.

After that it became ridiculous and stupid and whoever allowed it should be reprimanded.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am 

Ralphie wrote:
From the "I'm surprised no one else has said this yet" category,

I find it completely ridiculous that Burnett was allowed to stay out there until he had given up 12 runs. Start with the fact that the game was essentially over in the 3rd inning. They should have invoked the mercy rule right then and there and took both teams to go get ice cream.

But more significantly, they let Burnett's psyche and ERA take a beating that may be difficult to recover from. Even though you could see early on that he had nothing, I could see because of his veteran status leaving him out there for perhaps as many as 8 runs.

After that it became ridiculous and stupid and whoever allowed it should be reprimanded.

I disagree. Especially with a day game today, the Bucs needed the innings from Burnett. They guy is a 100 year veteran...it's not going to mess with his psyche. After being so bad, Burnett did what he could to still help the team...go a little longer and not deplete the bullpen any more than they had to.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:47 am 

Well they didn't get innings from him, so that strategy backfired.

If I remember what I heard correctly, this is the most earned runs allowed in a single game by a Pirate since 1932. In all of baseball, in 3 innings or less, this is the most earned runs allowed since 1920.

No other manager would have allowed this to happen to one of their pitchers.

He was a head case in New York, and we are committed to him for 2 years. We need him to produce for us and this jeapardizes that.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:04 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Well they didn't get innings from him, so that strategy backfired.

If I remember what I heard correctly, this is the most earned runs allowed in a single game by a Pirate since 1932. In all of baseball, in 3 innings or less, this is the most earned runs allowed since 1920.

No other manager would have allowed this to happen to one of their pitchers.

He was a head case in New York, and we are committed to him for 2 years. We need him to produce for us and this jeapardizes that.

They got 2 2/3 instead of 1.