Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: July 2, 2009 Mets (38-39) at Pirates (36-42)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:22 pm 

Tight strike zone today. Vasquez should've struck out and he was squeezing Maholm pretty good in the 1st inning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:26 pm 

You have to be kidding me...Keith Hernandez for the Mets' broadcast just was talking about some dude at the airport yesterday who had a pet beaver and discussed in detail how the guy was stroking it. This was followed by a deafening silence on the part of the play-by-play guy.

Two possibilties:

1. Keith Hernandez has no clue as to the slang he was using. This is likelier.

2. He knew and just didn't give a crap, saying in his head, "I'm KEITH HERNANDEZ," like from the Seinfeld episode. As unlikely as it is, I choose to believe this one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 pm 

Just got here and we're kick'en....

2 runs in after hitting Andrew and now Wilson (batting 2) pops out in left field and run scores and runner moves to third. Diaz tagged -- good aggressive baserunning sounds like. Anyone see it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:30 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I like bunting Wilson in an effort to jump out to an early lead.

Yeah. Worked really well.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm 

Bad baserunning by Vasquez. He looked out at 3rd and should've been 3rd out. Good move running on Tatis though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:32 pm 

Reminds me of Johnnie Carson when he had Rachel welsh as a guest. She had just brought her cat with her and sat down with it on her lap. She asked Johnie if he wanted to pet her little pussy, (drum roll here) and naturally he said yes, if you just move that damn cat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 pm 

Garrett Jones with a double and a triple.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 pm 

How about Jones 2 for 2 with a double and a RBI. Great start after neriousness last night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:42 pm 

Willton wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Garrett Jones, off the schneid with a no out double in the second. Will A. Laroche be bunting?

I'm sure No. 9 hopes so.

Yeah, because LaRoche is so adept at doing so. Let's completely ignore WHO is at-bat when making strategic decisions. Sorry, I don't look at matters through a vaccuum. Never have, never will.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Bad baserunning by Vasquez. He looked out at 3rd and should've been 3rd out. Good move running on Tatis though.

His foot beat the tag. Paused it on MLB.TV and it was a good call by the ump. I disagree with you about the conclusion of bad baserunning. Tatis' throw was very high and Wright had to climb the ladder to catch it and try to make a diving tag at third. By running, Vasquez forced Wright to make a decision and, if cut off, it guaranteed another run - even if there was a third out. I actually thought that it was pretty heads-up baserunning on his part. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:49 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Garrett Jones, off the schneid with a no out double in the second. Will A. Laroche be bunting?

I'm sure No. 9 hopes so.

Yeah, because LaRoche is so adept at doing so. Let's completely ignore WHO is at-bat when making strategic decisions. Sorry, I don't look at matters through a vaccuum. Never have, never will.

Jack isn't good either. Career 67% success on sacrifices, well below league average.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 pm 

Quote:
His foot beat the tag. Paused it on MLB.TV and it was a good call by the ump. I disagree with you about the conclusion of bad baserunning. Tatis' throw was very high and Wright had to climb the ladder to catch it and try to make a diving tag at third. By running, Vasquez forced Wright to make a decision and, if cut off, it guaranteed another run - even if there was a third out. I actually thought that it was pretty heads-up baserunning on his part. Just my opinion though.

Disagree. (respectfully of course) Go back and watch again if you can. Wright swipes his knee before the foot gets there. It is possible he may have missed, but it looks like he grazed him. Never go to 3rd with 2 outs if it is gonna be close, and that was way too close. I take my chances that Diaz would score and not risk the out. Sometimes you come out smelling like a rose even when making a bad play. Like Freddy scoring from 2nd on the wild pitch against the Cubs the other night.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:01 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Jack isn't good either. Career 67% success on sacrifices, well below league average.

What is league average? For my education, where can I access these numbers?

Again, I look at the situation . . . Jack will get a bunt down. McCutchen on second base, serious wheels. Anything on the ground and McCutchen is on third. Pirates have absolutely struggled to score runs lately. One of their better hitters (Sanchez) is on the bench. Jones - who has not hit before today - is in the line-up. An early run could be a shot of confidence not just for the offense but for Maholm as well.

But, hey, again . . . its just me . . . I tend to focus on the individual situation rather than what some table of success rates is over an 8 year career.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:03 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Quote:

Disagree. (respectfully of course) Go back and watch again if you can. Wright swipes his knee before the foot gets there. It is possible he may have missed, but it looks like he grazed him. Never go to 3rd with 2 outs if it is gonna be close, and that was way too close. I take my chances that Diaz would score and not risk the out. Sometimes you come out smelling like a rose even when making a bad play. Like Freddy scoring from 2nd on the wild pitch against the Cubs the other night.

I've got it freeze framed right now. If Wright's tag in on Vaquez's knee (and I think it is - I don't think he missed the tag), Vasquez's toe is touching third base.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:06 pm 

I froze it, too and I thought it looked like at the point Wright may have first made contact, Vasquez wasn't to the bag. But, whatever... my premise is still the same- too close of a play to go.

Oh my gosh, an Elmer Dessens sighting. :shock: Didn't know he was still in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:10 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

I'm sure No. 9 hopes so.

Fine, perhaps we should also look at the inning in which a bunt is called. When would it ever be a good idea to limit your ability to score multiple runs IN THE FIRST INNING? Especially against an awful pitcher like Tim Redding?

This is not the Deadball Era anymore, 9. One-run strategies should be left for times when one-run makes a huge difference. The first inning is not that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:17 pm 

When do we pull Maholm????????

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:18 pm 

Willton wrote:
Fine, perhaps we should also look at the inning in which a bunt is called. When would it ever be a good idea to limit your ability to score multiple runs IN THE FIRST INNING? Especially against an awful pitcher like Tim Redding?

This is not the Deadball Era anymore, 9. One-run strategies should be left for times when one-run makes a huge difference. The first inning is not that time.

And this is the 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates.
Tim Redding? Awful pitcher? You really want to make an argument about the 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates' performance against awful pitchers? With Wilson hitting second, Vasquez in the lineup, Sanchez on the bench and Garrett Jones in the lineup? I just bet that you were predicting that this lineup was going to put up 5 runs in the first four innings.
There is a psychological component to a game. Getting ahead, scoring the first run. For a team that has struggled to score recently with one of its better hitters on the bench . . . boost of confidence. And, there are 8 more innings in which you can score.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:26 pm 

Argentum wrote:
When do we pull Maholm????????

Ugly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

And this is the 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates.
Tim Redding? Awful pitcher? You really want to make an argument about the 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates' performance against awful pitchers? With Wilson hitting second, Vasquez in the lineup, Sanchez on the bench and Garrett Jones in the lineup? I just bet that you were predicting that this lineup was going to put up 5 runs in the first four innings.
There is a psychological component to a game. Getting ahead, scoring the first run. For a team that has struggled to score recently with one of its better hitters on the bench . . . boost of confidence. And, there are 8 more innings in which you can score.

9, I'm not a psychologist, but I'm going to go ahead and guess that the psychological effect of putting up multiple runs is a lot more demoralizing to the opposing team that simply scoring a single run.

But putting aside psychology, as that is neither of our fields, the time to sacrifice is not when you have an awful pitcher on the mound with a guy who has hit .341 in the last month. In the first inning.

You're focusing on the situation, I am too. I'm not looking at any run tables. I'm saying Jack is hitting well enough at this point, and Redding is pitching poorly enough, and you have a fast runner on second, and it's early in the game, so bunting is not what you do here.