Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 8.21.09 Reds @ Pirates
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 am 

Observations:

(1) Garrett Jones is one strong dude. He absolutely crushed a fastball on the inner half. I very much like the fact that he feasts on fastballs on the inner half - most hitters nowadays struggle with that pitch.

(2) Morton received absolutely no help from the home plate umpire. He did not have one pitch - not one - that was "borderline" called a strike. He worked for every strike, every out. The called strikes were unanimously all over the strike zone. No pitches that nipped a corner were called strikes.

(3) Young needs to work on his defense at second. He is getting better but on the Owings single and a ground ball up the middle, he was not in good position and cost the Pirates an out and a base, respectively.

(4) Cedeno is a very good fielding SS. Seriously good. He made tough plays look very easy. If he could hit a bit, he would be a genuine contender to play SS full time for some team.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 am 

Bucfan...I missed part of the game but I thought Young's defense was quite good the last few innings (which is all I saw). I also think in general he looks much more fluid and has a better sense of what to do around the bag. When I first saw him play 2nd my reaction was that he had no chance of playing there. Now he looks to me like he has potential to be good enough to play there, especially with a plus bat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 am 

bradf wrote:
Bucfan...I missed part of the game but I thought Young's defense was quite good the last few innings (which is all I saw).

In the 3rd inning, on a chopper towards the middle by the Reds pitcher, Young slipped, delayed getting the ball to first, and turned what should have been a routine ground ball out into a single by Owings.

In the 5th (??), with runners at first and second and nobody out, a Reds batter hit a ground ball up the middle. Cedeno cruises over and picks up the ball easily. Young fell down or dove, for some reason, and was not covering second. Cedeno had to go to first for the out. He would have had the runner at second easily.

The play resulted in an out, and no error, but it should have been first and third, one out, rather than second and third, one out. The difference is significant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:56 am 

Bucfan wrote:
bradf wrote:
Bucfan...I missed part of the game but I thought Young's defense was quite good the last few innings (which is all I saw).

In the 3rd inning, on a chopper towards the middle by the Reds pitcher, Young slipped, delayed getting the ball to first, and turned what should have been a routine ground ball out into a single by Owings.

In the 5th (??), with runners at first and second and nobody out, a Reds batter hit a ground ball up the middle. Cedeno cruises over and picks up the ball easily. Young fell down or dove, for some reason, and was not covering second. Cedeno had to go to first for the out. He would have had the runner at second easily.

The play resulted in an out, and no error, but it should have been first and third, one out, rather than second and third, one out. The difference is significant.

I missed all of the game tonight besides the 9th inning and i will tell you the fielding in the 9th inning scared me alot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:14 am 

I think where DY continues to improve for the most part is his fielding instincts. Aside from the aforementioned ball up the middle...he had sufficient jumps on several balls last night that he'd have never made a play on 3 months ago. His turn at 2B is getting a little better...but hell...we're used to watching Freddy...that's a lot to live up to. I would like to see a little more accuracy on his throws, but as long as Garrett and Steven are picking the short hops...we're good. You can see his confidence growing and that'll only help him even more at the plate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 am 

I missed the game live because I went out to watch the Sox/Yankees debacle. If we win the NL in the next 5 years, we better have seriously good pitching because the Yanks line up is unbelievable.

That being said, I enjoyed the Bucs game. Morton looked really good. I agree w/ BucFan about DY and the strike zone. Jones is amazingly strong. I thought it was good that Milledge hit his 2nd HR and Doumit tagged two balls. Hopefully those are good signs.

Thirty years later I still would not mess with Ed Ott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am 

One other thought before I begin my day, I love these uniforms. I think we need to bring them back at least as an alternate. Milledge looked especially good with his shoes too :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:48 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I dislike softball uni's... then and now...

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Observations:

(1) Garrett Jones is one strong dude. He absolutely crushed a fastball on the inner half. I very much like the fact that he feasts on fastballs on the inner half - most hitters nowadays struggle with that pitch.

(2) Morton received absolutely no help from the home plate umpire. He did not have one pitch - not one - that was "borderline" called a strike. He worked for every strike, every out. The called strikes were unanimously all over the strike zone. No pitches that nipped a corner were called strikes.

(3) Young needs to work on his defense at second. He is getting better but on the Owings single and a ground ball up the middle, he was not in good position and cost the Pirates an out and a base, respectively.

(4) Cedeno is a very good fielding SS. Seriously good. He made tough plays look very easy. If he could hit a bit, he would be a genuine contender to play SS full time for some team.

1. Jones may last a little longer than I originally thought. At the end of the season it will still be just about half a season of work from him, but at this pace he is showing more than enough to challenge for a starting spot next year.

2. You need to get over the strike zone thing. Umpires are not good with balls and strikes anymore. Period. And actually on two occasions Blass mentioned Morton getting a call on the outside corner. It drew looks from both of the Reds batters. I thought, as usual, he was inconsistent for both pitchers.

3. Young is definitely a work in progress. His throws sometimes stray a bit, his jumps aren't always good, and he doesn't always make the right read(like covering the base). However, he is obviously busting his butt before games with Hill and puts forth max effort during games. With that attitude he will get competent, I think, playing second base.

4. At this point, his ninth inning error aside, I see no reason why Cedeno shouldn't be our SS going forward until someone in the system steps up and proves they are the future SS. He is definitely as good in the field as Jack Wilson was, and better at the plate because of his pop in the bat. And most wanted Wilson to play SS forever for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:28 pm 

Jones has to be in the mix. He is our only power option unless Doumit steps it up.

Doumit looks like he is getting out of his funk. He just happened to hit the ball at'em last night. Let's hope.

Young has made great strides at 2b. He scared me to death earlier in the year, but showed some range and guts last night. Buck will not be happy in LA.

Nice to see Morton bounce back after his previous horrendous start. Our starting pitching is solid maybe even top tier. We need a lefty or two in the bullpen.. Perhaps Veal can develop and maybe we can just sign Grabow back in the off season. That would not surprise me. Bullpen must be upgraded.

I do not believe Pearce is our 1b. Put Jones there and find another starting OF somewhere. Anywhere.

I think Capps is getting a smart pill somewhere. He has thrown more offspeed pitches in his last two outings. Is future success will be predicated in mixing up his pitches. He cannot afford to throw more than 2 of those straight as an arrow fastballs. He gets killed if he does. I also think J. Chavez can be a closer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:41 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
2. You need to get over the strike zone thing. Umpires are not good with balls and strikes anymore. Period.

I don't think that I need to "get over" the incompetence of umpires in calling balls and strikes. And the simple fact of the matter is this: for borderline calls, Pirate pitchers get very few calls, and Pirate batters have strikes called well above league average.

I was told that I was wrong in terms of the fact that the strike zone differed for Pirates pitchers and hitters in the same game, and the fact that the Pirates received no help from the umpires. Then, one poster linked the web site supporting what I had opined. Pirate pitchers rank near the bottom of the league in terms of getting borderline pitches called a strike, and Pirate hitters have borderling pitches called a strike on them among the most frequently in the league.

So I guess we should just say, "Oh well." After all, the difference between 0-1 and 1-0, and 1-2 and 2-1, is really nothing. These calls will not wind up having an effect on at-bats and the game.

Wait ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:42 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I do not believe Pearce is our 1b. Put Jones there and find another starting OF somewhere. Anywhere.

I dont mind the platoon that seems to be going on with Jones between 1st and RF with Pearce and Moss taking turns...though I wish there was someone to replace Moss in that equation, hopefully it's Clement...Though R. Diaz is seeing a lot of time at other positions, including 1st base...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...