Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 12, 2012 Pirates (2-3) at Dodgers (5-1)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:23 pm 

A pitcher's life..... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 pm 

Smallest Dodger Stadium crowd at game time that I have ever seen. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Amazing that it's 3-0 Dodgers in the 1st and it feels like it's over. Yuck.

Last edited by IA Pirate on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 pm 

5 strikeouts through 2 innings already to a soft throwing left hander. Give me a break. Im going to bed. Good Night Ladies and Gentlemen!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 pm 

Dodgers announcers are just ripping our offense.

Pointed out we have not walked at all this series. And as of the first, 19 strikeouts. Of course, we've now struck out 5 times through 2 innings.

I saw a stat posted somewhere about our team K:BB ratio (offense, that is) in spring training, and it was something comical like 80-something to 5. Good to see that continue.

The whole "we have been facing Cy Young winners" only goes so far- we're facing Capuano tonight, and we've faced a handful of middling middle relievers thus far as well and not done much of anything with them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:06 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Seriously, I think the lineup had more production when it was blank. Wow.

Took me until the 4th inning to realize Barmes was hitting 6th. Wow.

Even if I looked at the roster from all 19 of our losing seasons, I'm not sure how many times Barmes would be the #6 hitter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 am 

BBF wrote:
Dodgers announcers are just ripping our offense.

Funny you should mention the Dodgers announcers. I've watched all three games via their feed so far and while I normally don't take the time to comment on announce crews for numerous reasons (tedious/pointless), I guess I might as well now.

I commented to someone during the first game that it was one of the most bizarrely bad announce jobs I had ever heard. For starters, I literally don't think I've ever heard a singular lovefest surrounding one player than the way they handled Kershaw. A lot of the literal praise was of course warranted, as he pitched a great game and was coming off the Cy Young season. But as the game progressed the praise began to get comical. When Kershaw picked off Correia at first like literally any pitcher would have in that situation, they went on a rant about how Kershaw has the best pick off move in the game. Later when Kershaw layed down a bunt, they ranted about how he is such a premier bunter that he basically plays catch with the ball with his bat. Elsewhere, just about every time McGehee was mentioned it was "ex-Brewer McGehee."

In the second game, they quickly went to work with hammering the Pirates offense, on numerous occasions pointing out that the red hot Kemp and Ethier have more RBIs themselves the Pirates team (and I know they mentioned it at least once more tonight, in the first before I muted it). The oddest things about all of the comments was that none of them ever had any contextual mentioning of that the season was 4 games young at that point. Never a "... of the young season" comments or what have you. One announcer also kept referring to the early season as "the spring" regarding how players were doing.

Tonight, I've had most of the game muted, but they struck again regarding the hit batters. Karstens earlier plunked Ethier to load the bases with one out. One announcer, while trying to tiptoe around it, basically pointed out that it was intentional and basically said hey, if you want to plunk someone to load the bases with how great this team is hitting, go ahead. Then later when Capuano retaliated on Tabata, the same announcer quickly pointed out that Tabata didn't bother to step out of the way so he doesn't have anything to complain about.

On paper having written that all out, I suppose it just sounds pretty pedestrian of how a lot of commentary would probably go when facing this current Pirates team with how they've performed, but it takes a lot for an announce crew to annoy me these days and these guys have certainly done it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 am 

+ 1

Watched the Kershaw game and just about barfed. Charley Steiner and Steve Lyons were disgusting. As I wrote in The Pub at the time, they almost literally had him babysitting his sister's kids, helping little old ladies across the street, treating the neighborhood to ice cream cones, adopting stray puppies, and volunteering down at the homeless shelter. Never thought I could be a Vin Scully fan, but that game turned me into one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 am 

I love watching Pedro Alvarez looking at strike after strike after strike after strike. The guy has no freaking clue at the plate right now. Absolutely f'ing pathetic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:33 am 

Pedro has had like two or three good at bats so far this season. And the rest have been horrible, like last year's. It's only three games in for him, so it's not too early to say, but I'm just shocked he's still doing the same things he did last year. How could he not have learned anything from that dreadful experience? Still taking strikes and then swinging at pitches way out of the zone. It makes no sense. If he can't hit the pitches, it be one thing. It's another thing when his approach is downright moronic. Why would any pitcher in the league be afraid of you when you take strike after strike, and then swing outside of the zone on 0-2 as often as he does?

I'm fully ready to put a lot of this on coaching at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm 

Steelcurtain512 wrote:
Pedro has had like two or three good at bats so far this season. And the rest have been horrible, like last year's. It's only three games in for him, so it's not too early to say, but I'm just shocked he's still doing the same things he did last year. How could he not have learned anything from that dreadful experience? Still taking strikes and then swinging at pitches way out of the zone. It makes no sense. If he can't hit the pitches, it be one thing. It's another thing when his approach is downright moronic. Why would any pitcher in the league be afraid of you when you take strike after strike, and then swing outside of the zone on 0-2 as often as he does?

I'm fully ready to put a lot of this on coaching at this point.

While I concur completely with the sharks analysis of the dodgers feed, one thing they pointed out that I found interesting was that the dodger pitchers got out in front 0-2 on pirate batters a full 33% of the time through the first two games. Assuming that they didn't just fabricate that, it sounds like the problem goes way beyond Pedro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm 

I completely disagree with the assessment that Alvarez hasn't looked much better than his 2011/continued into ST struggles. Last night was the only game thus far that looked that way from my perspective. Prior to last night I was actually starting to see significant signs of life for the first time since 2011 spring training from him.

In his first game, he looked about as good at the plate as I could ask if he's going to have a hitless game. Halladay was feeding him junk, like a lot of pitchers will start to do with him at this point, and he laid off and showed good plate discipline. He drew a BB in his first PA, but the umpire blew the call. He ended up squaring up a ball nicely that died at PNC.

In his second game, he hit the monster HR out of PNC.

In his third game, he squared up another nice flyout that I initially thought would clear Dodger Stadium, but it stayed in. Late in the game he had what looked like a nice hit but was robbed when the Dodgers 2B made a perfectly timed leaping grab.

You may read all this and think "I don't care, runs aren't being produced" but the reality is that very minor steps could lead to Alvarez production, i.e. actually making contact and elevating the ball and not striking out 40% of the time. Outside of last night in which Capuano was fooling just about everyone besides McCutchen, Alvarez had looked like he was on the verge of doing something. He showed patience, avoided pitcher's counts and elevated the ball rather than just grounding to first if he put a ball in play. He's not going to return to his rookie season form overnight, so what I have seen overall has been encouraging. We'll see if anything comes of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Did you guys hear about Pedro hitting a BP homer yesterday that left the stadium? They're saying he's only the 4th player to ever do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

VanSlick wrote:
Did you guys hear about Pedro hitting a BP homer yesterday that left the stadium? They're saying he's only the 4th player to ever do it.

Dude can crush a 70 MPH straight fastball like non other ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 pm 

IIRC, the Philadelphia Inquirer game story after his HR went to some pains to note that it came on a changeup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm 

He has 0 hits, 0 walks, 6 K's in the last two games. How can you look at anything positive from that?