Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 10, 2012 Pirates (2-1) at Dodgers (3-1)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:27 pm 

I don't like taking the bat out of the hands of my best hitter. It;s gotta be a hit and run in the right count. JM2$W

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 pm 

Willton wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
With the way that McGehee is currently hitting, I would be less careful to McCutchen than I would be if Alvarez, Jones or Walker was behind McCutchen. In the latter scenarios, I wouldn't be giving McCutchen anything at all to hit and, if he didn't take the bait and walked, so be it.

So whether Presley stole 2nd or not would be inconsequential to the Dodgers? After all, if Presley did steal, he would be doing the Dodgers a favor, right?

From where do you reach that conclusion?
With Presley on first and Cutch at bat, the Dodgers have no choice but to pitch to McCutchen. My point is simple. How you approach McCutchen is wholly dependent upon who is next in the lineup. McGehee is swinging a decent bat so you a prudent manager/pitcher/catcher would be less likely to want to walk McCutchen in that situation than if some stiff at the bat was up next (i.e. the way Walker, Jones and Alvarez have been hitting).
If Presley steals second, the Dodgers now have a choice. Pitch to McCutchen or walk him intentionally. There is no doubt in any rational person's head that McCutchen is the Pirates' best hitter. And, yes, conventional wisdom says to not put the go ahead run on base but conventional wisdom also says to not let the other team's best hitter beat you. If my goal is to win the game, I'd be awfully tempted to take my chances with McGehee at the plate and two runners on base to set up a DP (McGehee is slow) and a force at 1B, 2B and 3B than to go right at McCutchen.
As I pointed out in my first post, I was hoping for the hit and run. Thus, I was hoping to see Presley put in motion. Overall, I liked the Pirates chances in that situation and, with McGehee at the plate following McCutchen, I would have been OK with it even if they had intentionally walked Cutch. I would not have been far less thrilled with the situation if an intentional walk would have been followed by Jones, Alvarez, Hague or maybe even Walker.

So . . .short answer - Presley stealing second would not have been inconsequential to the Dodgers. It would have forced a strategic decision and, once again, I would look at the entirety of the game situation before pursuing any specific strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don't like taking the bat out of the hands of my best hitter. It;s gotta be a hit and run in the right count. JM2$W

FWIW, had the hit and run been on for the second pitch (outside and elevated), it would have been a decent pitch for Cutch to hit to the right side.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 pm 

Willton wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I don't see how a successful stolen base could have hurt the Bucs there. My only reservation in sending Presley would be the chance of him getting caught.

No doubt, a caught stealing is a risk. However, Presley is an accomplished base stealer in his time in the majors (10-13 the past two seasons), the Dodgers' closer is a big guy who does not have a great move, and the Dodgers' catcher (A.J. Ellis) had thrown out just 27% of would-be base stealers in his career coming into this season.

That is why I see the question as, "If not now, when exactly?"