Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Stars for Saturday's (04/28) 4-2 Bucco Win
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 am 

Bucs are holding thier own...I was hoping for close to a .500 record for April's tough schedule. Great win tonight. Lots of contributors.

WP: Bedard
Holds: Resop, Cruz, Grilli
Save: Hanrahan

Star # 3: Bedard..another good start for him...and this time the Bucco offense actually helps him out! Threw a lot of pitches, but got through 5 innings, with 5 hits, 2 BB, 9 K's and just one earned run. Even added a sac bunt for good measure!! Gets his first Pirate win, to go with 4 losses, but a great ERA of 2.48!

Star #2: Presley...jsut keeps going and going and going....went 2-4 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Now has, I believe a 13 game hitting streak...

Star #1: Pedro! To all those Pedro bashers out there...he still is not performing like he can and should, but he has been doing everything to help the Bucs win over past week or so. Tonight...went 2-4 with 2 doubles and an RBI. Yes, he still K'd twice and left 2 on base...but I will take a performance like this from him every night!

Honorable Mention: GJones. No hits tonight, but came through with a SAC FLY on his first AB to score the Bucs first run. So often this year, players have failed to do even that! Neil Walker had 2 hits including what I believe was his first extra base hit of the night. Scored on one of Pedro's doubles. Grilli gets an HM for a perfect innings, striking out the side in the 8th. Hanrahan gets one too for his perfect 9th, striking out two!

STANDINGS
ACutch 13.5
Presley 13.5
Correia 10.0
Alvarez 9.5
GJones 9.0
Walker 9.0
Cruz 8.25
McGeehee 6.0
Burnett 6.0
McDonald 5.5
Hanrahan 5.0
Barmes 5.0
Meek 4.25
Morton 4.0
Lincoln 4.0
Grilli 4.0
Bedard 4.0
Watson 3.5
Tabata 3.0
Karstens 2.0
Hague 1.0
McHenry 1.0
Hughes 0.75
Harrison 0.0
Resop -0.50
Barajas -1.5

Post subject: Re: Animal's Stars for Saturday's (04/28) 4-2 Bucco Win
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:11 am 

Again, thanks Animal for all your time with this thread. I wonder if maybe the system might need some minor tweaking. Since the pitching has been so outstanding, especially when stacked up against the hitting, you would think the pitchers would rank the highest in total points on your scale. But only one is in the top 8 of the list. The next 8 are dominated by pitchers but maybe some way to give them a little more credit?????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Again, thanks Animal for all your time with this thread. I wonder if maybe the system might need some minor tweaking. Since the pitching has been so outstanding, especially when stacked up against the hitting, you would think the pitchers would rank the highest in total points on your scale. But only one is in the top 8 of the list. The next 8 are dominated by pitchers but maybe some way to give them a little more credit?????

I thought about that. That's why I am giving points for wins, holds, and saves. The problem is, despite the good effort, the starter loses points for a loss. There are no wins or saves when we lose. I thought all in all, these things would even out over the course or a season...winning games you should have lost and losing some you should have won.

I was thinking about a totally subjective stat like great start (3), good start (2), or OK start (1), to go along with the others. In addition, there would be bad start (-1) and horrible start (-2). Anyone like that idea? If I were to do that...this would be the results over the 20 games....

Game 1 - Bedard 1 ER in 7 innings. GREAT START
Game 2 - Karstens 1 ER 6 innings. GREAT START
Game 3 - McDonald 2 ER 6 innings. GOOD START
Game 4 - Correia 1 ER 6 innings GREAT START
Game 5 - Bedard 2 ER 5 innings OK START
Game 6 - Karstens 3 ER in 5 innings Average Start (0)
Game 7- McDonald 3 ER in 5.2 Avergage Start
Game 8 - Morton 3 ER in 5 inns OK start
Game 9 - Correia 1 ER in 6 innings GREAT START
Game 10- Bedard 2 ER in 5 innings OK start
Game 11- Karstens 1 inn 2 ER Bad Start
Game 12- McDonald 1 ER in 4 inns OK start
Game 13- Morton 1 ER in 5 inns OK start
Game 14- Burnett 0 ER in 7 inns GREAT START
Game 15- Bedard 2 ER in 7 inns GOOD START
Game 16- Correia 2 ER in 6 inns GOOD START
Game 17- McDonald 1 ER in 7 inns GREAT START
Game 18- Morton 1 ER in 7 inns GREAT START
Game 19- Burnett 2 ER in 6 inns GOOD START
Game 20- Bedard 1 ER in 5 inns GOOD START

These stats would add the following points to the tally... Bedard 9, Correia 8, McDonald 6, Morton 5, Burnett 5, Karstens 2.

NEW STANDINGS

Correia 18.0
ACutch 13.5
Presley 13.5
Bedard 13.0
McDonald 11.5
Burnett 11.0
Alvarez 9.5
GJones 9.0
Walker 9.0
Morton 9.0
Cruz 8.25
McGeehee 6.0
Hanrahan 5.0
Barmes 5.0
Meek 4.25
Lincoln 4.0
Grilli 4.0
Karstens 4.0
Watson 3.5
Tabata 3.0
Hague 1.0
McHenry 1.0
Hughes 0.75
Harrison 0.0
Resop -0.50
Barajas -1.5

ANybody else have any thoughts on this?? It makes some of the pitchers pretty high on this point tally, but then again, they have been extremely good!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:58 am 

Good point (and yes..thank you Animal!). I think the pitchers need a different point system. The position players system is perfect I believe. Maybe something like a 4 point max for starters (CG shutout). Short of that...maybe 1 point for a strong start, 1 point for every 5 Ks. Subtract a point for every 3 walks. Two walks in an inning -1. For the bullpen...a hold has to be worth a point. Save is worth a point. Etc...I know...pretty complicated :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 pm 

Get rid of the points for a loss and replace them with a negative if the pitcher doesn't provide a quality start and the Pirates lose. That way the run production doesn't negate the positive effort.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 pm 

KISS. KISS, KISS Animal, you will drive yourself nuts if you keep tweaking the system. I think its fine