Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: July 31, 2009 Nationals (32-70) at Pirates (43-58)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 pm 

Can someone explain to me why Matt Capps is throwing a 0-2 fastball right over the plate? Isn't it easy to throw a pitch out of the strike zone? It dumbfounds me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 pm 

Capps threw really, really well for the first 2 outs, and then up to strike 2 on Gonzalez. Doumit then set up on the inside corner, and as he seems to do every time when trying to hit the inside corner on the lefty, Capps left it over the heart of the plate. Base hit on an 0-2 count.

It is time for the Pirates to realize that Capps just cannot hit the inside corner against left-handed hitters. He does very, very well on the inside corner vs. righties, but he has been burned so many times on that pitch vs. lefties, that as soon as I see Capps on the hill, and Doumit set up on the inside corner against a left-handed batter, I cringe.

Post subject: Re: Game Thread- 7/31
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:18 am 

BBF wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
I'm tempted ...

If you are a PNC customer, its 50% off with your bank card. I got two seats, front row, second deck, directly behind the plate, for a total of $16. Plus, its dollar dog night...and a floppy hat :roll: .

Go. that's redicolously cheap. You can't sniff Fenway for under $75 per seat and this team needs the support.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:50 pm 

I swear i am bad luck. I just returned from a trip to Buffalo and i find out we won again while i didn't watch. I think i have missed about 10 Tv games this year and we must have won 9 out of the 10.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:14 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I swear i am bad luck. I just returned from a trip to Buffalo and i find out we won again while i didn't watch. I think i have missed about 10 Tv games this year and we must have won 9 out of the 10.

For God's sake, STOP WATCHING!!

You are hereby ordered to go to estrago's house during Pirates games. We know estrago will not be watching ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I get a little tired with the "we will make mistakes because we are young routine". These are pro baseball players we are talking about. They are getting paid for their skill at playin the game. Most have been playing since they were 6 years old. MLB is not the place to learn basic fundamentals. If you haven't learned how to play by the time you are finished with high school or college then you should learn in the minors before you get to the bigs.

I totally get adjusting to the quality of MLB hitters or batters but using youth as an excuse for poor fundamentals or lack of hustle is inexcusable IMO.

Nevertheless, young players do make mistakes that veteran players do not make, and that's how it's gone in professional baseball since Henry Chadwick was keeping score. The same thing happens in every other professional sport I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:10 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:
I get a little tired with the "we will make mistakes because we are young routine". These are pro baseball players we are talking about. They are getting paid for their skill at playin the game. Most have been playing since they were 6 years old. MLB is not the place to learn basic fundamentals. If you haven't learned how to play by the time you are finished with high school or college then you should learn in the minors before you get to the bigs.

I totally get adjusting to the quality of MLB hitters or batters but using youth as an excuse for poor fundamentals or lack of hustle is inexcusable IMO.

Nevertheless, young players do make mistakes that veteran players do not make, and that's how it's gone in professional baseball since Henry Chadwick was keeping score. The same thing happens in every other professional sport I've ever seen.

Someone posted a comment not long ago that we better get used to it, because the Pirates will ALWAYS be a young team. The goal of this current building plan calls for a steady influx of youngsters to replace aging and/or nonproductive players. What you have to hope for is that:

1. The player development staff is successful insofar as to reduce the number of mistakes players are making upon arriving to the big leagues, and

2. The overall talent level is high enough that you can overcome the mistakes that are made.