Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: April 9, 2010 Pirates (2-1) at Diamondbacks (2-1)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:34 am 
 WWW  Profile

bassoondirector wrote:
I hope I won't have to start up the STBHOF again this season Shark. That will really be depressing! :?

You can start engraving Lopez as the inaugural member of the 2010 team...

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:48 am 

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

Man, all Delwyn Young does is hit.

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:06 am 

This game was hard to watch.

It's true what everyone says about Morton: he has great stuff. Unfortunately, though, I don't think he is even close to mastering the mental aspect to pitching. He goes to the well way too often and forgets to mix other pitches in to keep hitters honest. A perfect example is how nasty his changeup was tonight and then all of a sudden he just went away from it but continued to throw a ton of curveballs that he couldn't hit the plate with to save his life (see the wild pitch column).

I really hope he can figure this out with Kerrigan.

As for Doumit, I felt the same way when I saw him pop the ball up twice in a row with runners on base. He needs to take a better approach at the plate than that. This team isn't going to win many ballgames with plate appearances like that.

There really is no good news from the game tonight. Milledge looked good when I saw him. Other than that I'm just not finding any positives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:48 am 

NDL wrote:
This game was hard to watch.

It's true what everyone says about Morton: he has great stuff. Unfortunately, though, I don't think he is even close to mastering the mental aspect to pitching. ... As for Doumit, I felt the same way when I saw him pop the ball up twice in a row with runners on base. He needs to take a better approach at the plate than that.

Discussed both points on the pub forum and fans had basically unanimous agreement with these points.

In fact, I expressed exactly these points, in the same fashion. I noted in the Pub that the Braves traded Morton because they believed he just did not have the mental toughness to be a successful pitcher. They believed that he would not be able to remain focused, confident and work out of trouble. When he gets in trouble, he loses command, cannot make that one pitch to to close out the inning, and a 2-run inning becomes a 5-run inning.

And regarding Doumit - his defense sucks. It is simply horrible. He does not block balls well at all, is constantly jabbing at pitches, and seems to move his lower body when catching pitches just a bit off the strike zone (thereby guaranteeing that the pitch is called a ball). He seemed to have a pretty good arm two years ago, but I have not seen that in quite a while. His hitting is the only thing keeping him on the field, and if he is struggling with the bat, he is a huge negative.

The Pirates knew this last year, and drafted Sanchez. They realized that C was a position where help was needed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:01 am 

Note to self: Consider not starting Charlie Morton next outing in your Fantasy Baseball League...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:22 am 

Nomitts (thanks Bucfan) inability to stop any sort of offspeed pitch down in the dirt limits the pitchers ability to go for the 1-2 or 0-2 "bad" pitch well down or outside of the strike zone with runners on base. As I mentioned last night in The Pub, he may need to hit 30 home runs just to break even on his give aways.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:40 am 

Don't hold your breath Silver. "Donuts" isn't a good hitter. Between that and him not being able to catch the ball, I'll take Tony Sanchez right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:46 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Man, all Delwyn Young does is hit.

If he could field a position decently, he'd be a stud...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:48 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Note to self: Consider not starting Charlie Morton next outing in your Fantasy Baseball League...

Yeah, he killed me lastnight...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Don't hold your breath Silver. "Donuts" isn't a good hitter. Between that and him not being able to catch the ball, I'll take Tony Sanchez right now.

Sadly, given his age (29) and health issues, his tradeability is severely hampered. Ideally he stays healthy and posts good number from here through the July 31st trade deadline. Maybe Clement moves behind the plate as a stop gap for Sanchez, Jones to first, and Young/Church/Tabata to RF?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 am 

Argentum wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Sadly, given his age (29) and health issues, his tradeability is severely hampered. Ideally he stays healthy and posts good number from here through the July 31st trade deadline. Maybe Clement moves behind the plate as a stop gap for Sanchez, Jones to first, and Young/Church/Tabata to RF?

I actually think, when healthy and playing regularly, Doumit is a good hitter...Is he going to hit 30 HR's? No, but he can hit for a good average, has pop in his bat (15 HR's + 30 Doubles), and can't field...
He has value, but I see it more in the American League where he could DH, and that would help reduce the injury factor by taking him off the field half the game...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 am 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
Argentum wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I actually think, when healthy and playing regularly, Doumit is a good hitter...Is he going to hit 30 HR's? No, but he can hit for a good average, has pop in his bat (15 HR's + 30 Doubles), and can't field...
He has value, but I see it more in the American League where he could DH, and that would help reduce the injury factor by taking him off the field half the game...

A catcher that can't field is a non-starter, period. Even if he has 30+ HRs and a high game calling up side. If we are sold on him being "Nomitts" (I turned the game off after the grand slam... felt horrible for Charlie), then as far as I'm concerned, JJ starts til Sanchez is ready.