Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Goat and Stars for 04/10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:00 pm 

Tough 2-1 loss...but some great pitching again. Let's get to it.

Star #3 Cruz...gave up a couple hits, but also got a couple strikeouts and kept the game tied, giving the Bucs a chance to win.

Star #2 Presley...continues to hit.. two more hits today. Scored the lone Pirate run.

Star #1. Correia...another great start by the Pirate pitcher. Correia went 6 innings...just one run, 4 hits, 2 BB. Pitched well enough to win.

LP: Grilli...got two nice outs, then gave up the losing HR, in his one inning of work. Gave him some consideration as my goat too, but decided againast it..

GOAT: Neil Walker. Struck out in 2nd with runner on 3rd and only one out. We needed contact there. Stranded Cutch at 3b in the 7th with what would have been the go ahead run.

Get 'em tomorrow Bucs!

SEASON TOTALS

Presley 5.5
Cruz 4.5
Karstens 3.0
Correia 3.0
ACutch 2.0
Hanrahan 2.0
Bedard 2.0
Hague 2.0
Barajas 1.0
McDonald 1.0
Barmes 0.5
Harrison 0.5
Watson0.5
Grilli 0.5
Alvarez 0.5
McGeehee 0.5
Meek 0.5
Grilli -1.0
Walker -1.0

Post subject: Re: Animal's Goat and Stars for 04/10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 pm 

Walker had a couple great defensive plays. He made a long running catch over the seats to grab a foul ball that Hague had lost in the sun, and also made a great diving stop to save a run in the same inning. Don't think he's at all deserving of a goat. My goat would be Grilli by default, but if you're going to give it to a hitter, I'd give it to someone who also didn't make great plays in the field.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:31 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Walker had a couple great defensive plays. He made a long running catch over the seats to grab a foul ball that Hague had lost in the sun, and also made a great diving stop to save a run in the same inning. Don't think he's at all deserving of a goat. My goat would be Grilli by default, but if you're going to give it to a hitter, I'd give it to someone who also didn't make great plays in the field.

Good argument. My daughter had a lacrosse game, so I did not get to listen to much of the game and did not hear any of those defensive plays.

Do others agree??

But the bottom line is, if Walker had come through in just ONE of those at bats, we would likely win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 pm 

TheShark wrote:

Definitley agree with this. Walker was great defensivly today, as we have come to expect really. Grilli should be the goat. As far as the stars its w/e really. Presley and Correia should both get stars, that 3rd spot can go to whoever lol. Cruz is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 am 

I don't know, guys. This team HAS to score those kind of runs. If there has to be a goat (I'm not real sure there was one), I think it's Walker. Grilli put the pitch exactly where Barajas asked for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am 

bradf wrote:
I don't know, guys. This team HAS to score those kind of runs. If there has to be a goat (I'm not real sure there was one), I think it's Walker. Grilli put the pitch exactly where Barajas asked for it.

That is my thoughts. I am sticking to my original selections. Thanks for everyone's input.

It's a tough goat to take, but he has to come through in at least ONE of those situations at the plate, especially with runner at third and only one out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 am 

I also missed the game yesterday for a Lacrosse match (my son played in Wheeling, WV). Driving home, we listened to 93.7 radio station out of Pittsburgh, and the host (Andrew Fillipponi) said that Clint Hurdle was the goat for not changing pitchers. He pointed out many, many times how he thought Tony Watson should have replaced Grilli to face Andre Ethier, because Ethier can't hit lefties. As I said, I missed the game so I won't comment either way. Just wanted to throw that out there for discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 am 

bradf wrote:

Well then blame both of them but that was an absolute mistake to get into Ethier's wheelhouse in that situation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 am 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
I also missed the game yesterday for a Lacrosse match (my son played in Wheeling, WV). Driving home, we listened to 93.7 radio station out of Pittsburgh, and the host (Andrew Fillipponi) said that Clint Hurdle was the goat for not changing pitchers. He pointed out many, many times how he thought Tony Watson should have replaced Grilli to face Andre Ethier, because Ethier can't hit lefties. As I said, I missed the game so I won't comment either way. Just wanted to throw that out there for discussion.

That doesn't surprise me. When he has a point to make, he'll keep making it for hours and hours, literally.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 am 

Strip off the label "goat" and change it to "failed to deliver when presented with the opportunity" and the answer is easily Neil Walker. His role is to be a team leader and a run producer. His AB with McGahee on third base was simply atrocious. The pitch that he missed on strike three was not as fat as the pitch that Hague whiffed on but it was not in a great location (elevated) and was begging to be smoked. Walker missed it by a foot with an awful looking swing. He and Hague both missed eminently hittable pitches in a key situation. Because I have higher expectations for Walker, I'd give him the designation of player "who failed to deliver when presented with opportunity" or . . . . "goat."

It would certainly be nice if Walker or Tabata could string together some hits. Their bats are solely needed. Also, one has to think that the leash on Garrett Jones has to be getting shorter and shorter. If Walker and Tabata aren't exactly tearing it up, McGahee's bat has to find its way into the lineup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 pm 

I agree with No. 9. Even though McGehee's triple yesterday was a gift (thanks, Matt Kemp!), he's been the only Pirate consistently squaring up the ball and hitting it hard. He needs to play.

If I'm Clint Hurdle, I start McGehee at first base today and Alvarez at third.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I agree with No. 9. Even though McGehee's triple yesterday was a gift (thanks, Matt Kemp!), he's been the only Pirate consistently squaring up the ball and hitting it hard. He needs to play.

If I'm Clint Hurdle, I start McGehee at first base today and Alvarez at third.

I hope this is what we see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:34 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Imany, many times how he thought Tony Watson should have replaced Grilli to face Andre Ethier, because Ethier can't hit lefties...

Yes, and Watson doesn't get them out, either.

I did not have a problem with the way Grilli was pitching. He had just smoked through the first 2 2/3 outs. He left one up a bit, but man was Grilli throwing yesterday.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:34 pm 

He was throwing well, both the fastball and the curveball. The home run ball wasn't up, it was down and in, and he had no business being anywhere near there. A walk would have been fine in that situation.