Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: July 6, 2011 Astros (29-58) at Pirates (45-41)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Off the top of my head, series in which the Pirates took the first 2 but could not complete the sweep ...

Tigers, Cubs, Phillies, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, possibly Astros.

Two outta three ain't bad!

I will take that all year!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm 

Would have liked to have gotten 2 there, but there's still 3 chances left.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:53 pm 

Not complaining, just hadn't really thought about it before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am 

Since it's Turn Back the Clock to 2003 Day here on the UPPMB, I will attempt to do the spirit of No. 12 proud and submit a 5-point Game Report.

1. It wasn't the poor defense behind him in the 6th that was Morton's undoing, it was the fact that he started throwing grapefruits up to the plate. The first 2 times through the order, he was getting ahead in the count throwing breaking stuff at the knees. All of the hits in the 6th came on first or second pitches. That's why Hurdle left him in as long as he did; by the time Leroux had time to warm up, it was already 4-1.

2. If Michael Bourn doesn't run down Presley's screaming liner to LCF in the 7th, this is a VERY different ballgame. That was one hell of a catch; off the bat, I didn't think Bourn had a chance.

3. Norris pitched a heck of a game, but you got the feeling that the Bucs were *this* close to breaking through against him. Once the heat-throwing Houston relievers came in, though, the Bucs' hitters just couldn't adjust and the game was effectively out of reach.

4. Big difference I've noticed in the crowds from prior years: The drunk 20-somethings are actually paying attention to the games now. I'm taking this as a very good sign. I disagree with the sentiment that no one is really taking notice of the Pirates' resurgence. I can see that they are.

5. Spent the 1st half of the game being accosted by a 60-ish drunk named Harold, who is apparently a regular in Section 143 and is noted for bringing a glove to the game and hoarding BP home runs (16 in one pregame is his record, he bragged). All I kept thinking was, God, I hope this isn't me in 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
5. Spent the 1st half of the game being accosted by a 60-ish drunk named Harold, who is apparently a regular in Section 143 and is noted for bringing a glove to the game and hoarding BP home runs (16 in one pregame is his record, he bragged). All I kept thinking was, God, I hope this isn't me in 20 years.

Well, at least you have the comfort in knowing that is 20 years away. It is now just 10 away for me ... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 pm 

Judge Landis wrote:
Since it's Turn Back the Clock to 2003 Day here on the UPPMB, I will attempt to do the spirit of No. 12 proud and submit a 5-point Game Report.

1. It wasn't the poor defense behind him in the 6th that was Morton's undoing, it was the fact that he started throwing grapefruits up to the plate. The first 2 times through the order, he was getting ahead in the count throwing breaking stuff at the knees. All of the hits in the 6th came on first or second pitches. That's why Hurdle left him in as long as he did; by the time Leroux had time to warm up, it was already 4-1.

2. If Michael Bourn doesn't run down Presley's screaming liner to LCF in the 7th, this is a VERY different ballgame. That was one hell of a catch; off the bat, I didn't think Bourn had a chance.

3. Norris pitched a heck of a game, but you got the feeling that the Bucs were *this* close to breaking through against him. Once the heat-throwing Houston relievers came in, though, the Bucs' hitters just couldn't adjust and the game was effectively out of reach.

4. Big difference I've noticed in the crowds from prior years: The drunk 20-somethings are actually paying attention to the games now. I'm taking this as a very good sign. I disagree with the sentiment that no one is really taking notice of the Pirates' resurgence. I can see that they are.

Judge. Great report and great to have you back! We will have train you a little bit with the new board. Could you post this report as a new post? That way we can eventually move it to the our archives where it is more readily available.

Thanks.

BB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
We will have train you a little bit with the new board. Could you post this report as a new post?

Check.