Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
RoxyChar wrote:
We're going to have to take our medicine this year. I still am somewhat optimistic (for being a Pirates fan) that we can be decent in 2014 but let's face it...this group is going to be terri-bad this year. It's unfortunate because you'd like to see us gradually build up each season and then become legit. Look at this lineup. It's professional sports...magic doesn't just happen. This lineup wouldn't be a very good AAA team as far as offensive output goes. Records are going to be broken...but not the good kind.


Roxy, I don't disagree with what you're saying but I think the pieces should start showing up now and producing. By 2014 other high end draft picks and possible overpayed slot players can start making their appearances. I hope by 2014 something great starts to happen on the field and in the standings with this organization and I'm not talking about finishing above .500. That needs to be happening now especially after early success last season.

Either way it's early in the season and anything can happen. They've faced some pretty dominate pitching and the pitching from Pittsburgh's side has been really good.

Bucfan, I'm don't put much stock into this team other than sharing a good time at the ball park. God, family, job, mortgage and other monthly payments still hold complete signifigance in my life over pirate baseball. Sorry if I sounded like the world was ending.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 673
PirateParrot wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
I feel your pain.

Trust me, batterup, Kerwin, 77, etc., watch the games for fun. They are not paying you to watch, and no Pittsburgh Pirate will be at home tonight, typing on a message board about upset he is regarding your terrible day at work.

If you don't enjoy how the game is going, change the channel. I start watching pretty much every game that I can, work permitting, and wind up turning off most of them.

I don't get upset about the Pirates. What good will it do? If my wife or kids' health depended on the score, or if my mortgage payment went down when the Pirates won, then fine.

Thank God it doesn't, and won't. So the Pirates lost again? So they get one hit, from the freaking pitcher?

Seriously, so what???

C'mon Bucfan...not you too??? Are you going to start telling people to go do some gardening too? Not one person here said they were comparing the Pirates peril to their family's health or to their mortgage, etc.

If you are a diehard fan then you invest like this in the team. And when they look like this it is frustrating...ESPECIALLY AFTER 19 YEARS!! These message boards are here for fans to vent, and that is all anyone above was doing. As someone who considers himself a diehard/fanatic I am completely disgusted with this start to the season. I do think it is a bit premature to jump off a cliff(or in this case give up on a certain third baseman...and I use that term loosely). I usually watch the game until the end, unless they put me to sleep :D . Anyway, no disrespect intended but if people want to watch games and then vent...why not. I certainly don't blame anyone for that with this team's performance so far...

And here's hoping Mr. Huntington puts on his creative thinking cap and figures a way to inject some offense into this organization. MLB level bleak and not a lot of "pop" on the way from below...


This is a great post. People come on here to vent about a baseball game. We're allowed to get pissed off about it. That's what sports is and that's why communities like this exist so that people have like minded people to celebrate and commiserate with. All natural and has been going in one form or another since the beginning of time.

I've never really understood the sports police who think that they have some ability or right to tell other people how to feel or how much they're allowed to care about a game or team. Live and let live. The argument that just because you get pissed for 20 minutes after a game means you somehow value that more than the important things in life is simplistic and patronizing...not to mention annoying. Enough.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 673
buccosfan77 wrote:
RoxyChar wrote:
We're going to have to take our medicine this year. I still am somewhat optimistic (for being a Pirates fan) that we can be decent in 2014 but let's face it...this group is going to be terri-bad this year. It's unfortunate because you'd like to see us gradually build up each season and then become legit. Look at this lineup. It's professional sports...magic doesn't just happen. This lineup wouldn't be a very good AAA team as far as offensive output goes. Records are going to be broken...but not the good kind.


Roxy, I don't disagree with what you're saying but I think the pieces should start showing up now and producing. By 2014 other high end draft picks and possible overpayed slot players can start making their appearances. I hope by 2014 something great starts to happen on the field and in the standings with this organization and I'm not talking about finishing above .500. That needs to be happening now especially after early success last season.

Either way it's early in the season and anything can happen. They've faced some pretty dominate pitching and the pitching from Pittsburgh's side has been really good.

Bucfan, I'm don't put much stock into this team other than sharing a good time at the ball park. God, family, job, mortgage and other monthly payments still hold complete signifigance in my life over pirate baseball. Sorry if I sounded like the world was ending.


I hope so but what pieces are there to show up now? Seriously take a look at that lineup that they are putting on the field. It would be really bad even if each hitter produced at their historical levels. There really isn't any help in the short term in the minors. This is what we have and it's ugly. But hey, I'm hoping for a miracle as much as anybody else. Only time will tell I guess, just have to hope for the best and brace for the worst lol.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10742
buccosfan77 wrote:
Bucfan, I'm don't put much stock into this team other than sharing a good time at the ball park. God, family, job, mortgage and other monthly payments still hold complete signifigance in my life over pirate baseball. Sorry if I sounded like the world was ending.

Okay.

I offered my analysis as someone who used to get too emotionally invested in how the Pittsburgh sports teams were doing. I recognize the symptoms.

It took some work for me to reach the point where I just don't really care how the Pirates are doing. Does that make me "not a fan"? I don't know, maybe. But I really don't care. It makes watching the Pirates a lot more enjoyable.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 1197
buccosfan77 wrote:
Steelcurtain512 wrote:
His rookie year and pedigree means he should be given every chance and then more chances and then more after that. We absolutely do not want to dump him (which is what I was alluding to, Bucco Boy) until it's without a shadow of a doubt, that he is a bust.


Hey Curtain,

How often do you think those tapes have been revisted by the coaching staff over the past season or so? Pedro first came up and tore the ball off the cover, especially in September, under a different coaching staff. Surely, Hurdle as a former and current hitting coach, as he will always be, can see what kind of adjustments pitchers have made to Pedro during that time and now.

When Hurdle first came over as the skipper I was really excited knowing that his pedigree was hitting. Lately I've been really impressed, last season and early into this season with Ray Searage.


They haven't really made adjustments. He can't hit ANYTHING. I don't call throwing strikes down the middle "adjustments".

I feel there's a lot of blame on Hurdle and his staff. Not just on Pedro, but on the whole team. From last year to this year, our offensive prospects don't look good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10742
RoxyChar wrote:
This is a great post. People come on here to vent about a baseball game. We're allowed to get pissed off about it. That's what sports is and that's why communities like this exist so that people have like minded people to celebrate and commiserate with. All natural and has been going in one form or another since the beginning of time.

Nothing I posted merited this comment.

You were "venting." Okay. But you did get worked up about the team.

What other hobbies or recreational activities do you engage in that make you angry? See my point?

RoxyChar wrote:
I've never really understood the sports police who think that they have some ability or right to tell other people how to feel or how much they're allowed to care about a game or team. Live and let live. The argument that just because you get pissed for 20 minutes after a game means you somehow value that more than the important things in life is simplistic and patronizing...not to mention annoying. Enough.

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. I did not suggest that you were barred from getting angry, or making harsh comments about the Pirates, or getting enraged about the Pirates or baseball.

I just suggested that the Pirates are not worth it and that you will get more enjoyment out of following the team if you do not get so worked up about their succes or more frequent failure.

No harm intended.

And keep getting worked up about the Pirates. You may have a lot of reason to do so this year and next, I fear.

(P.S. You don't appreciate being "told how to feel." Aren't you doing the same in your post? Think about it ... )


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Steelcurtain512 wrote:
I feel there's a lot of blame on Hurdle and his staff. Not just on Pedro, but on the whole team. From last year to this year, our offensive prospects don't look good.

Over at Bucs Dugout, there's a discussion on their latest podcast about when -- rather than if -- hitting coach Gregg Ritchie will be sacrificed.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 567
Bob in Boston wrote:
Steelcurtain512 wrote:
I feel there's a lot of blame on Hurdle and his staff. Not just on Pedro, but on the whole team. From last year to this year, our offensive prospects don't look good.

Over at Bucs Dugout, there's a discussion on their latest podcast about when -- rather than if -- hitting coach Gregg Ritchie will be sacrificed.


If you go another 2 weeks with more of your everyday lineup hitting below .200 than over it, you are going to have to do something. Heck we have multiple regular starters can't clear .100.

I've been really disappointed with the lack of improvement in batting under hurdle. That was suppose to be his thing. Instead we have a player that was suppose to be our best batting prospect in 25 years that can't even make contact and the managers handpicked shortstop batting sub .100.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 673
Bucfan wrote:
RoxyChar wrote:
This is a great post. People come on here to vent about a baseball game. We're allowed to get pissed off about it. That's what sports is and that's why communities like this exist so that people have like minded people to celebrate and commiserate with. All natural and has been going in one form or another since the beginning of time.

Nothing I posted merited this comment.

You were "venting." Okay. But you did get worked up about the team.

What other hobbies or recreational activities do you engage in that make you angry? See my point?

RoxyChar wrote:
I've never really understood the sports police who think that they have some ability or right to tell other people how to feel or how much they're allowed to care about a game or team. Live and let live. The argument that just because you get pissed for 20 minutes after a game means you somehow value that more than the important things in life is simplistic and patronizing...not to mention annoying. Enough.

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. I did not suggest that you were barred from getting angry, or making harsh comments about the Pirates, or getting enraged about the Pirates or baseball.

I just suggested that the Pirates are not worth it and that you will get more enjoyment out of following the team if you do not get so worked up about their succes or more frequent failure.

No harm intended.

And keep getting worked up about the Pirates. You may have a lot of reason to do so this year and next, I fear.

(P.S. You don't appreciate being "told how to feel." Aren't you doing the same in your post? Think about it ... )



Knock off the trolling. It's extremely unbecoming. The end.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 673
Bucfan wrote:
RoxyChar wrote:
This is a great post. People come on here to vent about a baseball game. We're allowed to get pissed off about it. That's what sports is and that's why communities like this exist so that people have like minded people to celebrate and commiserate with. All natural and has been going in one form or another since the beginning of time.

Nothing I posted merited this comment.

You were "venting." Okay. But you did get worked up about the team.

What other hobbies or recreational activities do you engage in that make you angry? See my point?

RoxyChar wrote:
I've never really understood the sports police who think that they have some ability or right to tell other people how to feel or how much they're allowed to care about a game or team. Live and let live. The argument that just because you get pissed for 20 minutes after a game means you somehow value that more than the important things in life is simplistic and patronizing...not to mention annoying. Enough.

Perhaps you should re-read what I posted. I did not suggest that you were barred from getting angry, or making harsh comments about the Pirates, or getting enraged about the Pirates or baseball.

I just suggested that the Pirates are not worth it and that you will get more enjoyment out of following the team if you do not get so worked up about their succes or more frequent failure.

No harm intended.

And keep getting worked up about the Pirates. You may have a lot of reason to do so this year and next, I fear.

(P.S. You don't appreciate being "told how to feel." Aren't you doing the same in your post? Think about it ... )


Buc, not interested in getting into a message board thing with you (lol message board geeks), but going to say my piece and not comment again. You are the absolute worst kind of coward. The worst kind (and deep down you know it). Think about how sad it is to give up on a team and yet still specifically make time to come on and tell other people that they shouldn't care. Would be hilarious if not so sad and quite frankly weak. Take some time (when you're not posting on a message board about a team you don't like anymore), to reevaluate your priorities. You make me laugh...and also make me sad. Step your game up champ. I will not waste anymore time on you. Good luck getting it sorted out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6240
Location: Keystone State
Talk about an overreaction to a statement.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 673
Couldn't agree more. Live and let live. The less we tell other people how to live and the more we discuss Buccos baseball the better off the board is.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6240
Location: Keystone State
RoxyChar wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Live and let live. The less we tell other people how to live and the more we discuss Buccos baseball the better off the board is.


I was talking about you

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: April 13, 2012 Pirates (2-4) at Giants (2-4)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10742
RoxyChar wrote:
Buc, not interested in getting into a message board thing with you (lol message board geeks).

Yet you do, so I guess you are? :D

RoxyChar wrote:
You are the absolute worst kind of coward. The worst kind (and deep down you know it).

What I wrote certainly deserved this vitriol. Why, I wrote ... well, that not investing so much emotion into the outcome of Pirates games is probably a good thing, particularly since the team is terrible. And further that I don't really care much about the score of the Pirates game.

Your comment was therefore very reasoned and measured.

My reply:



Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits