Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal's Heroes and Goats for Opening Day.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 pm 

You all thought I forgot, huh?? I know I am getting pretty forgetful at my old age!

My heroes and goats seemed pretty popular last year, so I will give it a go again.

Most every win, I will list three "Stars of the Game" and the winning pitcher. #3 star gets 1 point, #2 gets 2, and #1 gets 3. Winning pitcher gets a point. Pitcher with a save gets a half-point. The winning and saving pitcher can also get star points. Honorable Mention also gets a half-point.

Goats. For each loss, I will still name stars. The losing pitcher will lose a point. The day's goat will lose a point. The losing pitcher can also get goat points. I am adding a "baby goat" this year, if I feel a second player is a goat too. That will be 1 1/2 point.

Now, where you all come in. If you don't like my choices, debate them with me and perhaps I will change them. Sometimes, I will call on all of you to help me, if I did not see the game. Also, I am considering 1/4 points for holds and -1/4 for blown saves. Thoughts on that??

With all that said.....Heroes and Goats for opening day.

#3 star. Alex Presley. Not much to cheer about on opening day, but Presley did his thing and got the ball rolling off of Halladay in the first. Ended up being the only good hit of the day!

#2 star. Juan Cruz. Kept the Bucs in the game with a good 9th inning. Gave up a hit, but K'd 2. Looked real good!

#1 star Erik Bedard. Pitched a great game. Deserved a better fate. Went toe to toe with Halladay for 7 innings. just one run, which should have been prevented with a better thrown from Tababat (which is why he is not getting any star points for having the only other hit in the game..)

Losing pitcher: Bedard.

Goat: Andrew McCutchen. Bad game for out top player. DP in the first wiped out our only rally. Also K'd once in going 0-3. Also stranded a runner in addition to his DP.

Bedard 2
Cruz 2
Presley 1
ACutch -1

That's all for today.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Points for holds and blown saves?

Post subject: Re: Animal's Heroes and Goats for Opening Day.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:41 pm 

Animal wrote:
Comments?

Glad baseball is back, glad the 3 stars are back.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 am 

I think Pedro gets a honorable mention 1/4 point for that one at bat he had where he saw about 7 pitches. Even though it ended in an out it was a good at bat. That and he stopped that stupid practice swing after every pitch.

Can we give points to root sports. I really liked the new camera angle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:18 am 

+ 1 on the camera angle! I was always envious that the only time we got to see than angle was in Busch stadium. Now we get to see it all year!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:25 am 

Thanks for doing this again. I know it takes your time but is much appreciated.
To early to decide but it seems somehow wrong for Bedard to lose a point because the team lost the game. He certainly pitched well enough to win and can't be blamed for the loss but the formula calls for the losing pitcher to deduct a point. Again it's just one game but keep an eye on that part of it for fairness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:17 am 

ParrotLuv wrote:
+ 1 on the camera angle! I was always envious that the only time we got to see than angle was in Busch stadium. Now we get to see it all year!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
To early to decide but it seems somehow wrong for Bedard to lose a point because the team lost the game. He certainly pitched well enough to win and can't be blamed for the loss but the formula calls for the losing pitcher to deduct a point. Again it's just one game but keep an eye on that part of it for fairness.

No problem. I enjoy it. It makes me watch the games a little closer for the little things. It helps me reflect back on each game a litle more. I have fun with it.

Regrding Bedard..I actually thought about that, and was going to include it in the post. I am sure that sometime, he will earn a win he did not deserve. It's not a perfect system.

So what do you all think...give me your opinions. Should I continue to give a -1 for the pitcher who loses? Should I make an exception and not give it on a day when the pitcher "should have won"? Or should I do away with the -1 for losses altogether and just give the pitcher the goat if he deserves it.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:56 am 

Animal wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

No problem. I enjoy it. It makes me watch the games a little closer for the little things. It helps me reflect back on each game a litle more. I have fun with it.

Regrding Bedard..I actually thought about that, and was going to include it in the post. I am sure that sometime, he will earn a win he did not deserve. It's not a perfect system.

So what do you all think...give me your opinions. Should I continue to give a -1 for the pitcher who loses? Should I make an exception and not give it on a day when the pitcher "should have won"? Or should I do away with the -1 for losses altogether and just give the pitcher the goat if he deserves it.

Thoughts?

I don't think bedard should have lost a point either he pitched a real good game and if that throw to home was a little more on target the game would still be 0-0. If it were the case that he gave up a solo home run in a 1-0 game then yea he should lose points.

Let's just hope bedard isn't this years Maholm and gets zero run support every game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:58 am 

fordfan485 wrote:
Animal wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't think bedard should have lost a point either he pitched a real good game and if that throw to home was a little more on target the game would still be 0-0. If it were the case that he gave up a solo home run in a 1-0 game then yea he should lose points.

Let's just hope bedard isn't this years Maholm and gets zero run support every game.

He wasn't TOTALLY blameless. He did put the guy on base that ended up scoring.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 am 

Animal, love the rankings, but my advice, KISS, don't turn this into the Federal Tax Code, it leaves too much room for nitpicking with half points and quarter points and extra categories!

For your own sanity Dude! KISS :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:30 pm 

Animal wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Animal, maybe if you go by what constitutes a "quality start" (which I guess is also debatable)...but a commonly accepted opinion or agreed upon definition of a quality start....that might help ranking the Pirate starting pitchers.