Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 12, 2012 Pirates (2-3) at Dodgers (5-1)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm 

Steelcurtain512 wrote:
Pedro has had like two or three good at bats so far this season. And the rest have been horrible, like last year's. It's only three games in for him, so it's not too early to say, but I'm just shocked he's still doing the same things he did last year. How could he not have learned anything from that dreadful experience? Still taking strikes and then swinging at pitches way out of the zone. It makes no sense. If he can't hit the pitches, it be one thing. It's another thing when his approach is downright moronic. Why would any pitcher in the league be afraid of you when you take strike after strike, and then swing outside of the zone on 0-2 as often as he does?

I'm fully ready to put a lot of this on coaching at this point.

While I concur completely with the sharks analysis of the dodgers feed, one thing they pointed out that I found interesting was that the dodger pitchers got out in front 0-2 on pirate batters a full 33% of the time through the first two games. Assuming that they didn't just fabricate that, it sounds like the problem goes way beyond Pedro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:45 pm 

I completely disagree with the assessment that Alvarez hasn't looked much better than his 2011/continued into ST struggles. Last night was the only game thus far that looked that way from my perspective. Prior to last night I was actually starting to see significant signs of life for the first time since 2011 spring training from him.

In his first game, he looked about as good at the plate as I could ask if he's going to have a hitless game. Halladay was feeding him junk, like a lot of pitchers will start to do with him at this point, and he laid off and showed good plate discipline. He drew a BB in his first PA, but the umpire blew the call. He ended up squaring up a ball nicely that died at PNC.

In his second game, he hit the monster HR out of PNC.

In his third game, he squared up another nice flyout that I initially thought would clear Dodger Stadium, but it stayed in. Late in the game he had what looked like a nice hit but was robbed when the Dodgers 2B made a perfectly timed leaping grab.

You may read all this and think "I don't care, runs aren't being produced" but the reality is that very minor steps could lead to Alvarez production, i.e. actually making contact and elevating the ball and not striking out 40% of the time. Outside of last night in which Capuano was fooling just about everyone besides McCutchen, Alvarez had looked like he was on the verge of doing something. He showed patience, avoided pitcher's counts and elevated the ball rather than just grounding to first if he put a ball in play. He's not going to return to his rookie season form overnight, so what I have seen overall has been encouraging. We'll see if anything comes of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Did you guys hear about Pedro hitting a BP homer yesterday that left the stadium? They're saying he's only the 4th player to ever do it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

VanSlick wrote:
Did you guys hear about Pedro hitting a BP homer yesterday that left the stadium? They're saying he's only the 4th player to ever do it.

Dude can crush a 70 MPH straight fastball like non other ;)

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:00 pm 

IIRC, the Philadelphia Inquirer game story after his HR went to some pains to note that it came on a changeup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm 

He has 0 hits, 0 walks, 6 K's in the last two games. How can you look at anything positive from that?