Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 5, 2010 Cubs (13-14) vs Pirates (11-15)
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Is Dotel trying to lose his job?

I didn't put too much value into his performance thus far due to the limited playing time and bloated ERA from the blowouts, but hitting the second batter he faces tonight, after I believe getting ahead 0-2?

I don't think Dotel was exacting revenge, but Doumit was hit by Zambrano in the bottom of the 8th. Given that the Pirates had just a 2-run lead, I seriously doubt that Dotel was looking to even the HBP column, but given the frequency with which Cubs pitchers seem to hit Pirates batters, I really had very little problem with it.

And Dotel threw pretty well tonight. He struggled with control last night, but I suspect that was due to his inactivity. He had appeared in just 3 games in the 15 days between April 19 and May 4, before last night's game.

His improvement from yesterday to today was noteworthy. Pirates need to have a lead in the 9th inning in enough games to keep him busy.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I really had very little problem with it.

I wouldn't have either, if it wasn't for Dotel's inconstancy and the fact that he's given up the long ball a couple of times in his limited action so far, and Soriano and Aramis were waiting on deck.

I agree that the limited playing time due to the lack of opportunities hasn't helped, but just one more 1-2-3 inning would be nice. I do like that he is consistently striking guys out, but in cases like tonight and last night, I have to wonder how much control he still has when throwing the heat. Not giving up on him, just slightly concerned.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:03 pm 

Bucfan, Dotel went 3-0 on the first batter he faced (Lee) and then hit the second batter. Lee helped by fouling off two ball fours as well. It could have easily been runners on 1st and 2b with no outs. He did make Aram look foolish for the third out though.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:25 pm 

There are positives: Dotel is racking up the Ks, and as mentioned before, he's had an uncanny ability to get out of jams after the mistakes happen.

The problem is that the mistakes are becoming a ritual, and with the Ks are coming unnecessary wild control.

I'm not giving up on him, but one thing's for sure, if we get a bad outing within the next few games, you can throw the "not enough experience" excuse out the window.