Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: April 25, 2012 Rockies (8-8) at Pirates (7-9) GAME 1
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 am 

bradf wrote:
I was right in front of it in section 108. It was not deep...he came in several steps to catch it and acted like he had all day to throw it. And the throw was very weak.

So he threw the ball like an old man? :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 am 

Quote:
Would this be a good time to point out that Pedro's OPS over his last 5 games is .919? He's also knocked in more than 50% of the runs scored by the team in those games (yeah, yeah, I know, RBIs are meaningless).

Since we were crucifying him for a small sample-size early in the season, seems like he should get a little praise for his small sample-size success lately.

I agree, he deserves some praise. Some. I'd feel better about him if some of those HR's were on fastballs, but basically all of them have been on changeups. At least the one in I think game 2, was on a breaking ball, that's huge that he finally hit one of those.

So it's great to see it, but I'd still like to see what happens if they move him up in the lineup and he has pitchers attacking the areas he's shown his weaknesses in. I need to see him adjust to that before I get too excited.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:47 am 

Steelcurtain512 wrote:
Quote:
Would this be a good time to point out that Pedro's OPS over his last 5 games is .919? He's also knocked in more than 50% of the runs scored by the team in those games (yeah, yeah, I know, RBIs are meaningless).

Since we were crucifying him for a small sample-size early in the season, seems like he should get a little praise for his small sample-size success lately.

I agree, he deserves some praise. Some. I'd feel better about him if some of those HR's were on fastballs, but basically all of them have been on changeups. At least the one in I think game 2, was on a breaking ball, that's huge that he finally hit one of those.

So it's great to see it, but I'd still like to see what happens if they move him up in the lineup and he has pitchers attacking the areas he's shown his weaknesses in. I need to see him adjust to that before I get too excited.

The pitchers did already adjust to his weakness by throwing him very few fastballs. Now he's hitting offspeed stuff and missing fastballs. They will shift back to heat and make him show his hand speed is back to par. His last week is very encouraging nonetheless, fewer K's, and alot of solid contact. He has just missed another 3-4 HR in the last week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Steelcurtain512 wrote:
Quote:

The pitchers did already adjust to his weakness by throwing him very few fastballs. Now he's hitting offspeed stuff and missing fastballs. They will shift back to heat and make him show his hand speed is back to par. His last week is very encouraging nonetheless, fewer K's, and alot of solid contact. He has just missed another 3-4 HR in the last week.

What would really make me feel better about Pedro would be seeing him take a few walks. He's had a mere 1 thus far. I imagine that opposing pitchers will be a bit more careful with him now that he's tied for 6th in the league in HRs, so I am hoping that he's able to recognize the junk and lay off of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 am 

I'm talking about pitching him outside. If they start burning fastballs on the outside corner at him while he stares until 0-2 every at bat again, we're right back to square one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:10 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Steelcurtain512 wrote:

Its hard to hit HRs on fastballs when pitchers aren't throwing fastballs. Frankly, I find it to be a great sign that he is hitting HRs on change-ups. The pitcher's job becomes much more difficult if he now faces a situtation where a hitter can hit off speed pitches. Barrys is dead on . . . Pedro should start seeing more fastballs and, hopefully, that will be a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm 

Just saying, I will be sold on a Pedro turn around/breakout the day I see him go up there and smash an outside fastball on the first/second pitch, instead of staring at it. He has to shake that identity.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm 

Agreed that Pedro's success in hitting offspeed is not cause for concern, particularly change-ups. The scouting report OBVIOUSLY indicated that he cannot hit change-ups. Specifically, he has seen change-ups on 22% of the the pitches dealt to him this season. Further, the frequency he has seen that pitch has gone from 12.6% in 2010, to 15.3% in 2011, to 22.3% this season so far.

For comparison, Cutch has seen a change-up 10% of the pitches seen this season and 9.9% for his career, Garrett Jones 9.5% this season and 11.2% career.

Why does he see the change-up in such increasing regularity? Because he was having more success against other pitches and trouble with the change. The fact that he is hitting it so successfully this year is therefore very good news.

So if pitchers want to throw Pedro more fastballs because of his recent success against the change-up, great news. No hitter in the major leagues could not hit a fastball that caught a good chunk of the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm 

Maybe it's me but it seems like people are just wanting this guy to fail...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm 

No way, we want him to succeed. And now he finally give us some hope again. I was grinning from ear to ear when he hit that second homer yesterday. Someday we are going to be good again. And it's going to feel so good.

It seemed to me that when he was going bad he would decide ahead of time if he was going to swing or not. So he looked at pictches down the middle and chased stuff out of the zone. Now he is reacting as it is coming at him, and actually making some solid contact and just missing lots of other times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:19 pm 

The double he hit late in Game 2 was exactly what he needs to do with pitches away. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:58 pm 

Truer words have not been written.

As it was on Tuesday night when the Buccos should have been looking to go opposite field against Moyer - ALL NIGHT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next