Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 22, 2010 Brewers (7-7) at Pirates (7-7)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:02 pm 

i agree this season is about players progressing, but this series was embarrasing, what was the combined score? 38-3 or something like that. I know they are bad, but have some self respect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
This isn't unexpected.

Uhhhhm ... I hope to heaven that 20-0 will ALWAYS be unexpected for a professional baseball team.

Or a college team.

Or a high school team.

Or a Pony League team.

Or a Little League team.

Or even a tee-ball team, pending the bottom of the first.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
This isn't unexpected.

Uhhhhm ... I hope to heaven that 20-0 will ALWAYS be unexpected for a professional baseball team.

Or a college team.

Or a high school team.

Or a Pony League team.

Or a Little League team.

Hell, when was the last time the Steelers were shut out that bad?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Hell, when was the last time the Steelers were shut out that bad?

The last time the Steelers lost by more than 20 points was December 9, 2007 when they lost to the Patsies, 34-13. That was the Patsy team that went 18-1. The game was in New England. Polamalu and Aaron Smith did not play for the Steelers. The Steelers' feature running back for that game was Najeh Davenport.

The last time the Steelers were shut out and lost by more than 20 was November 26, 2006, when they lost to the Ravens, 27-0.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 pm 

God do I hate the Brewers. Outside of Duke (not his most recent start for sure) and Dotel (when he's actually needed) we currently have absolutely NO MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHERS. And you can actually see the confidence draining from the team. I hate to think I might not go on my annual week long Pirates road trip...but if they don't start competing soon...I'll be damned if I going to buy tickets to watch them get waxed live for 6 straight days. These guys are making me sick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 pm 

"This was humiliating on many different levels. However, keep in context what is going on here. This isn't unexpected.

This team is not very good and will not be very good in 2010. The team is only 1 game under .500. Again, I treat this like our minor league affiliates. I don't really care what the final score is. I care about how individuals perform. So, in the bigger sense. The season has been disappointing because of the ineffectiveness of the starting pitching, Ryan Doumit, Jeff Clement, Garrett Jones and many others. But don't look at the wins and losses or it will drive you crazy."

Wins and losses are what it's all about.

Only on this board could someone put a happy face on this debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 am 

bucco boy wrote:
This was humiliating on many different levels. However, keep in context what is going on here. This isn't unexpected.

This team is not very good and will not be very good in 2010. The team is only 1 game under .500. Again, I treat this like our minor league affiliates. I don't really care what the final score is. I care about how individuals perform. So, in the bigger sense. The season has been disappointing because of the ineffectiveness of the starting pitching, Ryan Doumit, Jeff Clement, Garrett Jones and many others. But don't look at the wins and losses or it will drive you crazy.

I don't care about wins and losses, but I certainly do care about being outscored 35-1...

Bucfan wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
This isn't unexpected.

Or a college team.

Or a high school team.

Or a Pony League team.

Or a Little League team.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:31 am 

Steve1118 wrote:

No. Wins and losses are not what it is all about RIGHT NOW. That's why you remain ignorant to what the Pirates are doing and continue your yinzer attitude. Not surprising you weren't anywhere near this board when they were 7-5 and then come out of the wood works when they do play poorly. But everyone on this board expects that from you. When they are winning, I am sure you will crawl back into your hole.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

No. Wins and losses are not what it is all about RIGHT NOW. That's why you remain ignorant to what the Pirates are doing and continue your yinzer attitude. Not surprising you weren't anywhere near this board when they were 7-5 and then come out of the wood works when they do play poorly. But everyone on this board expects that from you. When they are winning, I am sure you will crawl back into your hole.

You are the one who is wrong. Winning is the most important thing for a professional baseball team. While I understand the Pirates are in ANOTHER rebuilding plan, it is not looking to good for them. This rebuilding plan could certainly fail, and it is no help to see the current MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM losing games by 20.

The organization is the laughingstock of sports, and one of the worst of all time. The fans deserve better, but likely will not get better with the current cheapskates running the team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:46 pm 

I must agree on the laughingstock matter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm 

Ryann wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Steve1118 wrote:

You are the one who is wrong. Winning is the most important thing for a professional baseball team. While I understand the Pirates are in ANOTHER rebuilding plan, it is not looking to good for them. This rebuilding plan could certainly fail, and it is no help to see the current MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM losing games by 20.

The organization is the laughingstock of sports, and one of the worst of all time. The fans deserve better, but likely will not get better with the current cheapskates running the team.

Show me where I said winning is not important. But right now you cannot judge the franchise on winning at the major league level because that's not where the rebuilding plan is at this point. Again, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 pm 

While their losing streak says they are a laughing stock, I just wonder how many people have ever heard of the LA Clippers? While they have had a winning record in the past 15 years, it was an all or nothing type thing and went back to their losing ways soon after...Hell, they made the playoffs one year with a losing record.

That team has been a joke, and while the sports losing crown is on the Pirates right now, its far from truth, especially since Littlefield and McClatchy have left the scene...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:33 pm 

There is truth in both positions. Most of us realize that we are not a very good team right now and expect to lose more than we win. Most of us agree that rebuilding from the ground up is the only reasonable approach the overcome this mess. I think most of us again think that management has been on the right track for two years. Baseball teams unlike most other sports teams cannot be improved to a winning point without time and growth of prospects. So from that perspective, yes we know loses are still to come.

To set all time team records that are the worst in 124 years is not the same thing. It's just not. This past series was just aweful and beyond what any fan should accept. If you think that's ok for now, you're just wrong. No team or group of fans can support that kind of play. My goodness it is truly embarrassing for all of us. I can certainly understand the disappointment with the team, I share the feelings expressed.

I'm not sure I or any of us can be that patient. Things must improve or serious changes have to take place. And it may be unfair but the coaching staff JR, Long, Beasley, and yes Kerrigan must shoulder the blame. It is after all on their watch.
----thoughts guys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:24 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
There is truth in both positions. Most of us realize that we are not a very good team right now and expect to lose more than we win. Most of us agree that rebuilding from the ground up is the only reasonable approach the overcome this mess. I think most of us again think that management has been on the right track for two years. Baseball teams unlike most other sports teams cannot be improved to a winning point without time and growth of prospects. So from that perspective, yes we know loses are still to come.

To set all time team records that are the worst in 124 years is not the same thing. It's just not. This past series was just aweful and beyond what any fan should accept. If you think that's ok for now, you're just wrong. No team or group of fans can support that kind of play. My goodness it is truly embarrassing for all of us. I can certainly understand the disappointment with the team, I share the feelings expressed.

I'm not sure I or any of us can be that patient. Things must improve or serious changes have to take place. And it may be unfair but the coaching staff JR, Long, Beasley, and yes Kerrigan must shoulder the blame. It is after all on their watch.
----thoughts guys

I'm a bit frustrated with the empty rhetoric being thrown around. A lot of fans are banging on the table, demanding "wholesale changes" and "accountability" and "shake-ups" in order to "send a message," but what does that mean? Does it mean sending everyone on the team down to the minors, and bringing everyone in the minors up? That would be a stupid panic move on two levels...

1. A lot of the guys in AAA are no better than what we have now, which would lead to a lot more series like the one we just saw.

2. The guys in AAA who are actually major league caliber (Alvarez, Tabata, etc.) would be rushed up and have too much asked of them too soon.

This loss changes nothing. Most of the talent is in A and AA right now, and it's going to take some time to work itself through the system. In the meantime, we have a shitty team that will slowly get better. We all knew this.

Also, can we please, PLEASE stop throwing around the word "embarrassed?" To borrow a sentiment expressed by Sisyphus, if you feel personally embarrassed that your professional sports team suffered a very bad defeat, I suggest you seek therapy. It's just baseball.